Jeff & Zaneta's Teardrop Trailer Build + Window Instructions

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Jeff & Zaneta's Teardrop Trailer Build. Finished!

Postby Jeffcreber » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:40 am

tony.latham wrote:Sweeeeeeet build! I hope to get a glimpse of that peal down here south of the border.

Is that skylght lexan?

Tony

Hello Tony!

Thanks, we're really happy with how it turned out.

The skylight is Lexan Polycarbonate. I was informed later that using polycarbonate as a window might not be allowed with RV's as it doest not shatter upon impact. The work however was already completed so that was a lesson learned too late. I've yet to have any leaks or issues with it, knock on wood. It was quite a pain doing a custom skylight however the view in the evening is totally worth it.

-Jeff
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jeffcreber » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 am

glennK wrote:Wow! Nicely done! Great gracious lines and awesome window!
Greetings neighbour (from the Saskatoon area).
Glenn

Thank you Glenn!
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jeffcreber » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 am

azgreg wrote:Gorgeous! :applause: :beer:

Thank you!
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jeffcreber » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:45 am

Tom Horn wrote:Very nice. I love everything about your design.

Thank you Tom!
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jeffcreber » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:49 am

razorback wrote:WOW. Your documentation is Stellar. Attention to design and detail work is Superb. Congratulations on a truly Magnificent TD.
Just remember to treat your lady with the same dedication and love you put into your TD. Here's to the beginning of great adventures and memories!
Larry

Thank you for the kind words!
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jeffcreber » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:51 am

IndyTom wrote:You did an absolutely spectacular job. That is one of the most stunning designs I have ever seen for one of these little campers. You just got everything right. And the stargazing window awesome!

Tom

Thank you Tom! The window is our favourite feature of the trailer. It's amazing at night!
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jeffcreber » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:52 am

J.Pierson wrote:That is a beautiful and inspiring build!

Thank you very much!
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jeffcreber » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:53 am

noseoil wrote:Really like the design & execution! Looks like it should be good for a "few" miles the way it's put together.

Thank you! We're hoping it lasts a very long time. Being able to store it in the garage over the winters will help!
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 5speedsoffury » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:33 am

Jeffcreber wrote:
5speedsoffury wrote:That is a beautiful build! I really like the sky view window! I checked the Vintage technologies site and could not find it. Is that still produced and where can it be found?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Hello and thank you!

The only windows I purchased from Vintage technologies were the windows for the doors. The skylight was custom. I did plenty of searching on the internet and was unable to find a solution for a large skylight. I ended up using a UV resistant sheet pf polycarbonate.

I was informed later that using polycarbonate as a window might not be allowed with RV's as it doest not shatter upon impact. The work however was already completed so that was a lesson learned too late. If you check out the link I posted for our progress shots album, you can have a look at how I installed the sheet. I've yet to have any leaks or issues! Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Jeff

Thank you Jeff! I will look into that route and and see what I come up with. I appreciate you getting back to me on my question!

-Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:43 am

Jeffcreber wrote:
tony.latham wrote:Sweeeeeeet build! I hope to get a glimpse of that peal down here south of the border.

Is that skylght lexan?

Tony

Hello Tony!

Thanks, we're really happy with how it turned out.

The skylight is Lexan Polycarbonate. I was informed later that using polycarbonate as a window might not be allowed with RV's as it doest not shatter upon impact. The work however was already completed so that was a lesson learned too late. I've yet to have any leaks or issues with it, knock on wood. It was quite a pain doing a custom skylight however the view in the evening is totally worth it.

-Jeff

Hey, I LIKE Lexan. (It's achilles tendon-–as you probably know––is anything petroleum based-–instant crazing). It'll never break from a rock chip!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rivernstream » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:41 pm

Love this! How are you liking your fold out bed/bench? What did you use for the mechanism? I see some inspiration here from the vistabule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rivernstream
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jeffcreber » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:23 am

rivernstream wrote:Love this! How are you liking your fold out bed/bench? What did you use for the mechanism? I see some inspiration here from the vistabule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello and thank you! The fold out bed/bench is great. It's funny but the entire shape of the trailer was designed around the futon. The cabinets had to be designed on an angle to accommodate the bench in the upright position. The height had to be just right so we could sit up comfortably and the length had to be just right so our faces were not too close to the window. And I did not end up using a mechanism for the bed. I simply cut out handles that allow you to slide it up and down. I'll paste a link below that shows you how it functions:

Futon function video:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOYBUtk2iN14VO-OrzpFXed7wVT7Wo1jKs3G1xgeDcMlZS-ceCtZI8rtY1nDjHrAw/photo/AF1QipMpzgE2tqbmHssACqwGt65D5dUD4FkLZaXAaA9V?key=WDhleHlaQk1EcTVRX2Vua1pLRGZWbkxnXzlIZzZR

There is definitely inspiration from the Vistabule! As soon as my wife saw their huge window, it was game over for me. It was never an option for me to not incorporate a large window into our design. As much as a pain as it was to make it work, I'm glad she made me do it! We're going to be living out of our trailer for 4 months this summer so having a place to hang out inside when the weather is bad is a must.
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rivernstream » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:25 am

Thanks! Just sent you a pm. Four months on the road, I'm envious!! Looks like you are well prepared, down to the cupholders and tunes.
rivernstream
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:41 pm

Thats awesome! :) were doing something almost identicle. From edmonton, wife and 2 kids, 3 months across Canada 32,000km, building a trailer, postponed a year until 2018, 5x10 trailer...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby JaggedEdges » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:45 am

Lexan gets destroyed by bugspray, DEET, get a speck on it and you'll fog the whole thing trying to wipe it off quick before you do any damage. Also any on hands and body parts will have you putting permanent fingerprints etc on it.

So apply any DEET 2 miles away down wind, and only come within 3 feet of the camper again after it's been 8 hours and a hot shower....
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals