DaddyJeep Crawler Hauler

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: DaddyJeep Crawler Hauler

Postby crxtech » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:15 am

DaddyJeep wrote:I'm making progress on exterior sheeting. One of the sheets of luan didn't cooperate and broke while trying to bend it. Apparently they are not all quite the same. They all seem to bend a little different. This is probably why most guys buy good quality plywood instead of luan. I did find some 1/4" birch ply as well as some 1/4" sanded ply at Home Depot... at 3x and 2x the price of luan respectively. I would like better wood for the inside since it will be stained, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Some progress pics for you. I would like to finish skinning the outside before I post another video.

Very nice looking build! How are you lining up the joints in the luan? I want to use 1/8 birch, but can only find 5x5' sheets and my build is wider then 5'
crxtech
Teardrop Builder

Postby DaddyJeep » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:56 am

crxtech wrote:
DaddyJeep wrote:I'm making progress on exterior sheeting. One of the sheets of luan didn't cooperate and broke while trying to bend it. Apparently they are not all quite the same. They all seem to bend a little different. This is probably why most guys buy good quality plywood instead of luan. I did find some 1/4" birch ply as well as some 1/4" sanded ply at Home Depot... at 3x and 2x the price of luan respectively. I would like better wood for the inside since it will be stained, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Very nice looking build! How are you lining up the joints in the luan? I want to use 1/8 birch, but can only find 5x5' sheets and my build is wider then 5'

Everything is lining up to the center of a "stud". This helps keep things square and support the seams. I do need to add some horizontal pieces at the seams there.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby DaddyJeep » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:31 am

The majority of the outer luan is done. I just have to do the fun part... the compound radius on the corner.

I am currently editing the next video.

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby DaddyJeep » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:13 pm

OK... Episode 3 is up on the Youtube. It is not the most exciting video, but I did what I could with a whole bunch of the same thing going on... cut a bunch of kerfs, spread some glue, and shoot a bunch of brad nails. Repeat that process 9 times.

https://youtu.be/TnWxYvFk49A

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby DaddyJeep » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:01 am

I put together the outside skin of the first compound radius last night. It went surprisingly well. I had figured out the circumference of both the large and small circles to come up with the general shape of the pieces. I knew that I would have to alter the shape a bit to fill between each piece due to the compound radius. I'm sure there is a way to calculate that, but I just cut a couple straight pieces, installed them, and measured the gap. I had a 1/4" gap so I added 1/8" to the center on each side and used a flexible ruler to make a radius. This will all make more sense when I get the next video up. ;)

I will use Bondo to fill any gaps and smooth out the radius, But it really came out good I think.

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:39 am

That compound corner looks awesome! Good work!
OP827
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:48 pm

That looks really good.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:03 am

Pretty impressive really! I'm a fan!
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Philip » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:13 pm

DaddyJeep wrote:I will use Bondo to fill any gaps and smooth out the radius, But it really came out good I think.

I would think about boat fairing compound. Most are based on epoxy. Expoy based is quite a bit stronger than body putty. Fairing compound works a little harder than body putty. But it is a structional compound when you are done. Body putty in thin layer over wood I wouldn't trust. It will crack with vibration.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby DaddyJeep » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Philip wrote:
DaddyJeep wrote:I will use Bondo to fill any gaps and smooth out the radius, But it really came out good I think.

I would think about boat fairing compound. Most are based on epoxy. Expoy based is quite a bit stronger than body putty. Fairing compound works a little harder than body putty. But it is a structional compound when you are done. Body putty in thin layer over wood I wouldn't trust. It will crack with vibration.

I will look into that. I will probably just stick with the bondo in reality though. I am plenty familiar with it for one and the corner structure should be the most solid part of the whole camper once the foam is bonded in there and the inner skin. The PMF will seal and strengthen it even more.

I did get the other corner buttoned up on my lunch break today.

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby MickinOz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:13 pm

Does this luan ply have waterproof glue?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby DaddyJeep » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:30 am

MickinOz wrote:Does this luan ply have waterproof glue?

It is outdoor rated luan so I think the answer to your question is yes. If any of it ever sees water I did something wrong though. :oops:

I finished up the last couple pieces on the front corners and started supporting the unsupported seams.

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby DaddyJeep » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:08 am

We have a window... :thumbsup: My oldest son stopped by so I put him to work giving me a hand. We got all of the supports for the seams glued and nailed in and got the first window frame in. I picked up one off those following bits for the router to cut the luan to the window frame.

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:19 am

You did very impressive work with these compound curve corners! The woody plywood looks amazing. I wonder what do you plan on the plywood protection and finish... If it was me I would be very tempted to leave a clear finish to show off the wood grain and your mad skills of sculpturing the curves...
OP827
Donating Member

Postby DaddyJeep » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:14 am

OP827 wrote:You did very impressive work with these compound curve corners! The woody plywood looks amazing. I wonder what do you plan on the plywood protection and finish... If it was me I would be very tempted to leave a clear finish to show off the wood grain and your mad skills of sculpturing the curves...

If I were to finish the wood to be visible I would have to have taken a lot more time with it. I have grain going different directions and seams that will need some fill. It is a 50 footer for sure. :lol: I am going to PMF the outside as it will remain somewhat flexible and easy maintenance. The inside however, I will be finishing the wood in there. I will be taking much more time in there to be sure my seams are tight. The compound radii will both be hidden so I don't have to be perfect there. One will be in the shower and the other behind cabinets.

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals