Kevin’s build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Kevin’s build

Postby kevin13 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Hey all. Since it’s cold out and I can’t be working on the teardrop as much. I decided to start sharing my build.

I am a graphic designer so I decided to design my own trailer, as I like things to be custom and a bit unique.
I have mainly been working on it weekends only.

The main things I wanted was - a place to sleep and a place for my dog so I do not have to kennel him.

Here is the template I designed.

I found a 5x8 trailer. But it was impossible to find a decent price one without any sides(utility)

So I had them cut off the gate for a few pennies off the price

Then Me and my dad cut off the rest - it still has plenty of support.

I ended up getting a bunch of free plywood from a business that was closing next to mine. Low and behold it was 3/4. :applause:

So I’m going the one inch wall route.

I used lap joints to seam the plywood together as my total size is about 9’6” x 4’6”. Got them cut to my outer shape.

I made my floor frame with 2x2s so I could get some insulation in the floor.

This is of course when it got exciting!
I got all of the inner shapes cut. Screwed the floor frame down. And then started framing with 2x3s

As I was getting the last of the studs in and adding the galley wall. My dog figured out what was going on :lol:

Below you can see the roof studs. It maybe a little over kill but it’s strong. I decided to add a large sunroof.
It was wired , 110, 12v & speaker. and you can also see the spot for my small pop up vent. Along with the interior skinning

here you can see my doggy door hole. Arf arf. And my ac dc unit that will be eventually covered by a cabinet door (pd4045kv)

Then with my fathers help I got the final outside layer of wood on. Walls 1/8 - 3/4 - 1/8. And the roof. Two layers of 1X8”

And this is the stage I’m at currently.

I will be using an alum or filon skin haven’t decided yet. And I will be adding an ac/heater to the tongue area.

Enjoy!Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Last edited by kevin13 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin13
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Kevin’s build

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:37 pm

A designer has to have a good design. :thumbsup: Very pleasing shape. I didn't see the flat spot on the door and thought to myself "This is going to be interesting" :thinking:

Are you done till warmer weather?

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Re: Kevin’s build

Postby kevin13 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:06 am

Yeah I’m done until it gets a bit warmer. 45ish and higher is okay. But right now it’s in the 20s :frightened:
kevin13
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals