Johnny's Custom

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Johnny's Custom

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Did you cut your door with a router and template?

T
tony.latham
Silver Donating Member

Postby mattsokj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:02 am

tony.latham wrote:Did you cut your door with a router and template?

T

I cut out the door from my wall template intending to use if for the door template, however I made it with rounded corners. I decided that bending aluminum trim around the tight radius of the door corners would be a challenge. Since the door template was already cut with rounded corners I couldn't use that. So instead, I squared up the corners in the door cut-out hole in the wall template and used that for my template to cut the doors. I used a 1/4" upcut bit and a guide bushing. The 1/4" gap should leave room for the trim.

I more or less used the technique from Scott's Workshop youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnaVmH79XWMSWVyaRsXLxng
mattsokj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:07 pm

mattsokj wrote:
tony.latham wrote:Did you cut your door with a router and template?

T

I cut out the door from my wall template intending to use if for the door template, however I made it with rounded corners. I decided that bending aluminum trim around the tight radius of the door corners would be a challenge. Since the door template was already cut with rounded corners I couldn't use that. So instead, I squared up the corners in the door cut-out hole in the wall template and used that for my template to cut the doors. I used a 1/4" upcut bit and a guide bushing. The 1/4" gap should leave room for the trim.

I more or less used the technique from Scott's Workshop youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnaVmH79XWMSWVyaRsXLxng

Thanks a bunch.

I’m building #4 In my brain right now. I’ve used commercial doors in the past so this will be a departure.

Tony
tony.latham
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals