Keep it simple stupid

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Keep it simple stupid

Postby billyjack1970 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Thought It would be a good idea to start documenting my first build. At least post some pictures of the process.
My plan is to use the “kiss” method throughout the build, not sure how that’s going to workout but we shall see..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
billyjack1970
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Keep it simple stupid

Postby billyjack1970 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:07 pm

So I started out with a 4x8 HF trailer with the usual modifications.. ‘this is where I am at the moment..ImageImage

billyjack1970
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:03 pm

billyjack1970 wrote:Thought It would be a good idea to start documenting my first build. At least post some pictures of the process.
My plan is to use the “kiss” method throughout the build, not sure how that’s going to workout but we shall see....
  • I planned to keep it simple, too, but it grew out of hand before too long. I was so busy at work, and my build area was 50 miles away from home, that I never had much time to work on it (it was in a friend's shop, far from home, and my wife's view; I spent most of my free time working on his projects, and hiding my trailer parts inventory from the wife, so little time was actually spent on the trailer, or on any detailed plan of attack, much less on an orderly "build journal" format. I mostly asked questions of the forum members, threw my wild ideas around, and by the next weekend I had lost track of my original train of thought, and was eager to try my latest strategy. Over a very short time, perhaps less than six weeks, I grew very frustrated in not being able to immediately pursue my new/improved ideas, or at least be able to check out their feasibility, since my trailer was nowhere near my home. Once, I left work to drive the 110 miles to the shop (110 miles from work, 50 miles from my home), only to be called back to work after only an hour on my project (I was on call 24/7/365). Frustration....
  • I built the extended frame for making my small trailer into a larger 4x8, and the bigger wheels, hubs, bearings, fenders, etc. that were congruent with that basic size/shape of frame. Then the finished floor was logically next to come, to be followed by the walls, like yours has, before the inside bulkhead, or front wall were to be constructed. But, working at my friend's shop, in the extra space he allotted my trailer, I didn't have space enough to layout my walls for cutting out the doors, and angling the front slope of the roof - and no sawhorses were available that weekend (they were being used on another project), so the front wall went on first. That's when I came up with my escape plan. I followed with the inside rear wall/bulkhead (which was an easy straight cut, done on a tailgate). Then illogically, the walls, roof, and hatch (basically sealing me out from easy access to the interior, precluding good working conditions for interior work), and doors at the last. The only missing ingredient was any interior or galley work, save for the assembled generator on a swivel/slide-out mounted base, a couple of vents, and the routed framework for the doors (done on a malicious router that tried to decapitate me, twice). Then the paint, and the locking hardware on the exterior, making it road-worthy, to travel home, sealed and lockable. At that point, I announced to my friend, that I was taking it home to fit-out, and finish the interior During the time in his shop, I had simultaneously cleaned/cleared my 3-bay garage, which was 1/4 the size of his (freeing up one bay for my trailer). Though I would be cramped working there (and with no heat nor A/C, stereo, or TV as was in his shop), at least I would be able to work on it at will, day or night, and also in the same spot and condition -my stuff was always liable to be moved in my absence-. Even with the advantage of constant/instant accessibility, I still missed his expertise, and another hand, and his power tools! And him. And it still took me another year to finish it at home, by myself.
  • Though I had worked on his projects at least twice, or thrice, the time spent on my trailer, and was still returning to his shop to help frequently (following that 11.5 month period of separation from my trailer), my withdrawal from there strained our friendship, despite my best efforts to maintain it (even promising to re-join his/our racing team). After a 15-year friendship, it was gone. But I have my trailer, for what it is worth, and a new set of friends, who I seldom have found time to be with...maybe soon. My lesson from this was to keep your plans simple, follow a logical build sequence, and to keep your friends close (if not your trailer, too).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kingston » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:42 pm

Brilliant :thumbsup: start.
Use your first build as a learning experience, although your first build only stops when you decide.
remember to measure twice then cut, its saved me a few times so far.
keep up the good work chap
Kingston
Teardrop Inspector

Postby billyjack1970 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Got the fan framed in and most of my spars on this week.
Next I need to finish the back hatch , ( not sure if you can really call it a hatch) then put luan on the inside..

billyjack1970
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals