O.D.D. Version 1.0 An off-road teardrop build.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: O.D.D. Version 1.0 An off-road teardrop build.

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:07 am

tony.latham wrote:Superb. :thumbsup:

We've got a removable shelf (that hasn't moved in years) like your slider and we tend to put all sorts of stuff on it at night.

How are you going to lock that shelf in place? My wheels are turning for the next build.

:thinking:

Tony

Sorry Tony I didn't see this post. The slides I used are for a under desk mount keyboard. So it has detents to hold it in and out. It should be fine in the holding it in the open position but we'll see how it does in bouncing down washboards keeping it closed. :thinking: The pin idea would a good back up plan.

I hope to get some updated pictures soon. Been making some progress.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:15 am

Aha...

They'll probably do great without some other system. I use pins with turned knobs to hold my galley drawers in place. Crossbolts for the stove and cooler slider.

Great seeing such superb craftsmanship.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:45 pm

Finally getting around to putting up some pictures. This is more of a photo dump.

Starting on the frame.

Measuring that everything is where it should be. I kinda surprised my self how everything was 1/16th inch or less.

When you work by yourself you need to find helpers.

The table I built has really come in handy. My knees can't handle working on the ground anymore.

This is what has slowed me down, hard to get home after work and work in this heat. This is in the garage at around 7:30 pm.
Our 10 day doesn't have any days in the 100's :worship:

install stabilizer jacks. i put mounts on the front if I want to add some up there, and I am thinking about doing it.

I must have missed taking some photos. :lol:

Where the fenders mount.

I'll do another post on how I used the Jeep wheels. These are not the same as I have on our Jeep. I picked up four of these with some tread left on the tires.
Probably 10,000 miles or so pulling a trailer. For $100. The best I could find on just the wheels that I have on the Jeep were $150 each rim. Plus tires.
These will work till I figure out what I'm going to do on the Jeep with new wheels and lift. Not in a big hurry to spend that money.
I might paint these gray or black later.

The frame is ready for degreasing and metal prep before POR15 Rust Preventive paint.

This weekend it was my goal to have all the welding done on the frame. I was doing good and at 11:45 I ran out of C25 gas. The regulator was still showing about 300PSI. :cry:
Welding store closes at 12:00. :x So plan B was to get a coat or two of paint on because we have the remains of hurricane Rosa coming this way Monday and Tuesday,
they are already posting flash flood warnings starting Monday. I cleaned up the frame with wire cup on the grinder and did the paint prep.
Sunday Morning I got the first coat of POR 15. Around noon I checked the hourly forecast and it didn't show rain till 2am. Great I'm going to do the second coat and the
humidity was going up a bit and that will speed drying the paint. Get outside and to the west it looks like rain. Check the radar and sure enough rain about 15 miles away
and heading my way. No second coat. Now I'll have to sand the first coat. :(

Hard to tell but I didn't paint where I still have to weld.

Most of that rain missed up but we did get a small dust storm out of it.

I also got the gas struts mounted. That was a bit harder that I would have liked. Had to do a couple of tries. But got it where it worked. It's funny the same struts
mounted in different spots will make the difference it they work or not.

I made the brackets out of some 2X3X1/8" tube. You can see in this photo the force is bending the bracket. I'm going to see if I have some 3/16" or 1/4" angle and make some new ones.
But these will work for now. They are 100# struts.

Thats it for now.
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:15 am

I cleaned up the frame with wire cup on the grinder and did the paint prep.

How'd you do the prep? I find degreasing steel to be a pain.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:51 am

tony.latham wrote:
I cleaned up the frame with wire cup on the grinder and did the paint prep.

How'd you do the prep? I find degreasing steel to be a pain.

Tony

I used the POR 15 line.

I use the cleaner degreaser in a spray bottle 2.1 or 3.1 with water so when I bring home steel I clean off the mill scale right away. That way I'm always working with fairly clean metal. Sure beats using a solvent based to clean with.

It is weird that you take all the time to clean with a wire cup then spray on the degreaser and hose off with water. Let dry and spray on the metal prep, comes in a bottle with a spray cap. Your supposed to leave it on wet for 30 minutes, but that was hard when its 95 degrees. Then hose that off. And let that dry before paint. I ended up getting surface rust and it leaves a zinc phosphate coating behind which just does not seem right. But the paint goes on easy. My brother uses the stuff at his work and says how good it is and they don't do all the prep. POR stands for Paint Over Rust. It is pricy but figured I'd give it a try.

The other thing it does not have UV additives so it needs a topcoat of paint for areas the will get full sun. POR makes a topcoat and it alone would have probably been good enough in the dry desert where I live. I have some Raptor liner left over and will probably use that on the parts that get sun.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:47 pm

:thumbsup:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DaddyJeep » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:46 am

I think the metal prep is designed to create rust because the product is designed to adhere to rust. I have found that without all this prep it does not stick to clean metal at all. Also, you do plan on top coating the POR 15 as well, right. It is not UV stable.

The trailer came out great.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:52 pm

DaddyJeep wrote:I think the metal prep is designed to create rust because the product is designed to adhere to rust. I have found that without all this prep it does not stick to clean metal at all. Also, you do plan on top coating the POR 15 as well, right. It is not UV stable.

The trailer came out great.

I am planning on top coating it with something just not sure with what yet. I'm leaning toward Bedliner now but just might use the POR topcoat.

I'm at a stand still now as I try to figure out mounts for a water tank, and find a water tank that fits the space I have. I checked the price on a custom made one today and am waiting on a quote. But is is going to be way out out there. Probably in the $400+ range.

I hope to know by the weekend so I can keep moving.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:53 pm

Okay it's been awhile since the last post. I have been struggling with the place to store water. This is what I came up with. The piece on aluminum will act as a skid plate and the water tank will sit on top of that. I have room for a 6" deep tank. If I can find one the full size it will be in the 30 gallon range. The custom built one is out, I was told over $400 just in labor and materials. :shock: I told the guy to not bother with a quote. So I'm going to keep shopping around. Or plan B is to buy a spool gun for my welder and the skid plate becomes the bottom of an all aluminum tank.

On a Tribren axle there is the option to use a 2X2X1/4 square tube that ties the two axles together, acts like a sway bar. I cut and offset the piece down and the aluminum is attached to that with 3/8" bolts taped in the tube. The back is the same idea.

I got all the sunlight exposed metal that was painted with POR 15 two coats of Raptor Liner. Since the POR is not UV stable it needs to be covered with something. The parts that will not get sunlight will just stay with the POR. Also got started on the trailer wiring. Got a little protection for the tail lights. I ran some of the wires in the frame tubing where I could and what I couldn't in plastic loom. Living in the desert we have lots of critters that like to chewed on wires. We had to sell out Jetta because of it, VW uses palm oil in the insolation covering the wires. Had to get the car towed three times because it wouldn't start.

I got that wiring buttoned up and the frame is all ready to get the cabin put back on for the last time. I hope. :worship:

I Just noticed I missed posting a few updates. I'll see if later this week I can find those pictures and get those up. Next will be to get the cabin on the frame and the fenders on, then work on the tongue box. All the electric starts or ends in the tongue box. I am thinking I could just put a four pin trailer wire connector on temporally and take it to get plates. :thinking:

We are getting the itch to get a camp trip in soon. :worship:

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:36 pm

It's been too long since I posted any progress. I have been working away trying to get ready to get a trip in over New Years but that isn't going to happen. I had another setback with a neck/shoulder injury. But on the good side I got some time to find some missing photos and update the build. Also having time to do research into things like batteries, solar, water pumps.

Let's get started.

This goes back to the spring. Putting the skins on.

Marking the for the rough cut.

Rough cutting with electric shears.

I used contact cement, I know some people say don't. So far so good.

This was one of the worse job on the whole build. The hot little flying pieces of aluminum really hurt. Yes PPE would have helped. :lol: They were everywhere I would track them Into the house on my shoes, even in my hair. Wife was not happy :oops:

Hatch is built and putting in the electric.

Testing lighting before putting the outer piece of plywood on the hatch.

The original plan was to paint with auto paint, and I needed to do an acid etch primer the aluminum, but I decided to use Raptor Liner instead. And it still needed to acid etch primer.

I was going to spray outside, it has been over 200 days since we had measurable rain and this day we get rain. :cry: I put up a tarp and sprayed anyways.

I was able to get two coats on of each color in one day
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=4766&image_id=156928

The next step was to get the hatch finished and spray the Berliner on. At this point I started to build the frame but those pictures I have already posted a few messages back.

I was far enough on the frame that I had to put the cabin on and see if I made any mistakes on my measuring. And I was happy everything was within tolerances.

Had to pull the Jeep up and see how it looked. So far so good.

So the next step is to take the cabin back off the frame and finish building the frame and paint it. Then the cabin will go on for the last time, I hope. :worship: The last two photos have the fenders on, not sure if I am real happy the way they turned out. My plans were to run the same tires and wheels on the Jeep and trailer but I couldn't find the Rubicon wheel for a good price. The Wrangler wheels are a dime a dozen. I built the fenders for 12.5" wide tires and the ones I have now are 10" wide. My plans were to go with a 35X12.5, but I am having second thoughts now if I need everything to be the same. I'm just going to run what I have for now. If it really bugs me I can put some wheel adopters on to move the wheels out 1.5-2".

More to come.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:07 pm

One of the reasons I used RaptorLiner is it can be sprayed with a HVLP spray gun and get a finer texture than using the undercoating spray gun or brush or roller. It is real easy to spray and looks good. Here are a few close up pictures. The blue is a 80 grit sanding disk.

One thing I learned was the paint store I went to to get the orange pigment said that to use the Jeep color code would be very expensive because it was a pearl coat paint and if I used chips to match the color it would be a lot cheaper. I went that way and had my wife pick the color since I can be color blind with some colors. The match was real close. But I went to another paint store and they said you wouldn't add the pearl, they would just do the pigment and depending on how much pearl was left out a few drops of white can be added. I wish I would have known that at the start.

Here is how I got the cabin from the dolly I built it on to the frame. With the stabilizer jacks I have I can get the frame low to the ground. I put the frame a little lower than the dolly with a piece of 3/4" pipe. And used a floor jack to put another piece of pipe under the cabin. Then just pushed, once the cabin was over the pipe on the frame I raised the frame then kept rolling, I would stop and add new or reposition the pipes. My wife had a small wood shim she would put on the frame if things started moving too fast.

It took about 15-20 minutes. I had the screw holes already drilled from the first time I have the cabin on the frame. Just needed to line those up and drop in the carriage bolts in.

Then I just raise the jacks to put the tires on.

I think I have a few more pictures to get caught up to when I am now which is working on the tongue box. Once the box is done I can take it to get inspected for plates.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby FM82 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:48 am

Wow! Lots of progress. You were really holding out on us. Looks great, man. I'm really liking the craftsmanship of the galley hatch. I agree with you about the fenders. Since they can be easily swapped out, maybe go at it again, but change up the angles? Just imagining a limb, or something similar getting thrown up and getting wedged in between the tire and fender.

Can you give some details on your roof edging? I'm torn between the vinyl insert style, or the one without. I prefer the look of the trim without the vinyl insert like you have used, but I'm not sure how well the rivets will hold water out over time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I have no idea what I'm doing.
FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:12 am

What a fine looking 'drop!

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:07 pm

Looks good Todd!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby GeekFisher » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:45 pm

Awesome work ! Love the liner finish as well ! :)
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals