Benroy for my baby

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Benroy for my baby

Postby clamlamp » Sun May 06, 2018 7:17 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I know I sound stupid but How do you know what amp fuses you need for each device? I went with 10amp for the lighting and vent fan, 15 for the fridge and 30 for solar charger.

You protect your circuit based on the size of the wire, not the anticipated load.

From Bluesea.com:

Generally, circuit protection devices are installed to protect the wiring from overheating during overloads or faults. The simplest approach for selecting a circuit protection device rating is to choose an amperage rating that is equal to or less than the current rating, ampacity of the wire. If the wire ampacity is significantly greater than the load current, as might be with small loads or with wiring of increased size to reduce voltage drop, then a range of circuit protection values between the load requirement and the wire ampacity may be acceptable. Larger ampacity values reduce the probability of nuisance failures and reduce fuse heating; smaller ampacity values provide more conservative protection for the wiring.

:thinking:

T
This was extremely helpful , thank you Tony

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Fri May 11, 2018 9:05 pm

Painted and mounted the fenders. Made a stencil where I wanted to drill the holes and used that to match the holes in the walls and fender. I mounted each fender with four 1\4 in lag bolts and four #10 ss screws. Drove it home to test the ride. Flipped the hitch receiver ball because it's tilting down with the new wheels.

Just curious how the trailer tilt affects towing? Anyone?ImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sat May 12, 2018 2:08 pm

A little nose down is actually preferred. If not level, but never nose up.

I think this has to do with vehicle dynamics under braking. As the TV nose dips under braking and its tail naturally rises, you don't want the force of the trailer to lift the rear of the TV and start pushing (or steering) the rear around. If the trailer starts out a tad nose down, when the TV rear comes up, the trailer will be pushing in a straight line, having the least impact on the driving experience. At least that is my theory on it.

To my eye your pictures look to be right on.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Beautiful little Benroy clam... :applause: :thumbsup:
Fenders turned out really nice.. Placement looks dead on..
Isn't that solar panel supposed to be outside? ;) just kidding ya.....

I agree with KC..

KCStudly wrote:A little nose down is actually preferred. If not level, but never nose up.

I think this has to do with vehicle dynamics under braking. As the TV nose dips under braking and its tail naturally rises, you don't want the force of the trailer to lift the rear of the TV and start pushing (or steering) the rear around. If the trailer starts out a tad nose down, when the TV rear comes up, the trailer will be pushing in a straight line, having the least impact on the driving experience. At least that is my theory on it.

To my eye your pictures look to be right on.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sun May 13, 2018 12:34 pm

217lb tongue weight. Is that too heavy? Sorry for the noob questions.

My outback has a 200lb tongue weight limit but the hitch has a 600lb limit. I have a Curt class 2 hitch.

Any help would be appreciated.Image

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Alice » Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Re tongue weight ...

I had a minivan with 350 lb tongue weight limit, I put a lift for my mother's scooter on it, total weight 400 lbs (plus weight was centered further back than the hitch). It drove horribly, lots of rear wagging, plus bottomed out if I didn't slow to a crawl over speed bumps. A trip to the tire shop and a beefed up suspension fixed things. Note the car was well out of warranty when I made the suspension changes.

I think your 17 lbs is little enough that you can deal with it by putting more heavy stuff in the galley. Perhaps that heavy wheel can be removed instead of just cranked up while towing. Are there heavy things in your tongue box you could move, at least when driving at highway speeds? Try an obstacle course including panic-type stops and swerves and then you'll know whether you are comfortable with the handling.
Alice
Titanium Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sun May 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Alice wrote:Re tongue weight ...

I think your 17 lbs is little enough that you can deal with it by putting more heavy stuff in the galley. Perhaps that heavy wheel can be removed instead of just cranked up while towing. Are there heavy things in your tongue box you could move, at least when driving at highway speeds? Try an obstacle course including panic-type stops and swerves and then you'll know whether you are comfortable with the handling.

I have a Rack'em wheel lock in the tongue box which is super heavy but if I have water and supplied in the galley it may reduce tongue weight, right now it's empty. So I think I might be in the clear. (hopefully)
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Sun May 13, 2018 4:39 pm

I have another issue... I rain tested the trailer this morning with a water hose and the stargazer window is leaking. I'm really upset because it's leaking from the glazing area and not around where I butyl taped it. So now I have to remove the glazing and reseal. Does anyone have any clue of what to use to reseal or have any experience with leaking stargazer windows?
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun May 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Take that little beast for a test drive. ;)

Somehow Subaru's attorneys and engineers mysteriously came up with a nail-on-the-head 200 pounds. Not 237 or 193. Six bits says some engineer was arguing for 350 and the legal department won out. I say test drive it. If it slumps, get a spring upgrade, I know eTrailer sells them for Soobs.

And yes, anything you load in the rear is going to help.

Tony

p.s. Can't help you on the window. If it were me, I'd take it down to my local glass company and ask for some advice. I'll betcha they'd be so enamored with the build that something positive would come from it.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Tue May 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Brought the trailer home to test drive and weather test. I also cut the foam gym mats and the memory foam mattress to fit. It was surprisingly comfortable and my daughter approved.

I took out the glazing and cleaned the glass and trim with acetone to remove the old silicone. The part that was leaking basically popped off and had very little silicone sealant. I purchased PL polyurethane sealant for roofs from Home Depot because it bonds to aluminum pain I'm sure glass also it's black so I'm giving that a try. I started this morning to put it on but it's going to take a few days to cure. I'm sorry I didn't take any photos of the steps because it was 6 a.m. when I did it. I'm having an issue with the glazing and it not fitting back the way it was tightly. Hopefully there is enough sealant to not matter.

I also started on the opposite side cabinets. In hindsight I should have designed this and built it much earlier because it's hard to fit the cabinet after the door frame and trim is installed.

Also, I flipped my hitch receiver and the ball and it looks like the trailer is a bit more level. I definitely noticed the difference in the drive and it felt a lot smoother accelerating and braking.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 17, 2018 5:59 am

Looking excellent! :thumbsup: :applause:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Thu May 17, 2018 7:48 pm

This is the stuff I used to reseal my window. So far so good. It's been 2 days and no leaks with that sealant.

I used some donated quarter sawn mahogany for my drawer fronts. Now I just need to make the drawer pulls.

I was also able to work on the inside cabinet face frame and electric panel. Minor details but closer to finish.

More importantly, I booked my maiden voyage in two weeks! Two nights at Jalama Beach for surf fishing and relaxing!ImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Fri May 18, 2018 5:29 am

First class. I love the simple (I really mean uncluttered), yet rich look you have achieved. Quality materials look great. Everything works with each other in a nice theme. :thumbsup: :applause:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ottsville » Fri May 18, 2018 5:55 am

I haven't looked all through your thread yet, but the finished product is beautiful!
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:26 am

Glad the sealant is working for you.. :D
The galley looks great,, as well as the interior.. :thumbsup:
Sure hope you enjoy the maiden voyage and everything works out as planned..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals