Ken's Build Journal (Snappy Trailer Name TBD)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Ken's Build Journal (Snappy Trailer Name TBD)

Postby KendaldaCosta » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi All,

I've started the process of constructing my trailer. I have a target completion date of August 25th as I attend a slo-pitch tournament out of town every year on that weekend.

I settled on this design. 5x5x10 to accommodate me, my girlfriend and our 2 dogs, Gus, 2 (Golden Retriever) and Kella, 11 (Black Lab).
152016 152015

I started the designing in November 2017.

December 19, 2017 I started my full size cardboard mock up to ensure that we can all fit comfortably and everything works.

As far at names go, I'm tossing around Weekend Warrior and Weekend Wanderer but I'm open to other suggestions as well. The name will likely end up on the trailer somewhere.

I'm looking forward to the process and I hope you all enjoy following along!
Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Re: Ken's Build Journal (Snappy Trailer Name TBD)

Postby KendaldaCosta » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:36 am

Hit a big milestone this weekend. I secured the trailer base! up to this point, it didn't really seem like things were happening. Lots of planning. Drawing. Reorganizing. But now, it's starting to actually become real. I'm looking forward to diving in. I'll have to modify the framing a bit but I'm excited to get into it!

Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Postby DaddyJeep » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:12 pm

Cool. I look forward to some progress.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby swoody126 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:41 am

ready n waiting for MORE PICS
Attachments
popcorn.jpg
popcorn.jpg (29.65 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby KendaldaCosta » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:27 pm

A bit of slow going the last little while, but I did manage to get some plywood slapped together for the core of my walls and I got the floor framing mostly built. I'm going 5x10 so I had to combine a couple sheets to make my core. It's not the prettiest job, but it'll never be seen so I'm not too concerned.

I still need to modify my trailer frame size, but it's been too cold (-20C or worse) for the last little while and I don't like grinding in my garage because everything gets a fine layer of Rust Dust on it. Hopefully I can get the trailer to size soon. I managed to score some aluminum parts from work (commercial windows) that I can use for attachment of the walls to the floor so stay tuned for that.

I think my next step is going to be getting that frame to size and the floor in place. Till next time.
Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 pm

I still need to modify my trailer frame size, but it's been too cold...

I hear you. There are some things that need to be done outside the shop and winter surely gets in the way.

It sounds as if you are planning on assembling your 'drop on the trailer chassis. That's the way I did my first build. I found that it's a pain to work around the fenders/tires and tongue.

My second build was a coordinated effort with my bro-in-law. He built the chassis eight hours away and I built the cabin. I made a frame out of 2x4's and mounted casters underneath it. It's a much easier way of doing things.

If you go this way, just make sure you have your chassis hitched before you try to load the cabin. Don't ask.

If you get on Youtube and see how So-Cal and Camp-Inn (and other fine producers) make 'em, you'll see they too don't try to build on the chassis.

Just a thought while you're waiting for spring.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KendaldaCosta » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:24 pm

tony.latham wrote:
It sounds as if you are planning on assembling your 'drop on the trailer chassis. That's the way I did my first build. I found that it's a pain to work around the fenders/tires and tongue.

As much as I'd love to be able to do this, I just don't have the space. I have nowhere to store the frame while I'm working on the cabin and my girlfriend doesn't like giving up her indoor parking (-20C remember) :lol: so that half of the garage is off limits for long term use.

I've been managing decently. Although, I did smash my knee on the old bumper of the frame last night.
Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Return to Build Journals