It officially begins

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: It officially begins

Postby Tigris99 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:24 pm

And end of day today.Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:05 pm

And ready for the sheeting finally. Storms expected the first half of the week though so likely going to get the door and hatch frames made tomorrow. Being built outside is kind of a bear at times and i dont trust a simple tarp or plastic sheet to hold up to storms.Image

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby HMK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:05 pm

Looks like a lot of angles. Good work!
HMK
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:29 am

Thanks, except last night i got home (ran over to run the wiring for lights and such quick) it hit me, i put a 45 in the top corner of the door design, but my window i had planned to go in the door i think is too wide. Gotta run over and measure as i dont want the window too low.

Going to suck if i have to redo that, frame is glued and screwed in...

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:05 pm

Ok door and hatch frames done, skinning has begun. Should have it fully ready for PMF by the end of tomorrow.ImageImageImageImage

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:21 pm

Your moving right along. :thumbsup: Did you figure out your window in your door to see if it will work.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Oh ya, a tad lower (1.5") than i planned but its good.

As of right this minute i just finished skinning the inside (except the nose) about to router door and window holes and start cutting the xps foam to fill in all the voids in the framing.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Redneck Packrat » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Just found your build thread, read through it from the start.

Looking good! :thumbsup: That's gonna be one rigid, tough-ass camper! Wow.

Good choice to have some room for kitchen equipment. I found myself nodding in agreement with your and your wife's preferred cooking methods but it's always good to have alternatives. Kinda demoralizing to sit there and stare at a raw steak during a burn ban! Been there, done that, got smarter real quick! :lol:

Subscribing. I'm sure I'll have a few "DOH" moments since we're roughly at the same point in our respective builds.
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Ya its a little over built but skin is 1/4 (3/16 actual). Had i realized how tough xps foam is i would have not put so much bracing in it.

Didnt get as far as i wanted, got called off it for a bit.

Inside is fully covered, both sides have foam now ourside, just have to foam the top so i can put the outside panels on.

Ive got 10-12 days to get this useable. Figure i should be down to just building the galley inside by then.

Way too much to get done and going to be hot as crap every day between now and then.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Redneck Packrat » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:13 pm

You're gonna be finished long before me, then. I'm guessing at least a month on my build. Maybe more. But then I need it substantially complete to be used for its intended purpose: Bugging out with a wheelchair and specialized necessaries. But if something out in the Gulf gets a name, I'm close enough to get high behind on it and MAYBE outrun something! :shock: :?
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:24 pm

Ya I dont need to galley completed. As long as water jug and cooler can go in its good enough. Sleeping compartment after exterior is all the MUST be done. Galley is a "luxury". I may not even get the front overhead shelf installed in time. We shall see. At least one exterior is completely done, windows and doors on it can come home. A lot easier to work on it when i so have to drive to my parents place.

You have your work cut out for you way more than i do, thats for sure. Even my galley will be simple. Sink that slides out thats it. Space for the cooler, overhead storage for dry food and whatever else.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Finally looks like something!!! Having "help" has slowed progress a little bit the last couple days working on it. But hes enjoying it. Was a big help cutting the foam. I cut it using my jig saw so pieces always hanging off the work bench. He would hold them for me so the last little bit didnt break off.

Now just that front panel and any sanding i need to do before begining PMF.

Seems pre-shrinking is going to probably work best so ill take the "canopies" off them and use the frames to hang the canvas over.

Not sure if i shared this, but i found 12ft x 15ft canvas drop cloth on Amazon with no seams! So main square will be seamless. But if putting the skin on the nose was any indication, thats going to be a challenge to make it look clean lol.ImageImageImage

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Finally got all the sheeting done inside and out, sanded and ready for PMF.

Too hot today all the way till sunday to try and do the PMF, paint will dry too fast. Sucks cause that puts me behind and the most time consuming part is the aluminum in the door frames, seals and all that to get them mounted and things sealed up.

Next day on it Ill get the bunk and bulk head installed and interior caulking done. May end up painting the interior before the PMF goes on at this rate.ImageImageImage

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:20 pm

Sons Bunk is done (blocks holding pressure on the plywood while glue dries)

Upper and lower parts of the bulkhead are in. Found a great use for the triangles i ripped off 2x4s to build the front. Mounting points for the luan for the bulkheads. Nothing for our son to hit his head on. Plus made nice use of "scrap".

Galley hatch and door ready for skin coating as well.

Weather will be cooperative monday to do the main PMF covering. I have till Thursday afternoon to try and have this useable (everything except galley done).ImageImageImageImageImage

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Just went to check things after the storms overnight and get some measurements for the front shelf. My son wanted to try out his bunk while we were there:

ImageImage

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals