Rough Road Raindrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Rough Road Raindrop

Postby Louisd75 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:15 pm

More little things getting done. The past couple of days were spent cleaning, marking, masking and generally doing prep work for spraying bed liner onto the parts of the trailer that take the brunt of gravel coming off of the truck. I'd been wanting to do something like this for a while but wanted to get some more gravel road time in to see where it would help the most. I wound up doing most of the nose of the trailer and the fenders. Really, I probably could have gotten away with just doing the front of the fenders but I figured it was the same amount of work to mask half of the fender vs the whole thing.

I used U-Pol's Raptor Liner. There are a few different brands out there and they're likely all very similar if not the same. I went with Raptor because it was free from a friend who had it leftover from one of his projects. It came un-tinted, which gave me the option of picking whatever color I wanted. My buddy had tinted his to match his Sportsmobile's factory paint. I ran across TCP Global's website. They have their own version of spray on bed liner but they also carry Raptor. They also sell bottles of tint needed to shade the bed liner. They have a lot of colors to choose from off the shelf. I wound up going with Dove Gray:

https://tcpglobal.com/pages/custom-coat-bed-liner

I didn't take any "during" pictures as I was gloved up and didn't want to risk getting any on my phone. I'm pretty happy with how it came out though. I've got one spot that I accidentally put my hand on before it was dry, which is a huge bummer because once you smooth out the texture it doesn't come back. It happened while I was removing the masking tape. I can respray it, but I'll need to re-mask everything and I used up the last of my masking tape and paper on the job. I'll run it like this for now and probably add another coat down the road to cover it up.

It took two bottles @ a liter apiece for several coats of each fender and the nose. I probably have four coats on the fenders, three coats on the nose. I put the coats on light and worked slowly. It didn't dry completely between coats but it wasn't runny either.

Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:53 am

Looks great! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
Tom (& Linda)
For more on our Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Louisd75 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:12 pm

Well... bummer. :thumbdown:

I did the bed liner a few days ago. After curing for a couple of days I was looking it over and realized that the bed liner was lifting up on the inside corner, between the body and tongue box. It did it on both vertical sides of the tongue box. It looks very much to me like the bed liner shrank as it cured and pulled off the trailer as it shrank.

This picture was after I did one vertical cut down the corner to try and see if the bed liner lifted off of the primer or if the primer lifted off the body. The bed liner definitely lifted off the primer. It also split as I was trying to lift it up to see. Since it split, I figured that I'd give it a pull to see how much it would come up. I was pulling with a bit of force and couldn't get any new areas to lift up, so at least I know that the issue is localized.

I'm still in the process of fixing it. Currently waiting on materials for plan B. Plan A, though it had potential, did not work. For plan A, I pulled back the material and ran epoxy down the inside before smushing the bed liner into it. I tried rigging up a clamping caul but the seam was so far back from the edges that I couldn't get anything to work without drilling holes. So, the epoxy cured and the bed liner didn't stick down very well. On to plan B.

Plan B involves cutting out the lifted up sections. I'll mask around them as best I can, then spray several new coats of bed liner over the bare spots until I've reached the level of the original attempt. I'll mix small batches and do light coats until it's built up enough, then I'll remask the entire trailer and do two additional coats to try and blend it. It's going to be some work.

On the plus side, it will give me a chance to fix the hand smudge that I made when I reflexively put my hand on the tongue box before the bed liner had cured. My wife and neighbor (who was socially distancing at the time, so there's no way he got a good look) said that it's barely noticeable. I think they're just being nice because it's the first thing I see now. Well, maybe second after the big 'ol crack:

Oh well. On the plus side, the weather is getting better every day, so I should have more good chances to get this done before our next trip.
Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:31 pm

and realized that ...

Ouch.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Louisd75 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:20 pm

Well, after the discovery of the bedliner not quite working in a few spots it was time to figure out a fix. There were a few issues to work out first.

Up first, I removed the areas where it had lifted up. I just pulled it off and tore it from the bedliner that stuck. This wasn't that big of a deal. The stuck bedliner is on pretty good so it was pretty simple to tear the lifted stuff off. If I worked at it, I could also pull the well attached bedliner up but that would bring the primer with it. The stuff that didn't stick didn't pull the primer up at all. (hopefully that makes sense). I cleaned off the bad bedliner, prepped the surface again and planned on applying more bedliner in small batches to fill in where I removed the bed liner until it was close to the same thickness as the bedliner that remained on the trailer. Then, I would respray with an extra coat over all of it to try to blend it all together and make it match.

I had more of the Raptor Liner, but the system is set up in a way where you take the contents of bottles B and C, mix them into bottle A, shake like mad and then put it on. The problem is that it's basically like epoxy. Once you mix it, the clock is ticking. Throwing all the bottles together per the instructions would have made far more than I needed. It took a little bit of digging, but I found the mix ratios by weight. I prefer mixing by weight vs volume as volume changes with temperature. I used a ratio of 1 gram of part A to 0.287 grams of part B (hardener) to 0.064 grams of part C (color). I started by pouring approximately 50g of part A and then calculating what I needed for parts B and C based off of how much part A that I actually used. I used small yogurt cups and it was the perfect amount for mixing. I was able to get three coats on yesterday using foam brushes:

I figure I'll need another two or three coats to finish leveling things off, but it's raining today.

Something else that I was able to do while I had a partially cured cup and foam brushes was to add some texture to the spot that I had smoothed out when I touched it. I just tapped the brush over the area to give it a little texture. It's still noticeable, but not nearly as bad as before.

I also finally installed my stabilizer pads. I ran into a snag after ordering these a while back. I got them and realized that they weren't the right size for stabilizers that I'm using. I didn't have time to return them before leaving for work, so I set them aside and figured I'd make them work somehow. I had the welder out working on some other projects and realized that it would be easy to cut and reweld the mounting tabs. So, did that, added some paint and got some nice SS hardware to install the pads with. This should help keep the stabilizers from sinking into soft ground. The pads pivot, so they stay horizontal as the stabilizer moves up and down.

Hoping for some sunny weather so that I can finish up with the bed liner. In the meantime, I've just gotten about ten yards of waxed canvas. Time to fire up the sewing machine (:
Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Postby Louisd75 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:24 am

I had a weather window yesterday so I finished up (I hope) the bedliner repairs.

I did a total of five very light coats, sanded everything to about the same level, then sprayed one layer over it all to make sure that the color was even.

I don't think it's perfect, but I think if I'm passing by at freeway speeds that it looks great 8)

There is a slight difference in texture that shows up a little bit in certain lighting. I'm not sure if it would have been more or less work to strip all of the original layers of bedliner off and start over completely. Going this route was challenging mostly due to weather. I could have probably done it in two days if the weather had cooperated or if I had the trailer back in the garage.

Now it's time to put in new vinyl trim. I was debating at the time whether I should buy it by the foot or by the 100' roll. Glad I went with the roll now (:

Oh, and I should probably put the propane tank back on for the furnace.

It looks like there's a good chance that campgrounds are going to be opening up soon, shouldn't take long to get things ready at this point.
Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Postby Louisd75 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Whelp, she's all put back together after repairing the bedliner. I had tried to mask and reuse the vinyl trim insert but that didn't work out as planned. Fortunately I still had quite a bit leftover from building the trailer that I was able to install.

The only thing that I don't like about how the bedliner looks is that it feels like I'm missing something. I'm thinking about painting a 3/4" black band at the edge of the bedliner where it curves across the bow front. I'm not sure I'm quite that ambitious feeling yet. I'll probably revisit this idea in a few months after I've had some time to let this look sink in:

Or, if you prefer a rainy shot:

And of course, you can't take apart the propane system and put it back together without testing it. So I climbed in and fired up the furnace. Then, to make it more realistic, I grabbed a pillow and crawled into the covers for a nap. I was rudely awoken several hours later by my wife telling me that dinner was ready. It was her homemade mac and cheese though, so it all worked out :thumbsup:

I'm ready to go camping!
Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals