Building our 6 x 10 benroy

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Building our 6 x 10 benroy

Postby AllenS » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:37 pm

It was suggested that I start a build journal, so here goes. :)

What I’m building is a 6 x 10 benroy. It’s actually 5.5 x 10 because we couldn’t locate a 6 x 10 trailer to put it on, and I don’t have the equipment to build one, but we'll be able to fit a queen size mattress in there so that’ll do.

So far I’ve got the floor insulated, sealed up and bolted to the trailer. I’m now working on the side walls. I already have aluminum sheeting, the doors, port holes, ceiling vent and other odds and ends piled up against one wall in my garage. I made the last big purchase last night, ordering the lights, battery, 100w solar panel and various other things needed for the electrical system. So long as I don’t completely screw something up, the only things I have left to purchase for it are plywood and spars for the ceiling and roof.

Of course, the wife still hasn’t made up her mind about the interior décor...

There isn't much to show yet but I'll upload more photos as I go.

Last edited by AllenS on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Re: Building our 6 x 10 benroy

Postby bam1028 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Hey that's a great start. I like the benroy shape you have created. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
bam1028
Teardrop Advisor

Postby AllenS » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:14 pm

One thing I'm learning throughout this process, is that I can't follow a line with a router to save my life.
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Clamps and a straight edge are your friend.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby AllenS » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:40 pm

KCStudly wrote:Clamps and a straight edge are your friend.

Yeah. :) Finally figured that one out last night.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Last edited by AllenS on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Postby AllenS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 pm

An update here is long overdue.

I did a bunch of work on the teardrop toward the end of the summer, and through the fall, but haven't touched it in a few months now. I'm planning on getting back at it soon so that we can use it this spring.
I'm a little further than what's in these photos. I have quite a bit of the electronics wired into it now, but haven't yet touched the galley or the hatch.

We're both very pleased with how it's coming along, and it's been a fun project.

Click here to see the photos
Last edited by AllenS on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:07 am

Looking really good Allen. Moving right along.. :thumbsup:
How are you planning on venting the AC? :thinking:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby AllenS » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:10 am

Staryder61 wrote:Looking really good Allen. Moving right along.. :thumbsup:
How are you planning on venting the AC? :thinking:

Thanks!

I'm putting a vent in the roof, right above it, and possibly a bit of duct work in one side for the intake, so that it's not sucking in it's own exhaust.
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Postby AllenS » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:29 pm

Got the TV mounted over the weekend, started on the port holes in the ceiling, and also got started on the tongue box that's going to hold the battery and the power center.

I was against having a TV in the teardrop, but my wife was very insistent. So there's a TV in the tear drop. It's a nice, little 12 volt, 19 inch LED screen that got good reviews on Amazon. I'm setting up a Raspberry Pi as a media center, so we can watch movies off of a USB hard disc, or stream things if there is a wireless connection handy.

The port holes turned out to be trickier than I anticipated. We're putting them in the ceiling, to allow more light in. The ceiling/roof is going to be almost two inches thick, and the port holes aren't designed to be used in a surface that thick. Namely, it renders the trim pieces that came with them useless. So I fired up Google Sketchup and modeled up some of my own, and I'm printing those off on one of the 3D printers at the library where I work. I printed off a test section yesterday, and it looks pretty good. It's nice and smooth, I'll be able to drill holes in them to mount them, and I'm printing them in white so that we can paint them.

I originally planned to put the battery and power center in the galley, but with everything we want to put back there, there just isn't enough space. So I'm building a tongue box, and I'll be putting it all in there. I'm planning on using some old PC fans and dryer duct to provide some airflow through the thing, and hopefully keep the temperature down in there. I don't know that I'll have enough left over aluminum to skin the tongue box, so for now I'll just put a good water seal on it, and paint it. I'll dress it up when the budget is more cooperative.

There isn't much left to do. We're not planning on finishing the galley right away. I'm going to put some simple shelving and cupboards in there to start, and we'll camp it a few times to get an idea of how we want to arrange things back there. I'll either finish that up later in the summer, or this fall/winter.

At this rate, if I keep on it, she should be ready to camp by the beginning of May.

We're both very excited about it.
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Postby steve cowan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:23 pm

Great job you're doing.Looks very nice. :thumbsup:
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby AllenS » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:44 pm

steve cowan wrote:Great job you're doing.Looks very nice. :thumbsup:

Glad you like!
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Postby AllenS » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Making pretty good progress. I've been working on it every Sunday, and when ever I can manage on week day evenings. I think we're on track for our May 1st deadline.

The cabin is basically finished, just needs a bit of touch-up work. I'm putting together the galley now. After that it's insulating and sealing up the roof, then the hatch, then time to skin it!
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Return to Build Journals