New build, going lighter but still square

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

New build, going lighter but still square

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 pm

INPUT IS WELCOME. I know many here have learned and done a lot more than me, so any advise (thats not expensive, budget is a major concern)

First build is serving us really well and I learned ALOT. Build 2 planning stage now underway. Hope is to sell current one for what I have invested (maybe make some for my hours in it too) when this one is ready.

But the weight is of "concern". Worst case loaded is 1500lbs (doesnt count gear in TV and 2 adults + 2 kids) and for our Odyssey its not a problem. Problem is now, I bought a CRV for myself. Love the thing. But max loadout is going ro be way to much for the thing as it has automatic trans. Not known for being the strongest transmission.

She tows it empty no problem. Thats a bit below 1000lbs. So loaded weight I want to hit that weight goal.

Width of current camper is good. About 56" (5ft wide external). Want to go slightly taller inside. Going to use a true 5ft wide trailer deck this time. Will give me the extra height.

External "design" will be very similar, but I want to add sloping in the rear to reduce drag there for highway towing. But add taper in the rear to reduce drag in that area.

Plan is to actually increase length of the camper itself to create the slope in the rear.

Internal bunk and "weekender" galley will be done a bit more efficiently.

CRV opens options too, table is of minimal concern now, it has one that is the rear storage cover

Onto build plan:

Not doing full foamie. But greatly reducing structural wood and using WAY more foam. Also minimizing thickness of all forms of ply used.

Minimal wood framing. Only 2x4 used will be hinge mounting locations for door and door latch, and galley hatch hinge mounting on main body. Rest will be 1x2, spaced as wide as possible. 1 3/4 xps foam to fill as before, but it will be much more of the structural strength instead of just fill and insulation. At "angles" there will be 2x2 on the corners, ripped for set angles.

A more tear drop shape would be nice but more complex than I have the equipment to do. So hopefully simple corners will suffice.

This is mental pictures and notes atm, still comparing notes from first build as to what did and didnt work as planned

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Re: New build, going lighter but still square

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Heres a couple pics of current camper to help a bit with where I am headed. Also did a build thread here for it, can see more details of how this was builtImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Return to Build Journals