Montana Mod-u-Foamer - The Corto Series

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Montana Mod-u-Foamer - The Corto Series

Postby dancam » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:03 pm

jim_manley wrote:Hi "ssuuki19" - thanks for your positive comment about my Corto design. However, there are a few other things about your post that really bug me. First, could you use at least your first name? It's easy to hide behind an obscure handle and toss hand grenades while wearing a virtual mask in the anarchist style that's become all the rage lately (literally, in many cases, unfortunately).

If you want to borrow my ideas, at least have the decency to ask permission ... otherwise, prepare to face my own personal collection of protection countermeasures.

Sounds like you need to pursue some more edumacation and experience so that you'll understand what it takes to build a slideout that actually slides in and out easily, and yet is waterproof.
Jim

The purpose of this site is to share information. Thats why the rest of us are here.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:25 am

Just an fyi for anyone worried about this patent stuff when building their trailer- a patent protects the patent holder from someone profiting off whatever they have patented. If you copy something patented for your personal use and never sell it thats fine. Perhaps if you go to sell yours after years of use you could argue that your selling it at a great loss rather than a profit and still be fine but im not sure.

Second for anyone thinking of getting a patent on something keep in mind that your patent is only as good as your ability to defend it. Theres been a few people come through where i work that spent nearly everything their company had on getting patents and wouldn't have enough to defend them if someone copied it in the first couple years before they make their millions. It takes money to defend your patent and you have to keep an eye out for people copying your idea or hire someone to.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby jim_manley » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:31 am

dancam wrote:The purpose of this site is to share information. Thats why the rest of us are here.

Hi Dan (? See what I mean?),

The [im]poster was clearly attacking all commercial proprietary intellectual property, and not limiting his vituperations to just Safari Garden's quite properly acquired IP. Where's the lecturing and medical prescription for that transgression, which has nothing to do with the purpose of this forum?

You can't legally violate a patent even for your own personal use - if a patent-holder fails to defend their IP from any infringement, they risk losing the ability to control use of it. They don't really expect to win a huge settlement if they sue an individual, although they can technically attach a financial claim on everything in your name if they win in court. They may be willing to grant an affordable license to individuals, but you have to ask.

Your point about legal defense of patents is spot-on, though. In fact, getting a patent assigned is only about 10% of the total effort in the lifecycle of a patent (from initial filing to expiration), and the perceived ease of obtaining a patent rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Most folks don't realize that it takes an average of four years for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to award a patent after dozens of back-and-forth interactions (that time with the patent examiner is what the application fees cover).

Usually, within a week of being assigned a patent, at least one entity (usually a self-perceived competitor) will file a suit claiming the patent, or some of its claims, is invalid. Lawyers who do this without representing a potential competitor are patent trolls, as they usually file nuisance suits, looking for pay-off settlements to go away and shake down someone else.

I was referring to misappropriation of my own commercial IP (which doesn't apply to the T'nTTT domain, it's for a completely different industry), not what I've plainly shared very publicly here in the forum with no claims or restrictions. That's mainly because my scribblings lack the details necessary to build a viable rolling domicile suitable for towing by sane people.

Besides, the vast majority of people here are ardent adherents of the overbuild philosophy using former tree innards. I seriously doubt anyone will be foolish enough to try to replicate what I'm doing if they don't fully understand composite materials and monocoque construction techniques (the ol' Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt - FUD - problem).

Your offered medication is therefore completely unnecessary and you can feel free to swallow your own medicine, with my compliments and best wishes! ;)
"Education isn't the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- Plutarch ... or W.B. Yeats ... or ...

"In theory, theory and practice are the same ... in practice, they aren't!" -- Some Engineer

"Just when you think you have all the answers ... they change all the questions!" -- Murphy of Murphy, Dewey, Screwem, and Howe, LLP

What I'd love to build: ... What I'll probably wind up with:
.....Image................ Image
jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby razorback » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:46 am

When I first clicked on this thread I was thinking this is a new and different build and my time would be well spent learning a new process.
However, the thread has simply gone in a direction I can only name as the: "Jim VS Canada"build, or "My words are better than your words",build.
Seems you two are more interested reading how educated you both claim to be. Please quit the lip BS and get back to the build!
By the way, my name is LARRY and I like BACON.
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jim_manley » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:02 pm

razorback wrote:By the way, my name is LARRY and I like BACON.

[Those without a sense of humor, please cease and desist from reading my build journal and other posts and just keep moving along ... there's nothing to see here]

Dear LARRY,

Many people in your hometown of NORTH LITTLE ROCK have corresponded to voice their love for BACON and the RAZORBACKS from whence it comes. For the life of me, I can't understand how you can proclaim allegiance to great football players and then turn their namesakes into delicious slabs of protein and lipids, but then again, there's a lot about that part of the country that I can't explain to others when I'm in other regions and overseas!

The only way that my build journal could possibly be considered "Jim VS Canada" is if someone from The Great White North tried to proclaim that ham hocks are a form of BACON - Oh, The Humanity!

The Esteemed Gentleman Mark has kindly offered to move the discussion about patents to an Off-Topic thread, for which I have gratefully thanked him for his consideration of the focus of my build journal. See? There really are reasonable people left in the world ... I suspect we're part of that good ol' Silent Majority that sits back for a long, long time until the temptation to use the flyswatter just becomes overwhelming.

We now return you to your full and uninterrupted enjoyment of said BACON and RAZORBACKS. More wild and crazy modular foamie teardrop ideas will be forthcoming as soon as I solve a panel edge reinforcement design issue. It's been bugging me mercilessly while I've had to waste much time recently actually doing work so I can afford to buy the materials needed to complete my cherished Corto. Work is the curse of the teardropping man and woman!

All the Best,
Jim
"Education isn't the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- Plutarch ... or W.B. Yeats ... or ...

"In theory, theory and practice are the same ... in practice, they aren't!" -- Some Engineer

"Just when you think you have all the answers ... they change all the questions!" -- Murphy of Murphy, Dewey, Screwem, and Howe, LLP

What I'd love to build: ... What I'll probably wind up with:
.....Image................ Image
jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JamesDixonLR » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:28 pm

How is the Polywall working out? If I understood you correctly you planned to use it outside and maybe inside too to eliminate the chance of rot. Is the Polywall, glued to the XPS, strong enough? Here in Little Rock, we don't appear to have the Dow blue panel at all or at least I haven't found it. Its Foamular or Stryrofoam, 1 inch or 2. thanks.
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Postby JagLite » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:35 pm

Hmmm....
Another disappointing thread that started out with promise, then just died. :cry:
I was going to ask for a progress report but I see the OP hasn't logged in for more than a year.
Probably another great idea that never got off the ground.
ATTITUDE ~
The difference between
Ordeal and Adventure
JagLite
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rjgimp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:28 pm

JagLite wrote:Hmmm....
Another disappointing thread that started out with promise, then just died. :cry:
I was going to ask for a progress report but I see the OP hasn't logged in for more than a year.
Probably another great idea that never got off the ground.

Perhaps OP located a different forum full of unedumacated troglodytes upon whom he could vomit the internal contents of a multitude of dictionaries. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I wish I'd quit reading at the first half of the first post. What a train wreck.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals