Raven's Nest update 12/28/2021

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 3/20/18

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Clam, we've never had that problem with our camp stove, it does have wind shields on the sides and the back. Which also helps with the splattering of grease when doing bacon.. could drape an extra towel over the counter.. will have to see how this works out on this one.. I'd rather cook it over an open fire, ;)

The Ravens Nest has finally seen a day of sun... :D Weather was great, time to get her out and clean the shop,

153573 153574

First time back on the axle since we started her in this shop.. Needed to turn her around so I can work on the front bulkhead, :thinking:

153575 153576

Sitting behind the TV, within one inch being the same height, will change a little with finishing, adding more weight..

153577 Want to go camping,, David
Last edited by Staryder61 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:57 pm

Staryder61 wrote:Clam, we've never had that problem with our camp stove, it does have wind shields on the sides and the back. Which also helps with the splattering of grease when doing bacon.. could drape an extra towel over the counter.. will have to see how this works out on this one.. I'd rather cook it over an open fire, ;)

The Ravens Next has finally seen a day of sun... :D Weather was great, time to get her out and clean the shop,

153573 153574

First time back on the axle since we started her in this shop.. Needed to turn her around so I can work on the front bulkhead, :thinking:

153575 153576

Sitting behind the TV, within one inch being the same height, will change a little with finishing, adding more weight..

153577 Want to go camping,, David
That huge window is gorgeous! It's coming along great David! Keep up the pace and it'll be done by summer!

Very true on the stove aspect. It's also nice not to have to bring that extra table(s).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 am

Thanks clam, Hope you are feeling better...
We believe the window will be great.. with it positioned centered on the table inside.. :)
The downfall of having a window this size is only having one door.. :roll:
As several people have posted on this forum, two doors are better. :thinking: Specially when it comes to putting sheets on the bed and getting in and out. Not having to crawl over someone to get in bed.. ;)

We discussed it a few times and decided it really shouldn't be a big problem.. Will let everyone know later after we've used it a few times..
"clam wrote, Keep up the pace and it'll be done by summer!"
Yes, on being done by summer. (Are they ever really done?) Hopefully campable before then.. :worship: need to step up the pace on it.. Beavers Bend is next month... David

"I still haven't found good information on clearance lights for trailers over 80" wide here in Texas.. Raven will be 84" to 85" wide with the fenders. Has anyone found the answer to this problem?? Thanks in advance if you have.."
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:13 pm

Staryder61 wrote:
"I still haven't found good information on clearance lights for trailers over 80" wide here in Texas.. Raven will be 84" to 85" wide with the fenders. Has anyone found the answer to this problem?? Thanks in advance if you have.."

Here is some help. I believe clearance lights are federally regulated because a vehicle can end up on any road, anywhere in the USA....:

https://one.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/standa ... rpstr.html

If you want to double check, you can call or visit your local DMV and they should be able to confirm or tell you if anything else is needed.

Best Wishes!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:25 pm

By the way, depending upon how big that coffee cubby is; and, if that particular shelf is removable, you may have a second exit of sorts. If the cubby is big enough to crawl through, check and see if you can open the hatch from the inside. If this is a possibility, it would be awkward at best; however, I doubt you would ever need to use it unless your door latch/lock broke with you inside. If you really had an emergency and couldn't get out the door, you could always smash out the window (Heaven forbid!) ( Sorry...That's just the way my mind works. :roll: :lol: )

Really, the only problem that I see with having just one door is when someone on the far side has to get up in the middle of the night and has to crawl over the other person. The person who most frequently does this should sleep closest to the door. Problem solved! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:50 am

S. Heisley wrote:
Staryder61 wrote:

Here is some help. I believe clearance lights are federally regulated because a vehicle can end up on any road, anywhere in the USA....:

If you want to double check, you can call or visit your local DMV and they should be able to confirm or tell you if anything else is needed.

Best Wishes!

Thanks for watching Sharon, and for the information... that was a big help.. :)
Our DMV was no help.. talked to 3 different people, got three different answers.. :NC :roll:
Cubby wouldn't be big enough to get through... :thinking:
Will check that large window,, again,, was out of a wrecked motor home. One window was an emergency push out window.. not sure if it was the big one or not.. Have a great day,, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 3/23/18

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:22 am

Well another tool, bites the dust... :(

Working on the Ravens bulkhead.. :)

All holes templated and routed out, lost an old friend on this part.. Porter Cable router finally bit the dust.. guess 18 years was just to much for it.. Bought a new one at the Big Blue box store just like it.. so all my extra bases from old one work with the new....

153621 153622

Kreg jigged all parts together with plenty of glue and extra glue blocks..

These things are like doing a jigsaw puzzle :roll:

153619 153618 153617

The 1/2" baltic birch is so easy to work with.. cuts, routs, sands great, and is very light weight...

The very center cabinet hole will be for phones, billfold, keys and remain open.. will have AC and DC in this area...

Doors will cover the lower openings and the larger openings, and shelves will be added tomorrow before sealing it all..

Hopefully weather tomorrow will be nice enough to move this outside and get it all sealed... :roll: ;)

Thanks for following, have fun with your build, I Do,, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 3/23/18

Postby swoody126 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:04 am

Staryder61 wrote:Well another tool, bites the dust... :(

David

just hate it when an OLD FRIEND decides to go away :(

AND YES they are like jigsaw puzzles butt you get to make the pieces so you already know where they fit :applause:

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby clamlamp » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:50 am

Staryder61 wrote:Well another tool, bites the dust... :(

Working on the Ravens bulkhead.. :)

All holes templated and routed out, lost an old friend on this part.. Porter Cable router finally bit the dust.. guess 18 years was just to much for it.. Bought a new one at the Big Blue box store just like it.. so all my extra bases from old one work with the new....

153621 153622

Kreg jigged all parts together with plenty of glue and extra glue blocks..

153619 153618 153617

The 1/2" baltic birch is so easy to work with.. cuts, routs, sands great, and is very light weight...

The very center cabinet hole will be for phones, billfold, keys and remain open.. will have AC and DC in this area...

Doors will cover the lower openings and the larger openings, and shelves will be added tomorrow before sealing it all..

Hopefully weather tomorrow will be nice enough to move this outside and get it all sealed... :roll: ;)

Thanks for following, have fun with your build, I Do,, David
That's going to be a beautiful cabinet! You are jamming! Are you planning to do the same style doors?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:46 pm

Thanks for keeping up with me sw, clam..

sw --> Yes, :) for sure on me making the parts... I'm having fun doing it.. reminds me of the balsa wood planes I made with my Dad when I was a kid.. Great memories with him... :D

Took little time last night and this morning, to help my son.. He's building a wooden console for his pick-up, for his CB radio and cup holder and needed dear old Dad to help out...

All the money he has spent for this....

Wood for console $20.00
CB radio $30.00
Pick-up $2400.00
Time with my Son Priceless

Most all my tools are getting old like me ;) ,, so time to wear out.. :roll: so replace them as I go..

clam --> Not sure on the doors for this cabinet yet, interior will be pretty much cedar, so will work that into the doors..THOUGH, they will come later.. spending time right now to get things necessary done. Get it campable... :D then work on interior more at a later date, when not pressed so much for time..

Thanks for following,, posting and reading reply's keeps me motivated,, David 8)
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 3/24/18

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Bulkhead completed ready to finish,, :) wanted to make sure it would fit :frightened: before continuing with the finish and installing permanently.
Built it in my small shop and had to take it to the Raven to fit it...

So with some help,, moved it to other shop,, worked it into place.. :phew: would have been :oops: if it hadn't fit... ;)

153636 153635 153634

Now to get it back out.. :roll: get it finished.... re-install and skinned.... one step closer...

Build on,,,,, David

Edit:
Removed the bulkhead, PITA, :shock: finished it with Danish oil Sunday.. :)

will top coat with urethane semi-gloss and re-install.
Then get it skinned and add the struts.. wiring comes next..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:00 am

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Very nice David! Great to see your TD get a little sunshine.

BTW, we have two doors on our TD, but with the side tent attached to one door, and with the porta-potty in the side tent, we really only use one door. When camping, our practice is when one person makes a midnight run so does the other. It works out pretty good.

On the marker/clearance lighting issue, I'm not saying to break the law, but our teardrop is 81" outside of fender to outside of fender, and I've never been stopped. With the much narrower teardrop width and low height profile, it may not be legal but from a practical standpoint it can be seen quite well at night.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby coyote » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:25 am

Looking great! We have 2 doors: I get up in the middle of the night. When she gets up I get up and stand guard make sure the bears (or whatever) doesn't get her! SO, actually, one door would be fine, for us. The clearance lights? :? This is Oklahoma, (born Okie, I can make fun) but I went to the highway patrol main station asked.....2 officers discussed it for a while, got on the radio and called an "old hand" and they talked....the decision... :roll: Put them as high as you can in the front and as high as you can in the rear! OK, folks, I'm a bit slow, but "as high as you can" on a teardrop shape. Wouldn't that be side by side at the top of the radius? I just gave up, put them up a ways on the front and near the bottom for the back. BTW, I have "blue dots", they said the legality on those changes county to county/city to city. They are legal in Tulsa, but guess how much I camp in Tulsa? Anyway, lots of speed traps, speed trap "towns", no problems so far. Good Luck Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby working on it » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:54 pm

aggie79 wrote::thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Very nice David! Great to see your TD get a little sunshine.

BTW, we have two doors on our TD, but with the side tent attached to one door, and with the porta-potty in the side tent, we really only use one door. When camping, our practice is when one person makes a midnight run so does the other. It works out pretty good.

On the marker/clearance lighting issue, I'm not saying to break the law, but our teardrop is 81" outside of fender to outside of fender, and I've never been stopped. With the much narrower teardrop width and low height profile, it may not be legal but from a practical standpoint it can be seen quite well at night.

Take care,
Tom
  • My TTT is set up similar to Tom's, even though I camp alone. A side-tent with a Luggable Loo in it (and room to change clothes in...hard to do in my 4x8), and with exterior lighting for nighttime visits (blue rope lights strung under and around the trailer and tent...supplementing other under-door lights...don't want to step on a reptile, if at all possible).
  • As for the clearance lights, Texas does require them on trailers over 80" wide, though open trailers (like my race-car trailer, 18' dovetail) usually can get by without, though required. But, if the body/cabin of your trailer is 80" or more, then it is a must have. I copied this from https://legalbeagle.com/7198450-texas-dots-trailer-light-requirements.html
  • Texas trailer lighting requirements 2.JPG
    Texas trailer lighting requirements 2.JPG (68.91 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
  • My squareback TTT is only 72" wide, fender to fender, with a 48" cabin width, so I never had to install any such lights. However, after nearly getting rear-ended at night, I installed a high-mounted set of LED taillight strips, that serve as extra, very visible, sequential turn signals and flashers, running lights, and brake lights. edited, from an earlier thread:
    working on it wrote:... I've long considered an easy add-on, that stands out at night... a "line of fire" type LED light bar (like added to many pick-ups). There are some that have multi-functions, and a four-way connector for easy hook-up to the trailer wiring. It's on my to-do list.... Decided on a high-mount, then I taped and screwed (using PL adhesive to waterproof the screw holes) the light strip to the hatch. The control box is inside the galley, and the 4-way plug is there too; I used a matching 4-way to mate with it (so I could use an existing hole in the galley floor to connect it under the trailer to my Spectro wiring center), then I ran the wiring inside the hatch seals for a "hidden look". Programming the sequential turn signals took 20 seconds, and done.
  • High-mount LED's, and reflective strips for max visibility.jpg
    High-mount LED's, and reflective strips for max visibility.jpg (164.04 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks for swinging in aggie, coyote and working on it..

Glad to see you all drop by.. thanks for the thumbsup and kuddo's :D

Thanks for all the input about the doors and lights,, I really appreciate it... :)

Linda and I talked about the doors before.. Then the windows came at a great price and couldn't turn down the big one for a view.. and thought it went with the shape we finally settled on..
Plus, It will help with not feeling so claustrophobic.. (I dismantled an elevator I was stuck in once) :lol: :roll:

As for the lights, we found what was required on a site that Sharon shared in an earlier post, it was very helpful.. :thumbsup: ,

S. Heisley wrote:: Here is some help. I believe clearance lights are federally regulated because a vehicle can end up on any road, anywhere in the USA....:

Best Wishes!
...Sharon....

I think I can...I THINK I can...I THINK; I CAN! (I think I did it!)

So I've started running the wiring.. it only requires a little extra wiring to make it legal in all states.. Now is the time to do it, before I get it all skinned..
(I follow David's LAW, what others get by with, I'll get stopped) :lol:

Get at it, do something everyday, and relax at the end of the day,, knowing you're that much closer to camping,, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals