Rough Road Raindrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Rough Road Raindrop

Postby Louisd75 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:53 am

John61CT wrote:get some NO-OX-ID in there

Yeah, I'll probably give something like that a shot. I used dielectric grease when I set the plugs up but apparently it wasn't that great of quality. Oh well.
Louisd75
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:49 am

That's the best, tested longest effectiveness submerged in saltwater
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:53 pm

One thing that bugs me visually ... the cable to enter the cabin... The Cableclams stick up less than 3/4". There may be a lower profile solution out there, but I think this is a great option.

Your install looks great. (As usual.) And what I'm really glad to hear is your thoughts on this option. I was wondering how the seal worked. (I got mine.)

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Louisd75 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:58 pm

So I'm about 2,714 miles away from the trailer, give or take, and figured it was high-time to come up with a bumper. I really like how the back end of the trailer curves back under, though it's a bit exposed since it overhangs the frame by a foot. I have no illusions about how things will turn out if I get rear ended by a car, but I figured a bumper could be handy as an extra bit of insurance when backing into a tight spot.

I welded on 2"x 2" extensions to the frame when I was building it. I even pre-drilled and welded in sleeves for a future bumper, along with adding mounting points on the ends of the aftmost cross-piece of the frame. So, after a couple of really bad days at work, I took a few hours to bounce some ideas around and here's what I've come up with. The orange parts represent the existing frame. The green parts are the mounting plates for the bumper. The red part represents a piece of 1.75" DOM steel tubing that I think is still lying on the floor in the garage under the trailer. Or it might be in the steel rack above my wife's car. Or, I might not have it at all and I'll need to pick up a stick from my local shop.

My plan is to have the two outboard and four inboard pieces waterjet or laser CNC'd. I'll drill the mounting holes on the inboard pieces to make sure that they all lineup right, then I'll get everything bolted up and then weld the tube on. Should be easy-peasy. I'm going to probably add a couple of cross braces on the inboard pieces to stiffen it up for a side/quartering bump, but these will likely be flatstock out of my scrap bin and I don't show them. I've still got at least a month before I can actually get my hands on the trailer, but it's a good escape from work.

Louisd75
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:46 am

My plan...

Quite the plan. Nice CAD work. What program are you using?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Louisd75 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:11 am

tony.latham wrote:
My plan...

Quite the plan. Nice CAD work. What program are you using?

T

I've been playing around with Autodesk Inventor. I was trying a sample version of Autodesk Fusion, but you need to have internet in order to run it. For some reason when I got the student version of Fusion it let me download the professional version of Inventor along with AutoCad 2020. I've tried playing around with SketchUp but for some reason I've never been able to get the hang of it. It seems intuitive to everyone who uses it except for me. I was trained on PTC Wildfire/ProE in college. It's now called Creo if I remember right. There is enough commonality between ProE and Inventor that I've been able to figure out everything without too much trouble. I'm going to start playing around with the FEA part of things and see where the bumper fails when I simulate backing it into a picnic table :)
Louisd75
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals