My Vistabule-a-like build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: My Vistabule-a-like build

Postby ZachR » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:06 am

While my forth coat of lacquer was drying I decided to work on the galley. I mounted the water pump:

I cut and installed the butcher block counter:

And installed the sink and stove:

Still have a bunch of wiring and plumbing to do...
ZachR
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ZachR » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:27 pm

I did some plumbing and electrical:

I cut out ribs for the back hatch as well as one of the storage units that sits above the counter

With the complexity of the trim and seals, I wanted to mock it up instead of just relying on CAD:

I also got one side of the aluminum cut out:

I found that putting the aluminum on a piece of 2" think Styrofoam makes it much easier to carry around:

In the lessons learned category, I need to add that small diameter (1/4" and below) router bits tend to promote chip welding way more that the 1/2" standard flush trim bit. I tried to be a little frugal and used a 1/4" router bit in order to minimize curf in the hopes of using the cutout to clad the actual doors. Turned out I should have just bought and extra 4x8 sheet of aluminum for the doors. It would have been way easier. Instead, every 6" the router bit would gum up with aluminum and stop cutting. Even tried WD-40, but it still jammed up. So many life lessons...
ZachR
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ELM » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:51 am

Looking very nice. I've Sean other people use a speed controller on the router to slow the motor speed down and that helped to keep the bit from clogging up with aluminum.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby ZachR » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:36 am

It's been a little while since I posted and have done quite a bit...

Got my sink and water tanks plumbed. Having running water is SO COOL!

Did some work on the interior lights:

Got the rear hatch window cut and installed

Cut out one of my doors and it's matching window:

Spent some time fitting the doors and finding out that my hinge placement was off by about 1/2" (the t molding interfered with wall). Good thing I didn't drill all the way through the wall when I did my test fit. This means I can move the holes and nobody will know (well except me and I guess you'll know too since you're reading this):

I also worked on the T molding a bit... I did the annealing trick with the candle soot and it worked great:

After looking at how my rear window turned out, I decided to add some black paint around the window seats just so you didn't see the raw plywood edge through the clear polycarb.

I also got the first sheet of aluminum on the rear hatch and even started bending up the trim. Seeing the trim wrap around the curves is so satisfying:

And finally, I cut out the window seam covers out of black ABS. They will cover the joint between the polycarb and the aluminum. They are a little thicker than I initially wanted, but I wanted to be sure to have plenty of space to add caulking.
ZachR
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:26 am

Very cool! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ZachR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! It helps motivate me to keep posting.

It's been a busy few days. Lot's of progress (not a lot of sleep).

Installed one of my porthole windows:

Installed the shade to cover the large window. I think I need wider guide rails on the side as it's pretty easy to angle the shade and have it fall out:

Added the gas struts to the back hatch. It is SO enjoyable to open and close the hatch. It's so smooth and takes just minimal force:
This calculator worked great to figure out the spring force required and the placement of the end points.

Installed the roof fan:

Wired the brake lights:

Did tons of little things like finish the aluminum trim, installed the rear hatch latches, finished wiring the wall switches, added a licence plate holder, and even tested the marker/brake lighting:

I've got the doors off for skinning both the inside and out. Hopefully taking it to the DMV soon!
Last edited by ZachR on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZachR
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dirtclod » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:14 am

Man you do quick work !! Looks GREAT, Well done sir :thumbsup:
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:23 am

Looks awesome. You will be camping in no time. :thumbsup:
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:10 pm

Dirtclod wrote:Man you do quick work !! Looks GREAT, Well done sir :thumbsup:

Couldn't have said it any better! :applause:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ZachR » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:20 pm

We are registered!!! I've got a license plate and everything!

For a fun 360 view:
http://spincam.net/s/iejo

There are still a number of items left to do...
Wire power center
Install fridge
Install handle on right side door
Caulk the window frames
Build a LP tank holder
Install the bed
Add the flip out tables
Seal up any holes, etc.
Loctite everything (I already lost the handle to my tongue wheel on my trip to the DMV)
Drawers
Go camping!
ZachR
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:20 pm

Great build you have going.

What is the "annealing trick with the candle soot"? I don't think I have seen that anywhere?

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:45 pm

:o Looking really good!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:05 pm

Very nice build. :thumbsup:

I realize it is too late to help you, but maybe it will help someone else re: cutting out and getting to use your door skins. I wonder if using a jig saw to make the thin rough cut, and then trimming to a template (or collar... or bearing guide) with the router would have yielded better results.

Regardless, your build looks great. :applause:
Last edited by KCStudly on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ZachR » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:02 pm

You are correct KC! I did my second door using a jigsaw for rough cutting then a trim bit for the final shape.

Did my first week long camping trip in the trailer and not just any camping trip, I took it to Burning Man. The trailer worked great!

On a friend's recommendation, I made up a set of "heat shields", e.g. foil bubble wrap Super-77'ed to the cutouts from my windows. They only took a couple minutes to make, but it really helped keep the heat out (and were bonus blackout shades to help sleep off a late night on the Playa).

Still on the to-do list:
  • The bed to couch transition is still a little rough. Need to work on the latch that keeps the seat riser in place.
  • The rear hatch latches need adjustment, they can pop open with a major bump (guess how I know). I'm considering a secondary over-center type latch as a backup.
  • Definitely need more storage for cups, plates and pans. Drawers are a must!!
  • It didn't rain, but after washing the dust off the trailer I found a couple small leaks around the doors.
  • I could maybe use a second battery. With 200watts of solar, I can charge the single battery pretty quick, but it gets a bit low (12.3volts) by morning. The fridge sucks a bit more current than I had hoped so a second battery would be nice.
  • Build a fold out mount for the solar panels. This would be not only for convenience, but would also allow the battery to charge while driving. Something I hadn't thought of, but it sucks to show up to camp after driving all day with a half dead battery and barely any sun to charge it.
  • Extra food prep area would be great. Thinking fold out tables or maybe the tables that mount to the side of the trailer.
  • A spare tire... didn't need it, but could imagine what a pain it would be if I did.
  • Notch my frame (just a little) to allow for more axle travel. Right now, I think it's bottoming (topping) out on big bumps.
Last edited by ZachR on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZachR
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ZachR » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Hey KTMguy - The candle trick is something I read about on this forum (sorry, I don't have an exact link). The idea is that the black soot from a regular paraffin candle will burn off at somewhere around 750deg, which is pretty close to the temperature needed to anneal most flavors of aluminum. It seemed to work well for me and my t-molding. I first relieved the t-molding (with a jig saw and angle grinder) where I was going to make the bends. Then held a candle under each area (tipping it a little to make more smoke) until there was a visible layer of soot. Then I just hit it with a torch. It took about 4min of torching, moving it continuously and then the soot just vanished. After letting it cool down for about a half hour (the stuff stays hot for a while), I pressed it around my door and it formed the corners pretty easily.
ZachR
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals