Skinning pt. 1

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Skinning pt. 1

Postby Jados » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:45 am

So after looking around and reading everything I could on skins to use and how to install it I finally took the leap and started to skin my teardrop! I ordered two sheets of white 5mm UV resistant frp from a local building supply store. (Incase anyone is interested I paid $50 a sheet) I also bought some gorilla glue exterior high strength multipurpose glue ($4 each).
I then sanded the whole side wall and wiped off any dust with a rag, I then applied the glue covering the whole wall. My wife and I lifted the panel into place careful not to touch the glue until it was in place. Once we got it situated I stapled the first corner and started to push the panel to the wall, working from rear to front and stapling as I went. I used a router with a bearing tipped cutter I cut the front and rear curves, then from the inside I drilled a hole big enough for the router bit and using the router on the outside I cut the door out. I’ll probably be up doing the same on the other side.

I still need to ores the frp for the roof and order the trim, but here’s some pictures of my progress so far.

ImageImage
Jados
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Skinning pt. 1

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:43 pm

Very nice! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

I'd like to hear a little more about your 5mm FRP. Do you have a link?
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Jados » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:37 pm

aggie79 wrote:Very nice! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

I'd like to hear a little more about your 5mm FRP. Do you have a link?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-x-8-ft ... /100389836

It’s this panel except I put the textured side facing the plywood so I could get that cleaner, smoother look.
Jados
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jados » Tue May 08, 2018 9:02 am

Make sure that if you use frp that it’s warm when you put it on!!! I just looked at mine after the warmup here in the up and it bubbled on both sides!
Jados
Teardrop Inspector

Postby crpngdth2001 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:04 pm

Is that the exact FRP you used in the link? It appears to be ‘interior use’, aka non-uv resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crpngdth2001
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Build Journals