Lightweight trailer for a lightweight wallet (AKA: The Pika)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Lightweight trailer for a lightweight wallet

Postby greygoos » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 am

Very nice and informative build. You showed a lot of creativity and once again a build that could teach us all something. Happy Camping
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby mjcook » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Update:
Here's some pics of what the spray foam did to my PMF... :thumbdown:
mjcook
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:54 am

I wonder if the foam kept expanding longer than expected. Stuff seems to keep going for a day or so.

Another possibility is temperature change. I have seen that on my build. Sand some foam flush one day, come back the next with 30 deg F temperature increase and it is proud again; wait until it's cool again and it goes back to flush.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mjcook » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:36 pm

I'm back, and ready to wrap up this build journal.
As I said before, the spring clearance was a little lacking for my taste at less than 1", so I cut off the extra threads from the U-bolts which gained me an extra 9/16" or so. I also added some UHMW under the slipper springs to make them ride better/quieter. (I made a thread concerning this here:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69317) I also noticed that my fenders were rubbing the underside of my camper box so I added some rubber blocks to keep that from happening any more.

When that was done, I finally turned my attention to finishing the interior. The cheap veneer and glue of the Home Depot plywood is a concern, so I decided that a few coats of wipe on poly would be a cheap way to try and seal up the outer layer of wood. Interestingly, most commercially available wipe-on polys are just the normal stuff thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits, but they cost twice as much per sq/ft. For half the cost, I was able to buy a quart of standard poly and a quart of mineral spirits and mix them myself. I got 4 coats out of this; hopefully enough to provide at least a little protection.

After the poly dried, I found some 3/4" by 1/4" vinyl trim that I ripped down to 3/8" by 1/4" pieces to use in the trailer. (Those pieces were tiny!) I didn't want to go any bigger because I liked the small 1/4" bead plastic trim that you commonly see in travel trailers. Also, curtains for the windows seemed necessary, but I don't like the way cheap white curtain rods stick out from the wall so far. So I shortened them.

After that, I installed my shelves, a few dimmable LED lights, and voilà!

And there you have it, folks. I tallied the receipts up, and final cost for this little trailer came out to less than $700! (After factoring in money back from selling unnecessary project pieces) I haven't taken it across the scales empty yet, but with a few hundred lbs crap in the trailer it weighs in at less than 1,000 lbs. I'm guessing the trailer weighs less than 700 lbs empty.

A trailer that weighs less than 700 lbs, and costs less than $700: My lightweight trailer for a lightweight wallet has ben a success! Now for the real test: Time. How will it hold up in the long run? I've already put 2500 miles on it with no noticeable wear, (except for the tires; a product of over-inflation I hope) but a few years down the road we'll see how my compromises in building materials affects longevity.

On a lighter note, I haven't finished with the exterior; I still want to add some red pin striping, and probably a name decal. (All travel trailers have silly names nowadays, why can't our home-builts be the same?) I shall dub this tiny trailer:
(drumroll please...)

The Pika

The pika (pronounced pee-ka or pie-ka) is a small rodent that likes rock fields at high altitudes. It looks like a small rabbit with mouse ears; cute but very simple with no remarkable features. Since this trailer is very small and simple, and will be found often in campgrounds at high elevations, 'The Pika' seemed to be a perfect choice in name.

Once the exterior is finished, I will add The Pika to the hall of fame. This has been a fun adventure, and I wholeheartedly appreciate all the comments, advice, and encouragement that I've received on this forum; Thanks very much!
Who knows? Maybe I'll do this again someday! ;)
mjcook
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Lightweight trailer for a lightweight wallet (AKA: The P

Postby Shoebone » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Well done, and that was a quick build ready for use. You are an inspiration to myself, I've waited long enough for the Phoenix weather to cool down, now its time to build and if it turns out almost as good as yours, I'll be happy.
Shoebone
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ssuuki19 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:30 am

Great, informative, cost effective build! Likewise, how fast you assembled is really impressive and will be inspirational to others (myself included since I'm at the very tail end of year two with another season needed to finish). Lots of interesting points for me to research, just wanted to say that I really like your simple interior, and will probably look at doing something similar to get my box a bit more useful for a sleeper.

How does sealant get on my triceps and then my car seat?? more than once??
Aluminum is almost as fascinating as wood.
Link to my build thread: 4 1/2 x 9
ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Postby ssuuki19 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:33 am

Shoebone wrote:I've waited long enough for the Phoenix weather to cool down, now its time to build and if it turns out almost as good as yours, I'll be happy.

Ha ha Shoebone, its getting too cold and wet here to work outside now, statistically just too much rain and the humidity never drops... wish I had a shop in AZ to continue through the fall/winter!

How does sealant get on my triceps and then my car seat?? more than once??
Aluminum is almost as fascinating as wood.
Link to my build thread: 4 1/2 x 9
ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals