Benroy for my baby

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Benroy for my baby

Postby S. Heisley » Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 pm

:thumbsup: Good Job! Enjoy your outing. Love Jalama but haven't been there in years. (If it's the one in N. CA.) Does it still have all the hippies living in the back campground area? It looked like something out of the '60's. They were nice people and kept to themselves but were willing to help if you needed it. ...Nice. It used to be a hidden campground that nobody knew about. Now, you have to reserve a site? Wow!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby clamlamp » Sun May 20, 2018 9:15 am

S. Heisley wrote: Good Job! Enjoy your outing. Love Jalama but haven't been there in years. (If it's the one in N. CA.) Does it still have all the hippies living in the back campground area? It looked like something out of the '60's. They were nice people and kept to themselves but were willing to help if you needed it. ...Nice. It used to be a hidden campground that nobody knew about. Now, you have to reserve a site? Wow!
Thank you all! I could have never done this correctly without all of your support!

Apparently, jalama beach is always busy in the summer. I have never been there but my friend recommended it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Wed May 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Here is a close-up of the quarter-sawn mahogany. Also I was able to install my drawer pulls and created a simple way of locking the refrigerator slide by using some twist knobs I had lying around.

I too have two questions for you all, first question is do you all lock your drawers from moving around?

Second, I have a window and the front of my trailer and thinking of putting a rock guard does anyone have experience not using a rock guard and not having any issues. I know better safe than sorry but just curious.ImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:18 pm

clam,
for years I've used a simple inexpensive cabinet door catch. And same catch on the drawers: very easy to install.
These are the same ones I used on my tear doors and drawers. They work great for me..
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Brainerd-Silver-Cabinet-Catch/50426686
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed May 23, 2018 10:32 pm

...first question is do you all lock your drawers from moving around?

Yes. I have vertical pins with knobs that lock my two drawers. The stove uses a barrel latch to lock it in place.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu May 24, 2018 7:41 pm

I only have one drawer; but,yes. If you don't pin them in place some way, they will eventually fly out and scrape on whatever is in front of them. Nearly all RV's seem to have this problem with doors and drawers.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 pm

clam, be sure to let us know how the maiden voyage to jalama beach turned out.. :D
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Went to get it weighed. Turns out the drop weight is more than expected... 1440 lbs with the fridge but no water. My tow capacity is 2700, should I be concerned? I read that we should not exceed half of the max tow capacity somewhere... Any thoughts?

On the positive side, I took it in the freeway for the first time and there is no swaying.Image

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Graniterich » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:46 pm

Towing capacity are lower in the US for the same car world wide. You should have no worries

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:04 pm

...Any thoughts?

Yeah. Go camping. You'll be fine. ;)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Billinthedesert » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Wow, what a build! Seeing someone with great skill and proper tools accomplish this has been an education. Thanks for putting all the time and effort into documenting your project, Clam.
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Advisor

Postby clamlamp » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Billinthedesert wrote:Wow, what a build! Seeing someone with great skill and proper tools accomplish this has been an education. Thanks for putting all the time and effort into documenting your project, Clam.
Thank you Bill! I figured the only way I could repay all the help I was receiving was to try to be as detailed as possible for someone else. I couldn't have done it without this forum!

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 pm

clamlamp wrote:Went to get it weighed. Turns out the drop weight is more than expected... 1440 lbs with the fridge but no water. My tow capacity is 2700, should I be concerned? I read that we should not exceed half of the max tow capacity somewhere... Any thoughts?

On the positive side, I took it in the freeway for the first time and there is no swaying.Image

Many states (including California) have a requirement that the trailer weigh no more than 1500 lbs; but, at 1440, you appear to be legal and it's already licensed, good to go. Check your tow vehicle's tow limits in its user manual's tow section (or from a respected, authoritative source on the Internet) and check your tow vehicle's stopping capacity for trailers without brakes, in the brakes section. Those three things should give you a pretty complete answer to your question. Oh, and water weighs around 9 lbs per gallon. Enjoy your camping experiences.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:44 am

Technically, water weighs 8.34 lbs/US gal at 62 deg F, just in case anyone wants to really sharpen their pencil.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Hello all!
My maiden voyage was successful! It's was a 3.5hr trip each way and my white knuckles eased up after the second hour driving. I was able to get 22 mpg during the trip which is much better than I expected.

I learned a lot from this trip on how to improve the teardrop. There wasn't condensation the first night but I closed the vent half way and the sending night developed some. The cabin was warm and cozy but I need some table space. Although kind of irrelevant but a small mirror would have helped in the galley to put on my contacts. Also my site was very flat but some leveling blocks could have helped. The kelty tent I got that replaced the REI alcove is to short as well.

The 100 watt panel was plenty to power the fridge. It dropped to about 12.3 volts by morning but once the sun came out I had full power by lunch.

The best part was just being out there. The trailer was a conversation piece for many passerbys and I got many compliments on it but many more compliments when they found out that I built it. I also got some great fishing in and topped it with great conversation over 18 year old scotch.

I'm already planning my next camping trips for the summer! Time to spend some hours in the cooking recipes sections.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals