Woody Teardrop Kit Some assembly required

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Woody Teardrop Kit Some assembly required

Postby Woodpecker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Bustle Wings all trimmed, routed and mounted.

Ready for Formica and a hatch.

Got the second coat of Marine varnish on it. Shiny!
Woodpecker
Teardrop Master

Postby dwighthz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:17 pm

I'm looking down the road when building a woody. How do you "create" trim pieces that have "serious" curves in them? Do you cut shorter pieces from wide boards 6" to 10" wide and piece them together? I was looking at using a lamination method to build the curved trim on the walls. Thanks DZ :roll:
dwighthz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:02 pm

There are many ways to do this, but here is what I did. I made my trim out of solid wood. Soft maple over Mahogany plywood walls. The frame was assembled in one piece, using as few pieces as possible to have fewer joints. I used a Kreg Pocket cutter at each joint. The parts that have tighter curves can be done by just joining wood where needed to make the curve. I biscuit joined the extra pieces on first. Then traced the curve from a 1/4" plywood pattern, that fits the profile on the trailer. Make sure your biscuits are not where your cut is going to be. In this picture you can see I screwed and plugged the mahogany on first into the interior frame work. If you use 3/4 plywood for the walls you would not have that problem. Then seal both sides of the walls and the decorative Woody framework. Screw as many places as possible from the inside to hold the frame on. Again use the framework on the inside and plug the countersunk hole with a wood dowel plug. Hope you can make sense of this.

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodpecker » Mon May 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Wing hardware done inside and out. LED trailer lights 100% in and checked at the plug, Tongue on and the weight is...........5 pounds! It's the perfect balance I still have to put on the tongue box with a battery in it so it should have around 50 to 75 pounds at the tongue on a 750 pound trailer. Feels good to be back on it!

Woodpecker
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodpecker » Mon May 21, 2018 5:23 pm

dwighthz wrote:I'm looking down the road when building a woody. How do you "create" trim pieces that have "serious" curves in them? Do you cut shorter pieces from wide boards 6" to 10" wide and piece them together? I was looking at using a lamination method to build the curved trim on the walls. Thanks DZ :roll:

Sorry I missed the question. I shifted gears 100% to the Combat Robots until Last week actually. Just now getting back to the Tears.
That's exactly what I did. i worked the curves to get the most out of a trim board, jigsawed and band-sawed the shape then routed it all in place.
I made sure to match the outsides crossovers side to side but not with the inside frame.
Having the trim joints in other places than the frame joints makes it stronger. I think anyway. :D
Woodpecker
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals