Foamie Weekender in Hardin, MT

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Foamie Weekender in Hardin, MT

Postby NebraskaTeachr » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:45 am

:D I was finally able to finish replacing the head gasket on my trusty Cavalier, so now I have time and space to work on rebuilding my Hunter Green Teardrop. Below is a pic of the car, my first attempt at glueing anything together with Gorilla Glue, and my quality control inspector, Silky. Silky is a 6 month old black lab, and so far she mostly just makes sure things don't stay where I put them

Back in 2009 I built this teardrop based on the Super Leggra Profile, but time, an error installing the hurricane hatch and not keeping it well painted have taken their toll on the poor thing.

After all the discussion on the Generic Foamie thread about hatch design, I have decided to use the KISS approach. Since I will be using it in bear country almost exclusively I have decided that the galley area is going to be storage only. I have a wonderful aluminum fold up table for when I am boon docking it. I am also thinking that I will be going with 12 volt only and using solar.

I am not supposed to tow anything with the Cavalier, but since I just rebuilt the head, and it has 198,000 miles on it I am going to have a hitch installed. The Hunter Green was only 600 pounds loaded, so I am sure it will be no problem to pull a foamie. Just so I get to the 200,000 mile mark. Now I just need to decide how I am going to put a rack for my kayak into the design.
NebraskaTeachr
Donating Member

Re: Foamie Weekender in Hardin, MT

Postby NebraskaTeachr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Well, I had a big setback on my progress. My quality control inspector managed to get the lid off a coffee can with some old antifreeze in it. I got her to the vet within ten minutes, but she had to stay overnight and till the end of business the next day. I'm thinking pet insurance might be worth it at this point. The treatment involved quite a bit of ethanol, so when I went to pick her up she staggered to the car, and fell off the front seat when she flopped down. We have a follow up on Tuesday, but I think everything is going to be okay.
NebraskaTeachr
Donating Member

Postby Don L. » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:38 pm

:(
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby NebraskaTeachr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:51 pm

I started back up again. Actually, I cut the side profiles last summer but never did anything with them. I started messing with it last weekend, and here is what I have so far. Image
As you can see my QC inspector survived. Who knew they used Everclear to treat dogs for antifreeze poisoning.
NebraskaTeachr
Donating Member

Return to Build Journals