Raven's Nest update 12/28/2021

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 7/19/18 Hatch Build

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:57 pm

KCStudly wrote:Nom, nom, nom. That looks delish'!!!

Oh KC, it was,, I'm happy to say :D The bacon not only keeps the brisket from burning on the out side. It helps a great deal to seal in the juices, with the fat from the bacon adding to the brisket flavor.. turned out so tender and juicy...
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 7/18/18 Hatch

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:41 pm

clamlamp wrote:
I only went that one time to test it out, after that my dad had a stroke and so I've been busy taking are of him and trying to understand Medicare in all it's complexities. He was fortunate to be able to move his body again but his real weakness is in his cognitive ability. I hope to be able to do a weekender as soon as possible.

So sorry to hear about your Dad clam.... Our thoughts are with you and your family.. I can relate on a personal level, unlike you dealing with your Dad. The role here is in reverse, I had to have brain surgery a few years ago because of a major aneurysm. Though the surgery was a success, and I'm still here. :D The surgery was very intrusive and I have been left with residual affects sort of mimicking a stroke.. Still having problems with cognitive and physical abilities.. We are not the only victims.. our families give up so much taking care of us.. loving us so much through it all.. and oh yes the Medicare,, WOW!!!!

Deciding to build this camper was a major deal for me.. not sure if I would or could finish it. Which is why it seems to me it's taking longer than expected. But I needed to do it for myself as much as doing it for my wife and I to just enjoy. I forget things a lot in the middle of doing them, have to stop and take time to rethink what I was doing. Then there's those days I can barely get out of bed, let alone work on something like the camper. Things that I used to take for granted, like using some tools, is very hard for me now.. But hey, I'm doing it.. :applause: And I have my family to Thank for all they did and do to help me through it all.. Your Dad is lucky to have you to take care of him... you ever just need to vent, send me an email,, I'd be more then happy to listen.. or talk things through with you, if it'd help.. Hang in there friend... David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Staryder61 wrote:
clamlamp wrote:
I only went that one time to test it out, after that my dad had a stroke and so I've been busy taking are of him and trying to understand Medicare in all it's complexities. He was fortunate to be able to move his body again but his real weakness is in his cognitive ability. I hope to be able to do a weekender as soon as possible.

So sorry to hear about your Dad clam.... Our thoughts are with you and your family.. I can relate on a personal level, unlike you dealing with your Dad. The role here is in reverse, I had to have brain surgery a few years ago because of a major aneurysm. Though the surgery was a success, and I'm still here. :D The surgery was very intrusive and I have been left with residual affects sort of mimicking a stroke.. Still having problems with cognitive and physical abilities.. We are not the only victims.. our families give up so much taking care of us.. loving us so much through it all.. and oh yes the Medicare,, WOW!!!!

Deciding to build this camper was a major deal for me.. not sure if I would or could finish it. Which is why it seems to me it's taking longer than expected. But I needed to do it for myself as much as doing it for my wife and I to just enjoy. I forget things a lot in the middle of doing them, have to stop and take time to rethink what I was doing. Then there's those days I can barely get out of bed, let alone work on something like the camper. Things that I used to take for granted, like using some tools, is very hard for me now.. But hey, I'm doing it.. :applause: And I have my family to Thank for all they did and do to help me through it all.. Your Dad is lucky to have you to take care of him... you ever just need to vent, send me an email,, I'd be more then happy to listen.. or talk things through with you, if it'd help.. Hang in there friend... David

For all your challenges you are doing great! I applaud your effort. My father is stubborn and refuses to acknowledge his cognitive issues and doesn't want to do the therapy with me, but we are all coping I guess.

As for camping, I'm planning to go back to the same beach spot for with my trailer next week before work starts. Hopefully I can catch fish again but even if not it'll be good to get away from the stress for a few days.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:57 am

clamlamp wrote:
For all your challenges you are doing great! I applaud your effort. My father is stubborn and refuses to acknowledge his cognitive issues and doesn't want to do the therapy with me, but we are all coping I guess.

As for camping, I'm planning to go back to the same beach spot for with my trailer next week before work starts. Hopefully I can catch fish again but even if not it'll be good to get away from the stress for a few days.

Thank you clam, I've never been one to be told "No, you can't do that". Tell me I can't, and watch out.. :lol: And to be stubborn is a right of getting older.. :D
Camping for you next week will be good, and will help with some of the stress.. so enjoy it, as you said, Fish or not.....

I'll be working on ours. It's going to see camping sometime soon.. :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 7/27/18

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:57 am

Hatch build, moving a little slow, ;)
Have been working on the tail light boxes.. working on them as I can..

Tail lights for tear drop will be up and down on the hatch instead of sideways.. stop, tail lights on top, reverse lights in the bottom hole. I cut the sides out of 3/4" cedar, then cut and glued 1/8" ply over the curve part.. clamped with a ratchet strap and shim boards for even pressure.

155400 155401 155432

3/4" cedar wood frame to match galley hatch curve, covered with 1/8" plywood. Marked and saber sawed wholes for the PVC pipe. Mounting and gluing the PVC in boxes, making sure both pieces of PVC were mounted with the same 5 degree angle downward, to let any water drain out of the bottom and not pool in the light openings. When dried, the PVC will be sanded off flush with the 1/8" plywood.

155436 155437 155438

These boxes will be mounted in the hatch framing.. along each side..
When all framing is completed, I will skin the hatch with 1/8" plywood. Where the recesses for the lights are, I will drill a hole and use a flush router bit to cut out the holes.. then round over the edges.. the edge of the PVC will be hidden by the outer skin.. inside of PVC will be painted..
The license plate area will be done the same way when finished..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Nice. :thumbsup:

How will you seal the lights to prevent water from getting into the galley? Do they have rubber grommets, or do you plan on using sealer? ...or will you be capping the inside end of the PVC?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:14 pm

KCStudly wrote:Nice. :thumbsup:

How will you seal the lights to prevent water from getting into the galley? Do they have rubber grommets, or do you plan on using sealer? ...or will you be capping the inside end of the PVC?

Thanks KC, the lights fit nice and tight inside the PVC, and the rubber grommets that came on the front of the lights, have been trimmed and fit really tight in the back of the PVC, against the back of the lights. and will make for easy light removal for repair or change if needed..
Before I followed through with the work of making the boxes, tried one light in place with the grommet. Laid it down facing up and poured in water. Next morning, no water under light on table.. :thumbsup: so seals good..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:37 pm

French inset tail light boxes and license plate box completed. Positioned in galley hatch. Now can finish struts in hatch, wiring and then skin..
As I mentioned before, bottom light each side will be reverse lights..

155449 155450 155451

155452 155453 155454
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:53 pm

Looking great! After seeing the double lights I wish I added two

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:41 pm

clamlamp wrote:Looking great! After seeing the double lights I wish I added two

Thank you clam,
As for the two lights, I thought up and down would look better, than side beside. I've added reverse lights on every trailer I've ever had. Sure helps when you arrive somewhere at night..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:24 pm

Looking great David!

Keep up the good work but don't get heat stroke! Temperatures have been crazy this year.

BTW, take time on your build. It isn't a race. I worked on ours for 3-1/2 years and it still isn't finished.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:16 pm

aggie79 wrote:Looking great David!

Keep up the good work but don't get heat stroke! Temperatures have been crazy this year.

BTW, take time on your build. It isn't a race. I worked on ours for 3-1/2 years and it still isn't finished.

Take care,
Tom

Tom, Thank you,,

Hope you and Linda are doing good with all this heat..

Yes, with these temps lately, it's slowed down the build even more.. even the 96 degrees today feels like 102..
No race here to get it done.. working when I can, not to get to HOT.. usually early morning for a few hours..
Would like to get it skinned and sealed, that's my focus right now.. GO CAMPING when it's cooler and finish other things when I have time and money later.. :)

Take care and be safe, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Raven's Nest - Update 7/31/18

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:19 pm

Added 3/4" X 2 1/2" wide popular where the 4' joint seam will be for the skin..
Rest of the struts are glued in place..
Have a 2" x 4" x 5' piece of red cedar for the bottom of the hatch to add..
Need to insert and epoxy t-nuts in license plate recess box for the license plate screws..

155587 155588 155589

Then ready for light wiring and skinning....
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 8/5/18

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Hatch hinged temporary to make sure it raises right. Wanted to check it for being square, with out all the spacers between it and the sides of galley..

155611 155612

Also so I can figure out how high it should raise.:roll: This is 4" above my head.. seems high with the arch of the hatch, but I don't want to hit my head every time I walk under it. Or have to duck under it..

155626 155627 155624 155625

Working out the bottom edge at the end of the galley floor. That the hatch will close against and where the weather seal will be.. This has been hard for me to get my head wrapped around it.:crazy:
I've tried a couple different ideas and I think I finally have it figured out :lightbulb: so it will work and seal good.. fingers crossed here... :o

Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Raven's Nest - Update 8/8/18

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:01 pm

Drawing of how the seal on the bottom of the galley hatch will work..

Using popular and red cedar to fabricate the bottom of the hatch seal.. see above uploaded diagram

155659 155660 155661

Was it hot enough today for everyone?

This pic was taken at 5:30 pm, 8/8/18, inside the shop where I work on the tear drop... it hit 108 starting at 2:00 pm :sweaty: and was still 108 at 5:30..
I was there just long enough to check on a couple glued up pieces... I don't have enough of these :fan:

Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals