New build, a standrop....Update 11-28-17

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: New build, a standrop....Update 8-2-17

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue May 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Squeezed the trailer out into the sunlight today. Sanded the inside walls and spray finished the Birch interior walls. I used an industrial Conversion Varnish. Nasty stuff but hard as nails when it cures. I hate using the stuff in such close quarters but I could complete the miserable job in just 2 hours.

Now I can install the cabinets that I made 2 weeks ago and get busy on the electrical and the galley. Lots to do!
Last edited by Woodbutcher on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Re: New build, a standrop....

Postby OP827 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:06 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: and plywood wheels are great idea. Where did you buy that industrial varnish, do you have a link to product datasheet?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue May 09, 2017 7:34 pm

I am a cabinet maker. This is what I use when making Kitchen Cabinets or bar tops. It is a 2 part finish with a catalyst. Not something you can buy very many places. Some Sherwin Williams may carry their brand. It is only an interior product and must be sprayed. But, I used it in my teardrop, and this is year 5 and it still looks like new.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby sgarciaone » Thu May 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Why don't pictures show?? I can't see any of them.. :(
sgarciaone
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu May 11, 2017 2:02 pm

Beautiful craftsmanship as usual! Love the wheels...very Flinstone-esque. :D
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby crpngdth2001 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Amazing design and detail so far. Can't wait to see more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crpngdth2001
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Well I have made some progress since returning from Vacation. All the ridged insulation is in the walls and the roof, with the exception of the last foot of the roof. I have the electric charger/inverter in the top corner. I want to wire in all the electric while it is easily accessible. Then I will button up the last piece of the roof and the 2 side compartments on the rear end.

I next went on and skinned over the insulation with a layer of 1/8th inch.

Started working in the galley. The hatch will be only 4' wide. The 6" spaces will be storage accessible from the inside. Since there is an inside kitchen also the galley will be a little simple.

Inside front cabinets are finished and installed. Still have to build a bench to cover the porta potti that will be to the right of the counter top extension.

The cabinet sitting on the floor is waiting to be finished with clear. It will have 2 storage cabinets with a TV in the center. It gets mounted up at the ceiling above the bump out for my feet.

More to come!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:20 pm

This trailer has all necessities in a nice compact package. Cannot wait for side slideout build pictures. How big is your shop btw? I am planning to move to a new place and thinking of building a shop/garage there from scratch....
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:54 am

My shop is just a large 3 car garage. Usually large enough, but the trailers take up a lot of space during the building process. If I had my choice, I would double it's size and have a larger door. I could then avoid the Flintstone wheels. :lol:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mallymal » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Looking really good! Did you think any more about the slide out?

Like you I'm 6'2" .... I just can't settle on a design, but your words about getting dressed lying on the bed really made me think that I ought to do something similar, as I'm a creaky 59 year old, with a bit too much extra padding! :lol:

So now I'm playing with ideas in my head for a slide out too, but within the confines of a much smaller trailer.

I'm thinking maybe a slightly elevated bed (within a 5' high and 5' wide cabin), which would slide out sideways, complete with its own "headboard wall" , letting you still sit up in bed in comfort. I'll be using our substantial tent trailer as the "donor vehicle" so there will be plenty of canvas etc to play with for the slide out weatherproofing.

THe fact the whole elevated bed slides out would create a small floor space at the foot of the bed, and a small gap either side.

Then there would be just one entry door on the facing wall. Not sure how climbing in and out would work tho, as you wouldn't be swinging on and off a mattress by the door.

Anyway, food for thought, and really enjoying your build log. Thanks for the inspiration. :applause:
mallymal
The 300 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Right now, my plan is to make a slide out drawer so to speak. The door on the outside will be hinged on the top like a baggage door. The bump out will only need to be about 18" long. That will give me 80" of bed. The slide out will have a slight slope on it that allows the lid to shed water in a storm. In my head it all makes sense. Now can I make it work for real? My only real concern is making it water proof. I've got a pair of heavy duty locking slides that will go under the slide out. A good pull will compress the gasket and set the locking feature. Drop the lid/roof down and use some draw latches to lock the top to the pullout.

I started out planning on using canvas and making it like a pop up. I even made a working model of the wood. But then I got to thinking that the canvas will not keep the heat in or the bears out and if it is wet I'm closing it up on my bed. So I changed gears and went with the wood slide out. Even if I close it in the rain, all the water is on the outside away from my bedding. I can always towel it off before closing it up if I need to.

Enjoy your build, it's a big part of the fun!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby REIGNSS » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:39 am

Woodbutcher wrote:I am a cabinet maker. This is what I use when making Kitchen Cabinets or bar tops. It is a 2 part finish with a catalyst. Not something you can buy very many places. Some Sherwin Williams may carry their brand. It is only an interior product and must be sprayed. But, I used it in my teardrop, and this is year 5 and it still looks like new.

This explains your skills and beautiful craftsmanship!
REIGNSS
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:08 am

REIGNSS wrote:
Woodbutcher wrote:I am a cabinet maker. This is what I use when making Kitchen Cabinets or bar tops. It is a 2 part finish with a catalyst. Not something you can buy very many places. Some Sherwin Williams may carry their brand. It is only an interior product and must be sprayed. But, I used it in my teardrop, and this is year 5 and it still looks like new.

This explains your skills and beautiful craftsmanship!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Well it has been awhile since my last post. But that does not mean nothing has been done, but some things just don't show up in pictures. All the interior electric is in, both 12volt and 110. The inside cabinets are now installed. I still have to enclose and make my porta potti into a bench.

Inside shelf over the headboard is in.

This is a spun aluminum 110 light fixture that I added 12 volt LED lights to and wired to the 12 volt side.

Below the bed are 2 long deep drawers. They open into the drop floor area. In the back corner you will see another cabinet coming in from the galley. It allowed me to make 2 very deep storage drawers in the galley that used under bed storage. I used Cherry for the fronts. I think I am going to trim out all the seams and gaps with thin strips of Cherry for some contrast. I did this in a past build and it looked real nice.

The counter top is in. The faucet and water needs to be done. Pump is already in and wired. Still looking for back splash ideas.

This cabinet is over the bump out and will hold a small TV, and clothes.

These three drawers are in the galley. The 2 deep ones extend into the cabin under the bed. My stove will ride in the bottom drawer. I bought the 3 handles years ago and finally had a place for 3 handles. Top drawer is for cooking utensils with a small sliding silver ware drawer.

Galley is getting close. The large center area with all the spring clamps is where the hatch goes. The 2 small side side sections will get skinned and the tail lights will go there.

More to come!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:37 pm

:thinking: You're definitely thinking outside the box on some of this and one can tell that a lot of thought went into it all. ...Very interesting!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals