Photophobic retreat

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Photophobic retreat

Postby Photophobic » Sun May 06, 2018 5:10 am

Been awhile since I updated, lots of work, and progress but feeling a bit overwhelmed with how much is left to do.

The inner ply had to go on so I could brace the insulation against it from the outside since you can;t push a wedge in backwards. The bottom most front panel is already back off so trailer wires could be pulled inside while outer ply (and PMF) are applied. The thinner outer strips (lighter color) act as 7 1/2 ft electrical panels for my running lights

Insulation along the front curve, section 2 wouldn't stay put so I had to clamp a stick in place until the outer ply went on. The wire conduit on each side is for the marker lights that will go along the roof, surounding gaps will eventually be filled with spray foam.

Outer ply is in place. More woodplastic than I wanted to use, probably more than i need since it will be covered in pmf but decided to be relatively thorough to keep the canvas from sagging into gaps.
Paul

Photophobic photographer looking for adventure.
Follow my build thread Here and all my adventures on Instagram
View my work & learn more about what we can do for your business at https://www.paulbrousseauphotography.com
Photophobic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby clamlamp » Sun May 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Photophobic wrote:Been awhile since I updated, lots of work, and progress but feeling a bit overwhelmed with how much is left to do.

The inner ply had to go on so I could brace the insulation against it from the outside since you can;t push a wedge in backwards. The bottom most front panel is already back off so trailer wires could be pulled inside while outer ply (and PMF) are applied. The thinner outer strips (lighter color) act as 7 1/2 ft electrical panels for my running lights

Insulation along the front curve, section 2 wouldn't stay put so I had to clamp a stick in place until the outer ply went on. The wire conduit on each side is for the marker lights that will go along the roof, surounding gaps will eventually be filled with spray foam.

Outer ply is in place. More woodplastic than I wanted to use, probably more than i need since it will be covered in pmf but decided to be relatively thorough to keep the canvas from sagging into gaps.

looking good! keep it up!
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:22 am

As for the PMF, take a look at clamlamp's, his turned out really good, and he documented the process really well.. :thumbsup:
Any process, whether aluminum, wood or PMF, can turn out really good. All depends on the time it takes to do it right.
You have come a long way, the quality shows in everything you have accomplished.. :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
David

staryder61@gmail.com

"A Great Mind is like a Parachute, it works best when it is open.."
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Photophobic » Wed May 30, 2018 2:58 pm

Major snag today, after skinning and painting everything my galley hatches won't go back on. They have warped and are now skewed that if i line up 3 corners on one it's off by a couple inches on the 4th. The other is actually a tighter radius at one edge (no idea how that's even possible). They fit before, they were insulated and wired and then taken off to skin and paint and now that i'm out of canvas and ready for the last coat of paint i'm struggling with the idea i have to rip[ them apart and start over. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, i thought i was going to be sleeping in this next weekend...
Paul

Photophobic photographer looking for adventure.
Follow my build thread Here and all my adventures on Instagram
View my work & learn more about what we can do for your business at https://www.paulbrousseauphotography.com
Photophobic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Did you remove the hatch to do any of the skinning, gluing, building?

Whenever possible it is best to complete the hatch in place, then cut it free from the cabin after all major construction is complete. Things will always move around a little, and this is the best way to 'fixture' the hatch during construction.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals