Benroy for my baby

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Benroy for my baby

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:05 am

Here are some photos of how I joined the two pieces of plywood using my Domino. I created a pattern for the galley with quarter inch MDF and set it at a 36 in distance from the tip of my bandsaw blade and spun it on a screw which gave me a nice clean pattern. I then use that patterns for the galley and cut with a jigsaw then flush trimmed with a router. Next I cut some spaces for insulation and to lighten some of the weight from the plywood frame allowing for the galley( which I haven't decided on the final design), and the fender. I was waiting for my free refrigerator before I finalize the galley just to double check my measurements. After I was able to set a router with a bearing to cut the top for my spars. The router jig consists of an 1\8 in bit and a skateboard bearings. I was able to get one side exterior skin on and hopefully by the end of the weekend the second one.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Nice shop you have there. :thumbsup:
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:37 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:Nice shop you have there. :thumbsup:

We should all have a shop like this to use... :applause: :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:24 pm

I joined the two pieces of plywood using my Domino.

Whoa! I had to Google that up. I'd better find a place to sit down and watch your build. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Thanks for following along everyone! Teaching high school wood shop has its advantages, being able to use the whole shop alone.

I was able to get some work in today. According to Steve Frederick he says to use an 8-inch bit to cut out the groove for the spars. One of the issues with using an 8in bit is that the one home Depot sells is only 3/8 in height and so I would have to Route the back side then apply the outside skin then route inside until the piece came out hoping that i didn't glue it in place. This is a result of not having a full size template so I needed to apply the outside skin and flush trim before cutting out that piece. In hindsight, it would have been much easier to use a quarter inch spiral bits and then lay 1/8 inch spacer over the inside skin instead of using that short a 1\8" bit. To solve the problem of the bit not reaching through the material I had to use a putty knife and Hammer it through and then flush trim the rough edges again.

Once that was done I was able to put some insulation in one wall and add one inside skin and then the nervous part of cutting out the galley piece. Definitely the most scariest part of the build was using that jigsaw and following that line.

The lines aren't as clean as I like, I should have created another router template bearing with the with of the Galley Hatch. So those who have done the Steve frederick style galley after cutting out that piece to use sanded smooth or leave as-is so it sits at even spacing along the whole side?ImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:12 pm

clam,

for an 1/8" cut. Next time, sounds like a roto-zip tool might make the route easier.. using the 1/8" collet and a 1/8 in. Saber Cut Wood Bit. Can have a depth cut of 1" thick..

From experience, make multiple passes, setting the depth deeper with each pass with the roto-zip to get the depth required. It would (does) give a clean cut.. I have used this technic to make cut-outs in counter tops (plywood or HD particle board) for kitchen and vanity sinks.. where a jig saw or larger router base had no clearance between the route and the back splash..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Staryder61 wrote:clam,

for an 1/8" cut. Next time, sounds like a roto-zip tool might make the route easier.. using the 1/8" collet and a 1/8 in. Saber Cut Wood Bit. Can have a depth cut of 1" thick..

From experience, make multiple passes, setting the depth deeper with each pass with the roto-zip to get the depth required. It would (does) give a clean cut.. I have used this technic to make cut-outs in counter tops (plywood or HD particle board) for kitchen and vanity sinks.. where a jig saw or larger router base had no clearance between the route and the back splash..
Ya i was cutting 1\8" at a time but the but height was only 3\8". I didn't have a roto tool or a Dremel with a correct bit

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby daveesl77 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:10 am

Really, really nice work! I love the Benroy shape, you get the curves, but also get additional room. Fun following your build.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:40 pm

daveesl77 wrote:Really, really nice work! I love the Benroy shape, you get the curves, but also get additional room. Fun following your build.

dave
Thanks daveesl77! Glad to have you on this adventure!

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:18 pm

So those who have done the Steve frederick style galley after cutting out that piece to use sanded smooth or leave as-is so it sits at even spacing along the whole side?

I leave as is... you and I will be the only ones that see the meander.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Was able to work today on MLK Day.

First two shots are the grooves that use to run that wiring for the side light and the porch light before I apply the inside skin. I was able to finish the two walls outside skin, inside skin , and Galley cut-outs today.

I did try the other method of using a router bearings to cut the galley hatch, making a quarter inch groove for the jigsaws follow, then I flush trim that clean. It's something I do on a table saw when I am trying to resaw Wood so that the blade has a least path of resistance toward the center. I forgot to take a photo of the close up.

So I'm officially done with my walls, do you finish the interior walls or exterior before assembly or wait for spars to go in?

Also with PMF, do you need to seal the wood before applying the canvas or just on the raw wood?ImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:53 am

Looking really good there clam,,, moving right along... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

From what I've read here, some finish interior and exterior on the bench, others after walls and spars are up..
I don't fancy moving around inside TD on my knees or bottom.. :thinking:
So I plan on finishing the floor and the interior before I attach the walls.. and going to try the way aggie79 did his roof on the Silver Beetle.. ;)
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:57 pm

do you finish the interior walls or exterior before assembly or wait for spars to go in?

I think it's a no-brainer.

I have sheathed my three builds with .040 aluminum. Before sheathing, I coat with epoxy. I'm toying with another build and I'm considering sheathing with Monsterliner after fiberglassing. And I'll glass the walls before I put them up.

I also finish the ceiling before installing. Can't imagine doing this after it's installed.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:56 pm

Started assembling the frame on its side so i could picked hole the bottom. It was a direct result of skinning the exterior before assembling. Hindsight is always 20\20.. Have been busy lately so progress is slow. I also joined the inside roof skin with scrap 1\8th inch and put polyurethane before installing. I also made a mistake of not routing the dados for the galley before glueing the floor to the walls do i had to route the dados vertical. Finished the day today mounting the wall that separates the cabin and galley.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:50 pm

I like it, looks really good :thumbsup:

Wish I could hAve flipped mine on the side, would have made some things easier. :)
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals