Raven's Nest update 12/28/2021

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 3/28/18

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:22 am

Quick update::

Yesterday: Front bulkhead re-installed,, had two pieces of 1/8" ply left over from skinning the inside of the roof. So scabbed them together for the skin.. Seam will be inside behind the shelves of the bulkhead and eventually behind doors.. Glued on skin using PL Premium, ratchet clamps to hold in place, , shot with wide crown staples on low air pressure..

Get the struts over the skin in today and continue with the wiring..

With each post I'm that much closer... ;)

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.. sure hope it's not a bullet train... :lol:

I agonized for several months whether to start this project.. should I do it? could I do it? what would it cost? I am doing it !!! :D
For anyone that wonders the same thing.. :thinking:
Work on a plan.. start getting things together and then jump in.. You won't regret it.. :applause:
You might make some mistakes,, I have... and I have learned from them,, fixed them and moved on.. :roll:

And use this forum,, the people here are great.. a very big help.. anything you run into, you're not sure of, can be found here.. read and ask questions..
I remind myself,, just how much we will enjoy this when it's done.. get away from the house,, meet new people and have a blast camping... :campfire: :vroom:
That's what it's all about.. :) Building it and then using it.. Have fun, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 3/20/18

Postby clamlamp » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Staryder61 wrote:Quick update::

Yesterday: Front bulkhead re-installed,, had two pieces of 1/8" ply left over from skinning the inside of the roof. So scabbed them together for the skin.. Seam will be inside behind the shelves of the bulkhead and eventually behind doors.. Glued on skin using PL Premium, ratchet clamps to hold in place, , shot with wide crown staples on low air pressure..

Get the struts over the skin in today and continue with the wiring..

With each post I'm that much closer... ;)

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.. sure hope it's not a bullet train...

I agonized for several months whether to start this project.. should I do it? could I do it? what would it cost? I am doing it !!! :D
For anyone that wonders the same thing.. :thinking:
Work on a plan.. start getting things together and then jump in.. You won't regret it.. :applause:
You might make some mistakes,, I have... and I have learned from them,, fixed them and moved on.. :roll:

And use this forum,, the people here are great.. a very big help.. anything you run into, you're not sure of, can be found here.. read and ask questions..
I remind myself,, just how much we will enjoy this when it's done.. get away from the house,, meet new people and have a blast camping... :campfire: :vroom:
That's what it's all about.. :) Building it and then using it.. Have fun, David
Well said. I checked this website multiple times a day to read up and get inspiration. I was worried this project would take a lot longer than expected to get it campable but it seems like we can hit our Target dates! I agree it's a fun build but I'd rather be using it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 4/1/18

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:12 am

Front struts in place over headboard skin..
Wiring continues..

Getting the wiring in galley finished up for electrical panel, panel will have GFI AC receptacle, DC USB phone charger, voltmeter, switches for galley lights..

All DC wiring will be supplied from the battery in the tongue box.. Power is a Deep Cell Marine battery.. battery will be charged and maintained by a 2amp - 6amp 12 volt battery charger in the tongue box.. tongue box will have an AC GFI receptacle for the battery charger when hooked to shore power..
Battery has a 30 amp fuse about 6 inches from the battery on the 14 gauge primary wire going to the fuse block in the headboard area of the tear.. fuse block will carry 15 amp fuses for all individual circuits..

153736 153737

Today 4/2/18 :

Couple more circuit checks on the DC, then run the AC wiring for the GFI receptacles.. one in the galley, one in the headboard and one in the tongue box for the battery charger..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Looking great David! That galley is going to be awesome! :applause:
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:57 pm

re purposed light in place..

153779 153780

Having a problem with the ceiling,, :x it bubbled.. glue let go.. I think it was the humidity.. I used PL Premium and a 1/8" notched adhesive spreader when I did it.. will have to fix at a later date....

Ok, BRAGGIN RIGHTS HERE FOR A MINUTE....

The following pictures are of a console my 18 year-old son made for his pick up.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can you tell he is proud of his CHEVY Silverado? He got the truck on his birthday.. buying it himself from (me) his dear ole Dad.. I am so PROUD of him... :thumbsup:

153781 153782 153783 153784 153785

Chevy bow tie is routed in solid surface and backed by same ply he built the console out of. It's his change compartment.. ;) :D
He free handed the bow tie on a router table.. then sanded and filed it to perfection...
The console houses his CB and the switches are for the numerous things he plans on adding to the truck...
Told him I want one next.... ;) :roll:
The boys got talent.... :)
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:49 am

Staryder61 wrote:re purposed light in place..

153779 153780

Having a problem with the ceiling,, :x it bubbled.. glue let go.. I think it was the humidity.. I used PL Premium and a 1/8" notched adhesive spreader when I did it.. will have to fix at a later date....

Ok, BRAGGIN RIGHTS HERE FOR A MINUTE....

The following pictures are of a console my 18 year-old son made for his pick up..

Can you tell he is proud of his CHEVY Silverado? He got the truck on his birthday.. buying it himself from (me) his dear ole Dad.. I am so PROUD of him...

153781 153782 153783 153784 153785

Chevy bow tie is routed in solid surface and backed by same ply he built the console out of. It's his change compartment.. ;) :D
He free handed the bow tie on a router table.. then sanded and filed it to perfection...
The console houses his CB and the switches are for the numerous things he plans on adding to the truck...
Told him I want one next.... ;) :roll:
The boys got talent.... :)
I came to your build Journal to asked if there were any updates and there was this post that didn't pop on my subscription feed.

Sorry to hear about the Bubbles. Is it the paint bubbling or plywood?

That console is awesome! You have all the reason to be bragging.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks for dropping in clam,
The bubbling part is a acrylic plastic paneling sheet like you'd use for a tub surround..
Used it before with no problems and it turned out really smooth and nice.. ;) of course that was in a house.
I think the hot, cold shift in the weather and humidity affected it in the shop.. :x
Couldn't control the temperature.. lesson learned.. :roll: :thinking:

Well working on some wiring I needed to finish up under the trailer.. getting up I twisted and threw my back out.. :x So all work on tear has come to a complete halt for a few days..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:47 pm

Oh, I hate it when that happens. Hope you heal up soon and can get going again.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Thanks KC,,
at this point, muscle relaxers, Ibuprofen and I, have become good friends for a few days... :D
A little back ache few days ago, probably telling me to slow down then.. :roll: But of course I didn't listen.. :shock:
Will be better in a few days with some major rest.. then back at it..

:thumbsup: David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:37 am

David,
Sorry to hear about your back. I know how you fee. I have "cocktail" of prescriptions ready for when mine gives up on me. I wish you a speedy recovery. I know you want to keep pushing to get ready for Beavers Bend but you're already much farther along than when our teardrop made its maiden voyage there.
Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:00 pm

Thanks Tom,
We've accepted the Raven will not be going to BB. :(
Just to many things to get done to be campable for BB. Though, no worries.. :)
Hopefully, give the back enough time to get better. And use a SUV tent at BB. :lol:
Then work on tear at a slower pace when we get back. I was pushing pretty hard to get it done. :roll: :thinking:
There will be plenty of other times this camping season to use it.. :thumbsup:
Already, checking for other gatherings in our area...
Take care and be safe on your travels next week.. David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:06 am

Well Beavers Bend came and went, and we didn't make it.. :( sure hope everyone had a great time.. Tear wasn't finished because my body had other ideas of it's own.. one problem followed by another.. kept us from making the gathering.. and even working on the tear..
Still recovering,, have lost focus on the tear.
Have to get re-motivated and get things done.. or camping season will have come and gone.. without us getting to use it..
Worked on trailer wiring a little the last couple days, only to find out there's a major short somewhere.
Hooked up to the Suburban and killed it.. :o :shock:
Lost everything on the Suburban, all electrical.. wouldn't even start.. the battery had been drained to 5% in a matter of a few minutes..
Suburban has a factory tow package on it,, trailer connection on the back of it is a 7 pin, bought a 7pin to 4pin adapter.
After disconnecting the battery and charging it, hooked the adapter and tear back up. Same problem, drained the battery again..
Re-checked all the wiring and connections, everything is good..
Little brother gave me another adapter, so will try it today and see what happens.. he thinks there's a dead short in the adapter I was using.. Possible ?? Maybe ?? :roll: :thinking: if the other adapter doesn't work then I will be at a total lost..

Has anyone else had a similar problem?? I am open to suggestions and comments..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Nobes » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:54 am

Great work by your son. Very cool stuff!
Hate to hear about your back. I had similar issues during my build, eventually leading to back surgery. Hope you don't go there.
I hear you on losing motivation. I thought about changing the name of mine to the Frustration.
Wiring: I can't help much, I'm surprised I got mine done. Lots of things on here say the white ground wire just goes to the trailer chassis. When I did that, I had nothing. When I finally grounded each light, everything worked. Not sure that makes sense. It's also ok to find somebody who knows wiring to come to your shop & help! Good luck--

Good looking build, keep going!
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:35 am

Staryder61 wrote:...
Worked on trailer wiring a little the last couple days, only to find out there's a major short somewhere.
Hooked up to the Suburban and killed it.. :o :shock:
Lost everything on the Suburban, all electrical.. wouldn't even start.. the battery had been drained to 5% in a matter of a few minutes..
Suburban has a factory tow package on it,, trailer connection on the back of it is a 7 pin, bought a 7pin to 4pin adapter.
After disconnecting the battery and charging it, hooked the adapter and tear back up. Same problem, drained the battery again..
Re-checked all the wiring and connections, everything is good..
Little brother gave me another adapter, so will try it today and see what happens.. he thinks there's a dead short in the adapter I was using.. Possible ?? Maybe ?? :roll: :thinking: if the other adapter doesn't work then I will be at a total lost..

Has anyone else had a similar problem?? I am open to suggestions and comments..
  • Usually, trailer adapters have to be checked for corresponding circuitry, wire to wire. The pins may not be transferring power to the particular circuit that you assume it will. There seems to be no standard followed, manufacturer to manufacturer, in the US; I've had to re-wire many adapters to work on various tow vehicle/trailer combinations, using both testers and multimeters (with long test lead extensions), one circuit at a time.
  • It's not so bad now; I've not had to re-wire any molded/sealed adapters lately, but in the past, before factory trailer hitch/wiring became common, it was a very frequent thing to have the trailer circuits screwed up by the installer.
  • I'm not sure I can diagnose the problem in your situation,; perhaps your Suburban has a loose connection at the bumper (my '04 2500 HD pickup did), or similarly on the controller (my '98 GMC did)>>>both were causing dead shorts. Get a tester, a multimeter, long test leads, and your son to help...I'm sure you can locate the problem, or take it to a trailer hitch installer, or a U-Haul center...they usually have expensive testers there that can identify the problem quickly, or have employees that have seen it all before.... Good luck.
  • tester.JPG
    tester.JPG (55.3 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
  • multimeter.JPG
    multimeter.JPG (78.66 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lincolnlerner » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Great advice and tools! Short a very high chance. To drain the battery so quickly. Also a hint. No fuses blown? No fire, hot wires? Melted wiring? A simple check suggested by Working on it will find it. REMEMBER: The bulbs usually complete a circuit. Causing a ground to show up, (at least in the old bulb days).

This will be solved and you will be camping soon!
lincolnlerner
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals