Light weight v nose 5 x 8 x 4.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Light weight v nose 5 x 8 x 4.

Postby pg350 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:38 pm

Starting a light weight camper for a 7000 mile road trip next year. Pulled by a Pontiac G6 2.4l. Starting with a Northern Tool 5x8 aluminum trailer I found on Craigslist never used for 450.00. Only weight 186 lbs. Total planned weight under 700 lbs.
Here is one similat to what I am planning.

http://mediaprocessor.websimages.com/wi ... sun6-1.JPG
pg350
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Light weight v nose 5 x 8 x 4.

Postby pg350 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:50 pm

So far I completed a spring over to lower and level the trailer as much as possible. I have the base put together and currently am waiting for the epoxy to cure so I can put some paint over it. Next I will bolt the base to the trailer then start the walls. Going to keep it simple. I will have a AC unit and am debating on roof fan.

Question?

How long will a fantastic fan run using a standard deep cycle battery?
Also what is simplest way to charge battery when driving from TV.

Would a light weight motorcycle battery run a fantastic fan over night?

I am really trying to cut down on weight?

Lots of questions, thank you fro any feedback.
pg350
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Switch to computer fans. Quieter and less power consumption. Plus youd be shocked at how much air 2 140mm fans will move.

Dont go motorcycle battery buy a small car battery is plenty fpr the basics. A small battery (for a chevy cavalier) ran our lights, pump, fans all weekend no problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby pg350 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 pm

ThankYou

Any other input on batteries being used and recharging them?
pg350
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrowe » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:57 pm

But if you do not use a Fantastic fan type system and use computer fans instead, how do you vent them and cover them in rain and so forth, especially while in use. I used my Fantastic fan a lot last week and yes I could hear the fan run at the lowest setting. But it worked very well, many times cooling off my trailer to the point I had to get up in the middle of the night and shut it off. Then got up again and turned it back on because it became too stuffy in the trailer.
I am going to add a module in line so as to run it slower.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby pg350 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:06 pm

I think he meant to put in a roof vent without a built in fan then just add the computer fans yourself.

Any idea how long a fantastic fan can run on a single battery charge from standard car battery. (say from a small car)
pg350
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Thats what i did mean, regular vent and install CPU fans. I bought a vent that had a cheap fan in it off ebay (cost the same as a basic vent), pulled the cheap fan set up out and replaced it with the dual computer fans. They are dead silent, my dual 140mm fans move more than enough air for these smaller trailers.

I could actually feel the air moving accross my hands and face while lying down. Fantastic fans to me are overkill for these little 4 and 5x8 sleeper sized stuff. Not to mention power hogs compared to brushless computer fans.

I got the idea from here as a lot of guys do it for the same reason. Move a lot of air for very low power requirements.

As for run time, it varies by battery. All batteries are not the same. Far from it actually. But use the wattage rating from the fan and compare that to the watt hrs of the battery your going to use.

If your going with small battery and staying light weight, just ditch the fantastic fan idea. Saves you $100 and power requirements.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby pg350 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Thank you for your input. I hurt my back yesterday so need some time to heal. Will give me time to think.
pg350
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals