It officially begins

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: It officially begins

Postby Tigris99 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:15 pm

So.... i was saying enough cuss words to make anyone blush and a priest keel over.

We got the worst storms Ive seen in 10 yrs overnight last night, including a tornado that missed my place by a mile and my parents place by about half a mile (where the trailer is). Second tornado spawned about 10miles north of this one as well.

6.5" of rain over night, 1st line (tornadoes) was about 7pm. 2nd and the worst for the rain was about 5 am. Lots of flooding, thank goodness both my parents place and mine are up on hills!

Trailer looked fine when I stopped by today to check it. Pulled the tarp off to let any moisture dry out, saw water on the roof. Didnt look too bad. At first nothing a little glue and a few staples at edges cant fix.

Then i looked at the roof around the hole for the vent, big section starting at the seam extending about 12" back was warped. It delaminated..... the water had soaked in by the time i got there, appears tarp got damaged by the high winds.

Now i get to pull off the back half of the roof, 5x4 thats fulls stapled and glued. And piano wire method is out because i gotta do it by myself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby HMK » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:52 am

I'm sorry to hear about your trailer, but I'm glad everyone is safe.
HMK
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:33 am

Tigris99 wrote:Ok came to realize a Honda Odyssey sits too damn low to use a standard 2" drop hitch around here. Hit a badly uneven transition at an intersection and the threads of the ball scraped. (No trailer just left the ball on because I don't need the bike rack back on yet).

So just ordered new perches and ubolt/plate kit so I can move the axle under the springs and flip the ball on the hitch. Way cheaper than buying and installing air spring kit or similar when this trailer loaded is going to be half or less than tongue rating for the van. Don't want to mess with the van more than absolutely necessary. I had expected it to have a trans cooler already installed since previous owners towed a small fishing boat with it but nope.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Sucks what just happened with the tornado :/
But in referance to this, is it still a little low or perfect now? And what type of springs do you have, slipper or with a shackle?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Dirtclod » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:29 am

HMK wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your trailer, but I'm glad everyone is safe.

Man I hate to hear that but like HMK said, just glad all are safe. The teardrop can (and I'm sure will be) fixed.
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Dan

Not sure yet, it was good when i loaded the lumber onto the trailer to take it all out to my parents place to start the build.

Thanks everyone, seems NO major injuries from the storm, nothing reported or known. I did track the damage path and many have no idea what happened. Started further west, on the iowa side of the river. Following uprooted trees, large limbs down the track was about 10 miles long so far. Damage path has it missing my house by a small town block. (100-150yrds).

About 3/4 of a mile away entire tops of large trees just sheared off, power pole snapped about 25 ft up, top of a garage gone, then it finally hit ground level. Couple steel buildings trashed, few trees uprooted, mowed over path through corn fields.

Thank god no one was hurt. The storm was dumping so much rain plus high winds that everyone was safe in the area!

Did find debris in my parents back yard though. Being called a strong F1 as of last check.

I am SO PISSED though. I dont like musicals but we have whats called the showboat. Musicals and theatre (small scale but its inside an old riverboat). Wife conned me into going with her since we had free tickets. As we headed over i saw the storm as we cross the bridge, saw exactly where the storm would drop a tornado if it was going to. Tried to convince my wife to let me turn around cause i had enough time to grab my gear and get to a safe spot so i could chase the storm after it passed over. Nope...

As for water damage, not sure how i got lucky as hell, divine intervention is what Im calling it. Never had luan survive it.

But only some delamination at the seam. After drying then tarp back on till yesturday evening the roof has a slight wave to it but is totally solid!!! The edge i pried up and forced a ton of TB2 into it, then sat blocks on it for several hours.

I thought because of the warp it had delaminated a large section but seems maybe that only surface layer was wet and initial rapid drying caused it to warp badly. But cant even see the slight wave to it now and just barely feel it except for at the seam.

Needs sanded at the seam to get it perfectly even again but good to go now.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:20 pm

All this said, Im glad i kind of over built the camper. Need something with a bit tougher due to all this. Its been getting more severe each year around here.

We have been joking with getting more xps foam to fill the underside of the camper/trailer so it can float if needed hehe.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:13 am

Todays progress:

Not much but finishing level work takes forever.

Overhead shelf face done and installed. Switches and USB port just there for the pic.

Then our pull out sink. Put the bowl in so you can see where im headed with it. Cant justify $100 for a stainless sink basin. $6 stainless dog dish instead. Still have to cut the hole and install the drain system. Water tank fits just perfectly underneath (pump with foot pedal switch will be behind it).

Hope to get overhead shelf in the galley done tomorrow then odds and ends to make sure everything is ready for skin/paint. Probably get the electrical all hooked up in the rear tomorrow night too.

I know there is little stuff im not thinking of but my brain is stuck on getting it painted/skinned so i can get going on putting windows and doors in.ImageImageImage

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Galley wood work is more or less finished, started on electrical.

Think any real wood work is done. Wife should hopefully start on interior painting tomorrow.

Wife is working on the small awning fabric that will be over the side door and give a small covered area to sit.Image

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:53 pm

And sometimes you catch a break, i need to make a little intermediate piece but the roof vent (with fan, was same price as without) i ordered was perfect to mount 140mm computer fans in. Move 3x more air, draw 1/4 the power and way quieter!

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:08 pm

I forgot to take a pic but PMF is done on the main shell.

The paint i was going to use was some nasty smelling crap, so ran to Home Depot. Got 4 gallons of Behr Marquee matte oops paint for $36. Looks like poop in a can (can see why customer didnt want it) but does the job.

Me and my wife were covered, PMF is a pain in the ass. Probably wont be so bad if we chose to build another one at some point. Had a mistake and understand why doing walls while laying flat is so much easier. Didnt get enough paint into the canvas first go so it didnt stick like it should. Pulled it up, flipped it up and soaked it.

But not it looks and feels like brown concrete on the roof which was what we did first and was dry by the time we finished the rest.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:43 pm

And its blue!!!Image

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Painting done, back on the trailer (had blocks holding it up so i could wrap the canvas underneath).

Roof vent and side window in!

Get the aluminum in the door frames, seals on and aluminum flashing on the back and just the last bit of electrical remains!

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:31 pm

Aluminum installed on the rear and for the galley hatch seal. Door fitted and installed the porch light.ImageImage

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 am

Wow. You have gotten a lot done since last week :thumbsup:

Looks Great. Love the blue color. You are in the home stretch now.
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:58 pm

Galley hatch almost done, just add latches.

Lost of little stuff got done, still a fair bit more little stuff to do, all by thursday....ImageImage

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals