Raven's Nest update 12/28/2021

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 2/20/18

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:32 am

Staryder61 wrote:Thanks for the compliment Sharon, and for checking out my build.
I can use them, :) they help to motivate me..
Slow at times but getting there.. ;)
Your build is one of the ones I have read through a couple times..
Is that marine paint still holding up good?
Wanted a complete woody, though, thinking now, :thinking: woody sides and maybe a PMF, painted top..

Hi, David:

Yes my marine paint is still holding up well; but, my trailer is kept in the garage when not camping. Woody sides are beautiful; however, they require maintenance every few years. Nevadatear's Monstero is one of the best I've seen, even after eight years of camping. I think they do maintenance on the sides every few years. I know they have put a fresh layer of protection on it at least once.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:27 am

Here's your motivation Tom,, :)

aggie79 wrote:Great progress David!

I need your motivation. I was going to clean out the garage yesterday and resurrect my window unit "frankenstein" project, but decided to go bike riding instead.

Take care,
Tom

A BIKE RIDE REALLY ???? :o :shock: knowing camping season is right around the corner .. What were you thinking ?? :?

You can ride when the garage is clean.. :thinking: and the "frankenstein" project is complete... :D

Now get'er done, and have a great day, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks for the reply, Sharon

The woody sides aren't as big a concern to me as the top.. ;) I know maintenance of the wood will have to be done.. it's the thought :thinking: of getting up on a ladder anytime top has to be done, (not getting any younger) and being 5' wide .
So thinking the top being painted will last longer between the maintenance times.. (less time on that ladder...) :lol: more durable...
That's why I'm giving the marine paint more thought.. :thinking: for the top and hatch.. David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:34 pm

If you decide to paint your roof, consider using a two part epoxy primer and then the top deck marine paint over that. That's what mine has and the epoxy primer has been wonderful. Even when rocks or metal has nicked the exterior marine paint, the marine epoxy primer has not been penetrated and the nicks can be touched up just like they would on an automobile.

Here is Debbie and Randy's build thread: viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
(I thought they had a metal roof....I guess not!)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks Sharon,
Checked out Debbie and Randy's build before, but went back and visited it again.. :) They did a great job on their's ..
Still have plenty of time to consider the top.. :thinking: which works, working on getting the galley in right now..
Cabinets are going smoothly, right now.. need to finish galley then on to the front bulkhead and cabinets..
Then the spider web of wiring :lol:

I'll stop there for now listing everything, don't want to get overwhelmed with it all. Getting to far ahead... on things to do...

As always, Thanks for following, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 2/28/18

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:39 pm

Want to Thank all of those who have been so helpful with answers to my questions, and for following our build.. :D

Tear time over the past several days.. :) health and weather has been co-operating.. so I am a little farther along..

Was able to get the solid surface counter cut and edged with black walnut, still needs sealed and buffed..

153282 153283

Then moved along to working on the oak face frames for the cabinets.. here they are in the shop..

153284 153285

Took everything down to the other shop and started adding cleats to install everything.. :applause:

Need to get the dividers, shelves and top made for the upper cabinets.. Lower cabinets need the struts for the drawer rails made and installed..
Then to get it all finished..

Electrical panel will be in the lower part of the upper center cabinet.. will make it removable, out of a piece of the solid surface that's left over.. :thinking: cut and route it for AC receptacles, DC accessory outlet, USB plug-ins, switches for the lights in the galley..

Hopefully more tear time tomorrow,, :worship: Beavers Bend 7 weeks away.. and need a shake down before then.... ;)
I can hope right?????
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:59 pm

Gonna vent a moment..
Gheesh, no tear time today :(
Took youngest to get drivers license.. what a nitemare. :?
8 hours later we are back home with his license. :o
After leaving there once to get another form that wasn't filled out right by the school.... :roll:
Have a great evening y'all, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Staryder61 wrote:Gonna vent a moment..
Gheesh, no tear time today :(
Took youngest to get drivers license.. what a nitemare. :?
8 hours later we are back home with his license. :o
After leaving there once to get another form that wasn't filled out right by the school.... :roll:
Have a great evening y'all, David
Sorry to hear about your waste of a day. these are the days they hopefully are grateful of your sacrifice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:31 am

Postby clamlamp , Sorry to hear about your waste of a day. these are the days they hopefully are grateful of your sacrifice.

Not a total waste of the day.. I'm so proud of him.. :thumbsup: he worked hard to get his license... :D he was very Thankful...

We did get to spend the day together and did lunch while we were out.. in today's world, we as parents are very Thankful for the way our children have turned out.. :thumbsup: :applause:

I just find it hard to believe, that a system that has been around for so many years. Can not run more smoothly and efficient..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 3/6/18

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:58 am

Electrical panel started for the galley area.. :)

Panel is cut out of some scrap solid surface left over from the counter top..
Includes GFI, 12 dc cigarette/accessory socket, volt gauge, and switches for lights in the galley area..

Started the drawer boxes for the galley,, 1/2" birch, ripped and cut to size,

153340 153341

tomorrow will rout rabbet joints on the side rails for the fronts and backs, then rout the grooves for the 1/4" birch bottoms. Sand, assemble and seal...

Electric wiring will be next on the list to work on and complete.... all lights (DC, led), USB chargers and fantastic fan will run on a battery.. battery will be charged by TV, or charger when hooked up to shore power..

Will have ac receptacles in galley and cabin.. for use when connected to shore power..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 pm

That solid surface looks awesome. Can't wait for your next update David

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:05 am

No pictures to post right now clam,, :(
I am still working on the tear.. All my drawer boxes are built for the galley. :) Now working on the doors for the upper cabinets... :thinking:
Hopefully have them done in the next couple days.. then I'll get more pictures up.. :pictures: when I get them all installed..

I am very Thankful for being able to use my adopted brothers building to build the tear inside.. though, it takes some time when building things like the drawer boxes and doors, moving tools and material from the one shop to the other to get things done.. :roll:
Slows things down a little.. ;) David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:53 am

David, my barn/shop is just 36miles each way from the house

i feel the pain

and my pocketbook feel$ the mile$

'njoyin' the build

BUTT... NEED MORE PICS for this old man's eyes

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:48 pm

Staryder61 wrote:...I am very Thankful for being able to use my adopted brothers building to build the tear inside.. though, it takes some time when building things like the drawer boxes and doors, moving tools and material from the one shop to the other to get things done.. :roll:
Slows things down a little.. ;) David
swoody126 wrote:David, my barn/shop is just 36miles each way from the house
i feel the pain
and my pocketbook feel$ the mile

sw
  • I was also fortunate to have a friend who wanted to help me start my trailer build, using his shop, instead of my garage (which was full at the time). He was better equipped out there, to make it better than I could at home (then), but it turned out to be a win/lose dichotomy.
  • I was going to enlarge the frame, from 50"x 60", to 50"x 96", so I could have a 4'x 8' floor with edge-to-edge support underneath. I told him of my plan to use flat steel bar stock, bolted to the existing frame, and using the same bolt-on technique, to replace the bent single-beam tongue. He demurred, saying that welding would be better, and faster (and with a cleaner finished appearance); I agreed, and since he was the expert with the equipment (I had none of either, at the time), I loaded the little trailer on my car-hauler, and took it to his shop, where it stayed for 11 months. He had 3x the space there, 10x the tools, and lots more trailer-building experience (frames only...the upper structure was a first for both of us).
  • I've related in many posts that the advantages of building the trailer at his shop were many, but over time, having it 50+ miles from my home eventually became such a disadvantage, that I had to bring it home, to finish it (another 11 months). I was already working many hours at my job, which was 60 miles from my house, so driving the added mileage was really time and $$ consuming. And, I had no time to work on it there, at his shop, as I wished...at home, I could work on it anytime, day or night. Sometimes I would go to his shop, and have to work only on his projects, and not my trailer at all (I estimate that I worked < 25% on my trailer, while there, at most).
  • Overall, my trailer build was better for the helping hand it was given at first, but our relationship grew strained because of it, and we parted as friends (after 15 years). In retrospect, I should've built it at home, alone. It would've taken longer, at first, but would've been completed faster, I think, with our friendship still intact. I hope you have better luck with your building experience.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 3/11/18 "Work in progress"

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:54 am

Thanks for joining in swoody and working on it,,

I am happy :D and so Thankful for the use of the other shop... if not for it.. I would be trying to build this on my carport.. which the weather would have delayed everything... and it wouldn't have been tall enough to work on the tear once the sides were up...
Have a little more benefit then both of you.. the shop I'm using is a lot closer.. no mileage for me to drive... it is very close to home.. can walk to it if needed.. :thumbsup: Just need to plan better from day to day.. To make sure I bring the right tools and material to the shop that i'm working in for that day.. ;) :roll: I do have enough help with the build when needed, if I ask for it.. Though, I enjoy the time alone working on it too.. gives me time to think things through..

I just keep telling myself,, I'm getting it done.. :D And that I am enjoying the build... when it's done, me and my best friend (wife) will enjoy it for years.. and who knows, the kids may want to use it once in a while... :NC
From what I read on here all the time,, these tears, ttt's are never done.. :thinking: So it is and will always be "A work in progress". ;)

Drawer boxes now built out of Baltic birch, ready to be sealed with clear coat..

Top one is for the camp stove pull out with pan storage underneath.. it will be mounted on full extension drawer rails..

Then started working on the frames for the doors.. Door stiles are 3/4" x 1 3/8" red oak with 5/8" x 3/4" black walnut glued together....

153420 153421

The oak was purchased at a small cabinet shop here in town,, a long with 1/2" x 5' x 5' Baltic birch ply and the solid surface I'm using for the counter top,, all was for a great price.. :D

Always check with your local cabinet shops for extra material they may have laying around, left over from jobs they have done.. They usually have plenty they are more than happy to sale at a very reduced price just to get rid of it.. at a better quality then the big box stores...

Cut and clamped the first door frame together.. routed the round over on the inside of the frame.. will pop clamps off,, then rout the groove for the 1/4" oak panel,, sand, then glue and assemble..

153422 153423

As in the past posts,, I am using the black walnut to add some contrast to all the red oak..

Wanted at least the galley completed,, for the first camping experience.. convenience.. the rest of the interior cabin cabinets can wait til later.. when the galley is complete I will focus on getting the rest of the tear campable.. wiring, skinned, weather proofed, road worthy and registered..

Enough time on here, I need to get busy..
Thanks for following,, all input keeps me motivated.. David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals