New build, a standrop....Update 11-28-17

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: New build, a standrop....

Postby duke » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 am

Looking good, Steve. Love the profile. How thick is the plywood the drop floor is made of?
There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure. - Mark Twain
Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:19 pm

duke wrote:Looking good, Steve. Love the profile. How thick is the plywood the drop floor is made of?

Thanks Duke. The entire floor is 3/4" thick.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kim Armstrong » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:23 am

Any updates yet???? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:18 am

The droop down for feet when sleeping. Hard or fabric? The idea of a slide out box crossed my mind. Folding mattress of course but seemed more secure be and warmer in cold weather.

Great build. Looking forward to more pictures.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Well I made a little more progress. Got the axle installed and put the old small 12" wheels on for now. The 14" will go on at the end. Baggage door is fit and the AC unit will pull out when in use.

Put the new 1 piece vinyl flooring down. Finished the framing on both sides. I decided to put a small sink in just for convenience. It will sit right above the blue water jugs.

Now I will start some of the cabinets up front in the kitchen area.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kim Armstrong » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:22 am

Looking Good!
Kim Armstrong

Postby KennethW » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Like you AC mounting. Clever.
One could do the same thing with a plastic tub for a bed foot well on a 5' wide standrop.
There would be no real weight in a foot well slid out.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:12 pm

I like your build and your idea of tilt-out. Did you see cabana caravans? Hardwall tiltout or slide-out maybe :thinking: ?
https://www.facebook.com/CabanaCaravan
OP827
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:39 pm

I bet the key for your baggage door is a CH751. That's what all of mine were...

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:41 pm

bdosborn wrote:I bet the key for your baggage door is a CH751. That's what all of mine were...

Bruce

I can't say for "security reasons" Bruce. :lol:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:43 pm

OP827 wrote:I like your build and your idea of tilt-out. Did you see cabana caravans? Hardwall tiltout or slide-out maybe :thinking: ?

I had been playing with a tip out like that last week. Still trying to figure a good way to seal it up.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:27 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:
OP827 wrote:I like your build and your idea of tilt-out. Did you see cabana caravans? Hardwall tiltout or slide-out maybe :thinking: ?

I had been playing with a tip out like that last week. Still trying to figure a good way to seal it up.

A slide out instead of tip out could be easier, more economical to fabricate and seal. Provides more space too. That is perhaps why we don't see too many tip-outs on the road like that.
I looked at some slide-out patents and noted that main idea is to keep bottom edge seal more recessed inside the wall so that water drops from the top and sides edges can run down. For top and sides the sealing edge could be approximately in the middle of wall or even at the external surface, while bottom edge is about inside the wall thus creating a gap for water to freely run down. Slide guides and horizontal surfaces may have to be slightly slopped towards exterior as well, so the water does not crawl inside. For such relatively short and light slide-out, this seems to be achievable?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Kim Armstrong » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:16 am

Hope you are making progress. If so we are waiting for a report! :dancing :dancing
Kim Armstrong

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:43 am

OP827 wrote:
Woodbutcher wrote:

A slide out instead of tip out could be easier, more economical to fabricate and seal. Provides more space too. That is perhaps why we don't see too many tip-outs on the road like that.
I looked at some slide-out patents and noted that main idea is to keep bottom edge seal more recessed inside the wall so that water drops from the top and sides edges can run down. For top and sides the sealing edge could be approximately in the middle of wall or even at the external surface, while bottom edge is about inside the wall thus creating a gap for water to freely run down. Slide guides and horizontal surfaces may have to be slightly slopped towards exterior as well, so the water does not crawl inside. For such relatively short and light slide-out, this seems to be achievable?

Interesting idea. Why not a slide out that has a bottom, sides, and end - opened on top and of course inside - and a top hinged "top" - which would seem easier to seal and latch against wall - or even inset into a rabbet or recess in the wall. When it's open, the sides with a sloped top would meet the top hinged top, and shed water. The top probably wants to be several inches larger than the the slide out "box", to shed precipitation when set up.

Could be improved with the latch being inside, so just unlatch and push box out, raising the top on plastic sliders or rollers.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:32 pm

QueticoBill wrote:
OP827 wrote:
Woodbutcher wrote:

Interesting idea. Why not a slide out that has a bottom, sides, and end - opened on top and of course inside - and a top hinged "top" - which would seem easier to seal and latch against wall - or even inset into a rabbet or recess in the wall. When it's open, the sides with a sloped top would meet the top hinged top, and shed water. The top probably wants to be several inches larger than the the slide out "box", to shed precipitation when set up.

Could be improved with the latch being inside, so just unlatch and push box out, raising the top on plastic sliders or rollers.

I have been working on the inside cabinets up front the last week. Next I move over to the bump out wall. I'll have to make a decision soon. Part of the trouble I'm running into is a way to draw the bump tight both when it's out and when it's closed. I do not want ugly hardware on the outside. As a mater of fact I want to make the bump out as invisible as I can. Thanks for the ideas, I'll work on them.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals