Raven's Nest update 12/28/2021

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 8/12/18

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:20 am

Temperature in the shop finally dropped below the 90 degree mark, So with a couple fans, had some better tear time..
Got the bottom of the hatch wood(weather seal area) all cut and glued in.. Pulled all the clamps and spacers off from the sides. Raised it again, everything's staying in place. :applause: With a 1/4" gap both sides between the hatch and the galley sides.. so it's staying square.. :thumbsup: Looks beefy, but, I can still raise it with one hand without much effort.. not sure yet whether to use gas struts :NC or just make support rods using boat bimini top support hardware (the hardware works great on our pontoon boat top in high winds) . They will lock in place to keep the wind from tearing off the hatch sometime. or raising it and dropping it on our heads :frightened:
Started all the sanding on the sides, getting them ready for the 1/4" skins.. We will drive down to Austin to Fine Lumber tomorrow morning and pick out our 1/4" ply for the side skins and the 1/8" for the top and hatch..
wondering if 1/8" will be enough for the top and hatch, or if I should double it to 1/4"
Plan on using Pl Premium, clamps and wide crown staples where they won't be seen to apply the skins.
Now having problems with the 8 month old deep cycle battery. Won't keep a charge.. :x have to deal with that this week also.. Exchange it.. is better to find out now, then out camping.. :thinking:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby ojgrsoi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Staryder61 wrote:Now having problems with the 8 month old deep cycle battery. Won't keep a charge.. :x have to deal with that this week also.. Exchange it.. is better to find out now, then out camping.. :thinking:

Was it connected? If so no current draw?
Or did it test bad when you returned it?
Mark
Weatherford - True Texas

https://youtu.be/BKs6XfgAKKc
ojgrsoi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:45 am

ojgrsoi wrote:
Staryder61 wrote:Now having problems with the 8 month old deep cycle battery. Won't keep a charge.. :x have to deal with that this week also.. Exchange it.. is better to find out now, then out camping.. :thinking:

Was it connected? If so no current draw?
Or did it test bad when you returned it?

Mark, bought 8 months ago, used briefly first couple months off and on to check all dc wiring ( No problems ) Lately, been using it ( a couple months) connected to use the radio when working on camper.. only draw on it is memory for radio and the volt meter in the galley.. Rechecked all wiring, no dead shorts anywhere. Called the battery place, they said "Before bringing it back, check fluid level in battery.. top it off if low and fully charge it.." It was a little low, (not below the cores) topped it of with distilled water. Charged it, held a charge for two days then dead again..now will work showing 12 volts as long as I have 2 amp trickle charge on it, nothing as soon as I disconnect the charger,, so taking it back.. hopefully they will check it, it will show bad, and just replace it.. It's 35 miles one way to the battery place... :x
Apologies for getting so winded here, just frustrated...
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 7/27/18

Postby swoody126 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:09 am

this is the ONLY reason i intentionally darken the doors of WallyWorld

BATTERIES for all my vehicular(car, Jeep, F-350, John Deere tractor, boats & travel trlr) needs come from Wally

Wally is everywhere and most often way closer than designated battery stores

too bad they don't carry the sealed(work downsideupwards) Odyssey units i use in a couple of my off road toys which i have to source at Batteries + Bulbs Plus

obviously charging the culprit b4 going in to have one checked usually saves you oodles n gobs of tyme(i have found myself stuck there for over 4 hours when i take the F-350 w/ it's dual battery system in) since their equipment can't check one out if it is out of electrons

GOOD LUCK w/ your problem

here's hoping it is the battery and not some stray electron avenues enticing the little rascals to escape n evade their storage unit

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 8/15/18

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:37 am

sw, good point on Wally World,
Even Battery plus is right here close,
Thinking just a bad battery, it happens.. everything else checks out..
Use two of the same batteries on our pontoon boat, no problems with them.. alternate their use with two position cut off switch.. using one at a time, and have other for back up.. have never had to switch to other battery while out on the water..
Thanks for telling me about the wait time, I will make sure it's completely charged before going there to have it checked
Last edited by Staryder61 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 8/18/18

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:18 pm

Well, par for the course,,
Tear adding more wear and tear on the ole body. :)
Out of commission for a few days, trying to get over a sciatic nerve problem.. no biggie, done this before.. :roll: ;)
So ply all picked up for the skins, it's in the shop waiting, laying flat..
Skins won't be a problem when I get back to it. Doing red oak 1/4" ply for the sides. Have already picked the way the grain will run and where to make the seams.
While down,, have been spending time going over the forum once again. So much helpful information on here..
Still not sure what finish to do on the top part of this tear.. staying woody on the sides for sure. Later on the sides will have wood trim around the edges, over the seams and around doors and windows.
That leaves the decision of coating the top skins, which are a good grade of luan underlay.
1. seal with the mix and paint,
2. seal and bed liner it,
3. PMF and paint?
Just so many ways to choose from.. :? and most all turn out really good from what I've seen on here.
May just have to wait and see how the skins go on the top.. and what preparation it will take to get it ready to finish..?
Now I know why some have such a hard time doing the first one of these..
I have a list of things I would do different should I ever decide to build another one..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:10 am

Staryder61 wrote:Well, par for the course,,
Tear adding more wear and tear on the ole body. :)
Out of commission for a few days, trying to get over a sciatic nerve problem.. no biggie, done this before.. :roll: ;)
So ply all picked up for the skins, it's in the shop waiting, laying flat..
Skins won't be a problem when I get back to it. Doing red oak 1/4" ply for the sides. Have already picked the way the grain will run and where to make the seams.
While down,, have been spending time going over the forum once again. So much helpful information on here..
Still not sure what finish to do on the top part of this tear.. staying woody on the sides for sure. Later on the sides will have wood trim around the edges, over the seams and around doors and windows.
That leaves the decision of coating the top skins, which are a good grade of luan underlay.
1. seal with the mix and paint,
2. seal and bed liner it,
3. PMF and paint?
Just so many ways to choose from.. :? and most all turn out really good from what I've seen on here.
May just have to wait and see how the skins go on the top.. and what preparation it will take to get it ready to finish..?
Now I know why some have such a hard time doing the first one of these..
I have a list of things I would do different should I ever decide to build another one..

Sorry to hear about your health issues again. I always look forward to your updates. It's unfortunate we don't live closer because I would not mind sparing some time to help.

I like pmf but thinking back on the ironing and 6 coats of paint, it was quite a bit of work. On the contrary, my trailer has been sitting outside collecting dust and it's so easy to clean with the gloss exterior paint. Not sure how easy bed liner is to apply. Either way, I don't think you will have issues with those two.

I'm currently laying in my trailer with my wife and daughter testing out how it will be like sleeping with all of us in here. We have trained her so well to sleep alone in her crib that she doesn't want to sleep if we are around and she only wants to play. We have a camping trip next weekend to San Luis Obispo so trying to iron out everything for our first family trip.

Hang in there,
Paul

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 8/19/18

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:26 am

Paul, Thank you for the reply and also for offering the help..
This is just another little delay.. (Take care of your body while you're young) no worries here.. I've come a great way on this tear since last November. Not worrying about getting it done, it'll get there. ;) Will be nice to get to use it this Fall, starting with cooler weather..
I'm sure once the skins are on, the :lightbulb: in my head will come on about finishing the top. :DOH2: I'll jump into it and get it done.. I've seen some really nice ones done with PMF, yours included in those. And mine would just be the top section.. So we'll see..

You get everything planned out for your family trip, and have fun with it.. that little one will be fine. You and momma will wear her out during the day, and she'll go right to sleep when it's time..

Have fun and be safe, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 8/20/18

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:23 pm

clamlamp wrote:
I like pmf but thinking back on the ironing and 6 coats of paint, it was quite a bit of work. On the contrary, my trailer has been sitting outside collecting dust and it's so easy to clean with the gloss exterior paint. Not sure how easy bed liner is to apply. Either way, I don't think you will have issues with those two.

Hang in there,
Paul
Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Paul, decided on PMF, finally for the top... :) ordering canvas from Big Duck Canvas, to get it big enough not to have any seams on the top.. then paint it the color we want. Thinking :thinking: a darker red on the top and fenders, will be a good contrast, with the woody sides. From seeing yours and several others PMF'd, it'll turn out nice.. and will last.
Couple more days relaxing and will be back at it..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:29 am

Hi David,

Very nice progress even with the health setbacks. The weather here has been brutal this summer. I can take the 100+ degree heat but the heat plus the high humidity has sidelined me. I hope your back gets in shape soon and you can get back to work (although it looks like we're back to high heat & high humidity for the next couple of weeks.) I love the look of a woodie and can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:23 am

The weather here has been brutal this summer. I can take the 100+ degree heat but the heat plus the high humidity has sidelined me.

We've gone the other way. 90+ degree heat with 10% humidity. Sure, it's a dry heat but throw in a bit of lightning and Dirty-August arrives.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Raven's Nest

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:33 am

aggie79 wrote:Hi David,

Very nice progress even with the health setbacks. The weather here has been brutal this summer. I can take the 100+ degree heat but the heat plus the high humidity has sidelined me. I hope your back gets in shape soon and you can get back to work (although it looks like we're back to high heat & high humidity for the next couple of weeks.) I love the look of a woodie and can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Take care,
Tom

Thanks Tom, glad to see you roaming on here..
Figured out one thing on these little campers. Build them when you're younger.. :lol: ;) Planning and building it is so much of the funn. I'm still enjoying it, and happy with the progress. Even with the little setbacks, now and then.. I've taken your advice and a couple others and I've quit worrying about when I want it to be done. It'll be done when it's done..
Yes, the heat and humidity has been brutal for us. We'll be back into the triple digits with our high humidity most of this week again.. I've always loved the woody look too. Being a woody, with getting the red oak for the skins, have to decide now, light skin, dark trim or visa versa.. decisions, decisions ??
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Raven's Nest

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:45 am

tony.latham wrote:
The weather here has been brutal this summer. I can take the 100+ degree heat but the heat plus the high humidity has sidelined me.

We've gone the other way. 90+ degree heat with 10% humidity. Sure, it's a dry heat but throw in a bit of lightning and Dirty-August arrives.

Tony

Always wondered if you had the humidity that we do? Funny how much difference there can be.. either way, when it gets above 90 degrees, weather man should keep it easy and just say "Well, it's another hot day today". ;)
Tony, what number camper are you up to now? 3 or 4?
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:13 pm

Staryder61 wrote:
tony.latham wrote:

Tony

Always wondered if you had the humidity that we do? Funny how much difference there can be.. either way, when it gets above 90 degrees, weather man should keep it easy and just say "Well, it's another hot day today". ;)
Tony, what number camper are you up to now? 3 or 4?

I’ve started #4 in my head. Does that count? Planning on cutting the template late fall.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:26 am

tony.latham wrote:
I’ve started #4 in my head. Does that count? Planning on cutting the template late fall.

T
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With 3 completed and number 4 in your head. Late Fall is approaching fast. We'll count it started.. :lol:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals