Not so tiny offroad tiny trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Not so tiny offroad tiny trailer

Postby 2manytoyz » Wed May 03, 2017 9:07 am

Welcome to my build. What i am building is a somewgat off the beaten path capable small trailer to be towed behind my silverado 1500.the goals are to be beach and off grid capable to camp on various properties I have access to butdo nothave maintained roads or utilities. Previously I haveowned a pop up which was destroyed by the areas we like to go.

We decided on a tiny travel trailer for mainly two reasons one is to have a bathroom and two is so I could have a larger bed size as I am 6'8" tall. I have been through a couple of designs and finalized on 133" x 80" on 35" tires to match the tow vehicle. I will post the design renderings this evening as I do not have them on my phone.

So i ordered my steel this is not going to be a lightweight the base frame is 2"x3"x1/4" the wall frames are 1"x2"x1/8 and the tounge is 3"x3"x1/4"

After buyinng the metal I decided to get a harbor freight metal cutting band saw as my abrasive disk chop saw tends to be a pain in the neck and lots of sparks when cutting

Brought it home put it togeather and started cutting. It is not a speed demon but it cuts 2x3x1/3 at a 45 degree miter in about ten miniutes a cut. Nice clean cuts I usually dont buy off brand tools but this one has impressed me.

Then it was time to start welding it togeather here is progress day one still need to flip it over and weld other
Image[/url]

Last edited by 2manytoyz on Sun May 07, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Re: Not so tiny offroad tiny trailer

Postby 2manytoyz » Wed May 03, 2017 9:54 am

Here are some concept drawings. They are a guideline for me as most of the plans are in my head.

[url=http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Brian_Goldate/media/Trailer%20build/A1B8E1F5-06CF-4C65-9B40-03984E9E[URL=http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Brian_Goldate/media/Trailer%20build/AE1AE9AE-24F9-44E9-AD21-1EF03CAAD0F3_zpshoznm8zh.jpg.html]Image[/url]B509_zps8o9byaat.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

And here is a pic of the tow vehicle it i a 2015 silverado Z71 with a 7.5 in arough Country lift

2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby 2manytoyz » Fri May 05, 2017 6:00 am

05/04/2017

Not a lot to update got the frame flipped overand welded on the other side. Also got it weighed. As it sits comes in at 564.6 lbs. I was actually expecting it to be heavier.

Last edited by 2manytoyz on Sun May 07, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby IndyTom » Fri May 05, 2017 6:44 am

This is an interesting build. I look forward to watching it all come together. I particularly like your pull-out galley. That is a really cool idea.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby 2manytoyz » Fri May 05, 2017 7:07 am

Thank you, we had a pop up and The smell of the camper after cooking bacon drove me nits so I figured I would move the cooking outside on this one. Also allows me to use a standard waterproof boat deck hatch so makes sealing easier for me.
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby bdosborn » Fri May 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Boy there sure are a lot of toolboxes in that last picture. This should be a great build with all those tools!

:thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby 2manytoyz » Fri May 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Years of collecting tools and an understanding wife lol 8)
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby 2manytoyz » Sat May 06, 2017 3:30 pm

05/06/2017

Today's update made a little more progress. Welded the rest of the topside of the frame, welded up the rear overhang, started on the wall framing, and lit my self on fire :shock:

It's getting hot in here, dang arm is hot, hmm what's that smell OHHHHH #@*# I am on fire! Luckily all turned out fine besides a ruined shirt. This is why you don't weld in flannel

Might get back to it a little more later but we shall see
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby 2manytoyz » Sun May 07, 2017 5:03 pm

05/07/2017

Got a little more done today. Had to rig up a helping hand to do the tubing for the roof.

Got the top tube done which is 2" X 2" X 1/8" this gives me a one inch overhand to allow the ceiling to be well attached to the chassis. Squared up everything Clamped everything tacked it all up.

It is close to being too tight to fit in this garage. Pretty soon I am going to have to move this to the bigger garage so that I can mount it up on the axle and tires. This garage I have mere inches of space.

That's as far as I got for the day not to bad.
Brian
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby kokomoto » Sun May 07, 2017 6:45 pm

2manytoyz wrote:05/06/2017

Today's update made a little more progress. Welded the rest of the topside of the frame, welded up the rear overhang, started on the wall framing, and lit my self on fire :shock:

It's getting hot in here, dang arm is hot, hmm what's that smell OHHHHH #@*# I am on fire! Luckily all turned out fine besides a ruined shirt. This is why you don't weld in flannel

Similar thing happened to me while welding a stock car roll cage several moons ago. It was funny afterward, but there were a few seconds of panic while putting out my flaming blue jeans! I believe it was a stray spark from my buddy's cutting torch that started the whole thing. :lol: :lol:

Interesting build you have going here. I decided to farm out the trailer metal work to a local fabricator. I do miss laying down a good weld, but I lack the recent experience, space, and welding equipment to do it all. Nice to watch someone with the skills and equipment put it all together. :thumbsup:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Mon May 08, 2017 1:03 pm

If it makes u feel any better, I set my yard on fire once welding :oops:

I love the profile and will be watching this one closely. Keep the updates and pics coming. :thumbsup:
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby 2manytoyz » Wed May 10, 2017 7:09 am

05/09/2017

Not a lot of progress last night had a 12 hour work day and was a bit tired. I did manage to get thefront angles cut placed and tacked up so a little progress.

2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby 2manytoyz » Sat May 13, 2017 7:36 am

05/13/17

Well it is trailer moving day. I made the mistake of starting my build in the small garage where I only have a 7' door height. My original plan was to just build the bottom frame in there then bolt on the axle and move it. Well between the weather not letting me clean out the big garage and the axle being delayed Inkept staring at the stack of metal till I started building the walls. That has left me with about 2" of clearance to the top of the door. No way i can mount the axle and tires to roll it out. So today is the day to drag it out and into the big garage bay 12'x12' door or atleast that's the plan.

Brian
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby 2manytoyz » Sat May 13, 2017 11:57 am

05/13/2017 afternoon

Well I got it moved. Tried to convince the wife I needed to buy a forklift but she just wasn't having it. So I had to get creative. One 1000 lb dolly and an engine lift at a little bit of four letter words later and she is now resting in the proper garage.

Here is where it started not much room to spare

and now in the proper spot :applause:
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby swoody126 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:34 pm

allz you gotz2 do is convince the bridal unit you NEED a small tractor(mower on steroids) w/ a front end loader and get a set of forks that interchange w/ the bucket :twisted:

i luck'd out when my bride bought me the tractor and allz i had to do waz buy the fork attachment

make sure the tractor/loader will go high enuff to reach the ceiling lights in the shop :thumbsup:

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals