Jeff & Zaneta's Teardrop Trailer Build + Window Instructions

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Jeff & Zaneta's Teardrop Trailer Build. Finished!

Postby 5speedsoffury » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:05 am

JaggedEdges wrote:Lexan gets destroyed by bugspray, DEET, get a speck on it and you'll fog the whole thing trying to wipe it off quick before you do any damage. Also any on hands and body parts will have you putting permanent fingerprints etc on it.

So apply any DEET 2 miles away down wind, and only come within 3 feet of the camper again after it's been 8 hours and a hot shower....

That is an important piece of information. BUT I believe I may be speaking for many people here. Since you know this information, do you know of any practical solutions or fixes to the problem? Maybe a simple over-sized screen protector of sorts that can be applied and removed when it gets damaged, scratched, knicked, etc. Or maybe for other future people looking to implement this awesome design feature, you may know of a superior material to make this sky viewer window.

Thanks for the heads up. The warning was nice but please consider leaving a fire extinguisher at the scene before waltzing out tipping lit candles on the way.

-Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:55 am

I read that differently. What I got was a message from someone who was really frustrated with themselves having been through an unfortunate occurrence wanting to make a firm impression so that others could avoid the same mistake.

Possible solution could be to apply one of those skin like plastic film materials like those fake stained glass window overlays if available in clear.

http://v-kool-usa.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAxeTFBRCGmIq_7rGt_r8BEiQANdPqUiVOavitIC6bGbeqHszU7VaHA5nLx3b4IG1Jgmp29sgaAsRK8P8HAQ
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby 5speedsoffury » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:55 am

KCStudly wrote:I read that differently. What I got was a message from someone who was really frustrated with themselves having been through an unfortunate occurrence wanting to make a firm impression so that others could avoid the same mistake.

Possible solution could be to apply one of those skin like plastic film materials like those fake stained glass window overlays if available in clear.

http://v-kool-usa.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAxeTFBRCGmIq_7rGt_r8BEiQANdPqUiVOavitIC6bGbeqHszU7VaHA5nLx3b4IG1Jgmp29sgaAsRK8P8HAQ

I can see it both ways. I might have been a little bummed by the post causing me to post as I did. I am currently newly moved and looking at working on my build again. I saw this post and was inspired. Then came along the information posted and all of a sudden I was once again back to the drawing board. Thanks for the link you posted KC.

No harm no foul just looking for solutions to a problem.

-Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:31 pm

I think I started this off-kilter thread-tsunami over the Lexan issue and would like to put this issue to bed.

My homebuilt aircraft had a Lexan windshield and it was the cat's meow and the proper material for that application (you just had to be aware of it's Achille's tendon). If I built a skylight in a teardrop, it too would be Lexan. You can shoot a bullet through the stuff and it won't crack like plexiglass. Any incoming rocks from truckers will bounce off their skylight like ping pong balls.

Now.... let's get back to admiring Jeff and Zaneta's sooooooper build. :thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby 5speedsoffury » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:07 pm

tony.latham wrote:I think I started this off-kilter thread-tsunami over the Lexan issue and would like to put this issue to bed.

My homebuilt aircraft had a Lexan windshield and it was the cat's meow and the proper material for that application (you just had to be aware of it's Achille's tendon). If I built a skylight in a teardrop, it too would be Lexan. You can shoot a bullet through the stuff and it won't crack like plexiglass. Any incoming rocks from truckers will bounce off their skylight like ping pong balls.

Now.... let's get back to admiring Jeff and Zaneta's sooooooper build. :thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:

Tony

Yes sir! I did one quick google search and the first article that popped up was a marine article addressing Lexan and cleaning/ care and protection of it. I'll have to do a little side research as I get closer to this stage.

http://www.mid-lifecruising.com/2013/07 ... n-and.html
Does anybody else have favorable reviews of this product protecting against DEET and cleaning well?

I am sorry for sidetracking this beautiful build. I just feel that this is valuable information to the thread. If anybody with more experience on this thread would like to take this discussion elsewhere or lead me and other newcomers to a thread within this forum that already covers this topic I would greatly appreciate it. Heck maybe even a sticky of sorts if it merits that kind of thing.

Thanks!

-Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jeffcreber » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:37 am

Hey JaggedEdges, Tony, Jeremy, and KC

This is exactly the kind of conversation I would love to see on this thread! And I don't feel like it's taking anything away form our build so there are no worries in that department!

A huge concern of mine with the polycarbonate window is it's reaction to chemicals. I've worked with polycarbonate in the past and had problems with clouding due to exposure. To be honest, I've mostly been concerned with what to clean the window with. Spraying bug spray near the window never even made it on my radar. So thank you "JaggedEdges", you may have just saved us some major grief in the future!

I've been thinking of putting some form of protective layer on before our trip however I've not come up with a solution yet. I'd like the protective layer to be without tint as well because we want to keep it crystal clear for the evenings. The only problem with a protective layer however is I'm sure it will eventually need to be replaced. And just putting that layer on may cause damage to the window.

So far, I've only been using water and a cloth to keep it clean. I'm going to take a look at that article posted regarding cleaning techniques.

Thank you all for the information!

-Jeff
Last edited by Jeffcreber on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jeffcreber » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:24 am

"Stargazer" Window Construction

Since posting our build, I’ve received a few inquires regarding the installation of our Lexan polycarbonate “stargazer” window. I figured I would do a proper set of instructions for anyone who would like to try this method with their build.

The windows was one of the most challenging aspects of our build however it has also been one of the most rewarding features. I was not able to find much information regarding custom window installation during my research stage so I pretty much had to wing it. This caused me some anxiety as I would be nearing the end of my build before I’d know if the window would work at all. Lucky for me, the method I used seems to have worked and I’ve had no leaks on multiple camping trips. The trailer has been driven through rain storms on the highway and it has held up just fine! Knock on wood... My wife and I are taking the trailer on a four month trip this summer so the window will receive plenty of road testing. I will post updates on how the window holds up and if we run into any problems.

BEFORE USING THIS METHOD: Please note that using polycarbonate as a window might not be allowed with RV's in some areas as it does not shatter upon impact. My trailer was already completed when I received this informations so it was a lesson learned too late. You may want to do a little research before using it with your own project. I wouldn’t want anyone to receive fines or worse because it doesn’t meet code. Use this information at your own risk.

Also note that my diagrams will show the window construction as flat. The construction is obviously curved in real life. You may also notice that the framing in my diagrams differs slightly from my actual construction pictures. My diagrams represent how I would do the framing on my next trailer having the knowledge that I have now. The modifications have been made to make the construction easier. Keep in mind that you are not restricted to the dimensions I have used in my example. This method can be applied to different shapes and sizes of trailers and window openings. Adjust your framing accordingly and remember to make sure your window edges line up with your spars for your screws. Also make sure the side framing of your window will be wide enough to maintain the shape of your window once it is installed. My Google Sketchup file is attached to this thread.

Now that all the blabbing is out of the way, lets begin!

Materials:
-5/8" x 1-1/8" Wooden Spars For Framing - (Use whatever type framing works for your design)
-1/8" Thick Lauan Plywood
-1/8" Thick UV Resistant Lexan Polycarbonate Sheet - (UV resistant to avoid future clouding)
-Aluminum Angle - (Interior Trim)
-Aluminum Flat Moulding - (To hold the exterior aluminum skin in place)
-Good Quality Countersink Drill Bit - (Good enough for aluminum)
-Stainless Steel Countersunk Head Screws
-Weather Sealant For Plywood
-RV Putty Tape
-ProFlex Flexible RV Sealant - (Use whatever clear sealant you have researched that works for you)
-Rubbing Alcohol & Disposable Cloths - (For the removal of clear sealant)
-Painters Tape
-Tuck Tape

The spars surrounding the window are doubled up. I did this because it makes it easier to fasten down the window with screws later on in the process. The two sections to the left and right of the window were made so the polycarbonate will hold it's shape once fastened down. It's hard to notice from this diagram however all of the framing where the window will sit has 1/8" shaved off on the exterior side. This will allow the window to sit flush with the rest of the trailer. This 1/8" depth difference will be apparent in upcoming diagrams. The spars on the interior of the trailer are all flush with each other.

Framing

Image Insulation

Insulation

Make note of the 1/8" depth difference for the window.

Skinned the framing & insulation with 1/8" lauan plywood. Treated the lauan with a few coats of water sealant to prevent rot in case any water manages to sneak in.

Make note that the 1/8th depth difference has been maintained after the luan plywood has been installed.

I installed the inner aluminum angle trim before installing the window. I did this so I could use clamps while the adhesive dried.

Interior aluminum angle trim.

I placed my aluminum skin over the window opening on the exterior of the trailer. I then traced out the window opening from the inside of the trailer prior to installing the window.

Putty tape was applied around the perimeter of the window opening prior to installing the window. This creates a proper internal seal.

ImageLexan window installed over the putty tape seal.

The Lexan window sits flush with the lauan plywood.

The top and the bottom of the Lexan window are screwed down into the wooden spars below. I put a screw in every 2 inches along the top and the bottom of the window. I did not use many screws on the sides of the window as I did not want to interfere with the screws that are used for the final exterior edge trim. The screws from the final exterior edge trim will be more than enough to hold down the sides of the window.

Make sure to pre-drill and countersink the screw holes in the Lexan before screwing it down. This way the screw heads will sit flush with he window. Before installing your screws, inject a little sealant in the screw holes. Do not get any sealant or chemicals on the visible portion of the window as it will cause damage.

ImageFor added protection, I tuck taped over any seam that would not be visible once the aluminum skin would be installed. I also did this over the screws at he top and bottom of the Lexan as it would also not be visible.

Measure out and cut 4 pieces of flat aluminum moulding that will be used to hold down the aluminum skin surrounding the perimeter of your window. Use a file to smooth the cut edges of the aluminum. Pre drill and countersink holes on your flat aluminum bars. Do a test run on a spare piece of aluminum first for practice. Place a screw in your countersunk hole to see if you are getting the right depth. I did my best to have my screw heads flush with the moulding. My holes are spaced approximately 2 inches apart.

Aluminum skin

Place some painters tape around the perimeter of your window for protection. Attach your aluminum skin at the top so it lines up exactly with your window. I temporarily attached each piece of moulding with a screw on each end and then predrilled and inserted screws in the remaining holes. Once you completed this process, remove the screws and moulding. Ensure that you label which piece of moulding was used for which quadrant of the window.

Clean off any metal shavings and debris. I used a vacuum to remove debris from the drilled holes.

Peel back the protective layer on the aluminum skin around the perimeter of the window opening. You are now prepped and ready re-install the moulding with sealant.

I ran a small bead of sealant along the bottom of my moulding before installing. I also injected sealant into each screw hole before screwing the moulding down. This creates a seal and prevents galvanic corrosion.

Aluminum moulding & skin

Now that your aluminum moulding is installed, clean off any excess sealant with disposable cloths and rubbing alcohol. This was recommended to me by an airplane mechanic. Worked wonders for me! Remove your painters tape and you should be good to go.

Some putty tape was squished out around the perimeter of the window. I cut away some excess putty however I left enough to keep a proper seal. I simply used my finger to pack it neatly against the moulding.

Enjoy your window!

Do some research before using any chemicals to clean your window. Using chemicals on Lexan will cause it to cloud. As far as I know, there is nothing you can do to fix it. I've yet to do proper research regarding cleaning techniques so I simply use a cloth and water for now. User "JaggedEdges" also mentioned to keep DEET bug spray away from the window. Don't spray it anywhere near the window as it will also cause damage. Feel free to post a reply if you have any valuable information regarding the cleaning and maintenance of Lexan Polycarbonate.

-Jeff
Attachments
Window Design.skp
Window Design Sketchup File
(457.17 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Last edited by Jeffcreber on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:36 am

Gawd, what a view.

And thanks for the in-depth tutorial.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jeffcreber » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:08 pm

dancam wrote:Thats awesome! :) were doing something almost identicle. From edmonton, wife and 2 kids, 3 months across Canada 32,000km, building a trailer, postponed a year until 2018, 5x10 trailer...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

That's great! I look forward to seeing your finished product. It will be an amazing trip. Pretty busy with a couple kids!
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JaggedEdges » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:32 pm

5speedsoffury wrote:
JaggedEdges wrote:Lexan gets destroyed by bugspray, DEET, get a speck on it and you'll fog the whole thing trying to wipe it off quick before you do any damage. Also any on hands and body parts will have you putting permanent fingerprints etc on it.

So apply any DEET 2 miles away down wind, and only come within 3 feet of the camper again after it's been 8 hours and a hot shower....

Since you know this information, do you know of any practical solutions or fixes to the problem? Maybe a simple over-sized screen protector of sorts that can be applied and removed when it gets damaged, scratched, knicked, etc. Or maybe for other future people looking to implement this awesome design feature, you may know of a superior material to make this sky viewer window.

Unfortunately I don't, I came by the info on a discussion about glazing boat cabins. I guess they have a particular problem in that they can't get very far away from them on the boat when they need to use it. Overemphasised the precautions a bit sarcastically, but definitely make sure of where the wind is blowing and try and at least wash your hands before handling.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Re: Jeff & Zaneta's Teardrop Trailer Build + Window Instruct

Postby dancam » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:24 pm

With the lexan not being safety glass it may not be legal in some places, i dont know, but its safe. The reason they have those rules for bigger self-propelled RV's is because your in them while its driving. Nobody is in your teardrop at highway speeds. Its no different than being in your house, your house windows arent safety glass either.
Also i while i have never broken lexan i have cut and worked with it a bunch. I cant imagine it being anywhere near as sharp as glass when it breaks. I broke a house window once while removing it too roughly and a large and very heavy piece that barely touched my hand cut me wide open. It could have cut my hand right off. I dont think lexan would do that.
Its also easier to clean a few large chunks of lexan off your bed if it breaks while driving than a bazillion shards of safety glass. I worked in autobody for quite a while and its basically impossible to clean every piece of glass from a broken window. It gets everywhere.

Jeffcreber wrote:
dancam wrote:Thats awesome! :) were doing something almost identicle. From edmonton, wife and 2 kids, 3 months across Canada 32,000km, building a trailer, postponed a year until 2018, 5x10 trailer...

That's great! I look forward to seeing your finished product. It will be an amazing trip. Pretty busy with a couple kids!

It will be quite busy, but should be a lot of fun. Were excited but a little dissapointed we had to delay it a year.
It wont look near as nice as yours! I only had 3 months to work on it this summer, spending 7 months working on the car im towing it with this winter, then i hope to have the trailer done this fall. Only got this far last summer:
Bottom half
Top half of the popup
ImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby rivernstream » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Thanks for the great tutorial. I think it's pretty sound given you are extending the lexan to the edges and you've got butyl tape in the right place, though I might put more on the edges too.

As for lexan protection, look in the boat forums I saw discussion about a product that wiped or sprayed on that protected from marine conditions and keep the lexan clear.
Here's what I found. Actually use this to protect my plastic kayak and other boating gear including latex gaskets.
http://www.autoaccessories4less.com/303 ... lastic.pdf
or this http://www.doctorklear.com/klear-to-sea.html
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by rivernstream on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
rivernstream
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 am

Regarding Lexan protection, how about using automotive paint protection film, a.k.a helicopter tape/film?

Back to your build, you have constructed a stunning beautiful and functional teardrop trailer. Enjoy your travels!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby 5speedsoffury » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:42 am

Jeff,

Thank you for posting this tutorial on the forum. The process that you used and the way you show it in both pictures and description lays out the steps needed in a straight forward approach. I hope to integrate this into my build as it gives a far greater viewing area then the available options on the market that I have found. Plus it is customizable to the size you want making it a great option for custom teardrops and tiny campers. :thumbsup:

Nice work! :applause:

-Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:13 pm

aggie79 wrote:Regarding Lexan protection, how about using automotive paint protection film, a.k.a helicopter tape/film?...
Or if it becomes contaminated or scratched, here is a product that works pretty well, because it is already protectively coated : Optic Armor at http://www.opticarmorwindows.com/default.asp. It looks similar to a product I've been around some, though I never used it, but some of my racing buddies used Percy's Speedglas
(which seems to be in short supply, or production ceased). In the dragracing environment, everyone has oil, standard gasoline, petroleum distillates, and racing fuel or alcohol fuel on their hands, and permeating air in the pit areas. Not to mention the airborne blow-by or contaminants encountered as you chase down a slower car (bracket racing format). Windows of this material seemed to not craze, or discolor, and we cleaned them with normal Windex (or alternate cleaners). Here's a snip of the coating claims on the Optic Armor site:
Optic Armor polycarbonate chemical resistant.PNG
Optic Armor polycarbonate chemical resistant.PNG (553.8 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals