FloridaWild's build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

FloridaWild's build

Postby FloridaWild » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi all. After 8 months or so of sifting through this site and YT videos, I've started my build. I haven't settled on exactly every detail of the build, so it will probably be a design as I go project. I'm leaning towards a Runaway type design, as I like the look of those campers. I purchased the NT 5x8 trailer and have already assembled it. Yesterday, I began assembling the floor. I decided I was going to make my own 1x2's ripped from 2x4's, in an attempt to get the straightest wood possible. After a lot of ripping on the table saw, my conclusion is, there is no such thing as straight wood. :roll: i assembled the framework and used 5mm underlayment. I am impressed with the look of this wood and may use it through out the build. :thumbsup: the 13.98 price tag is appealing too! :D Used 3/4" foam insulation. You guys worried me enough about condensation issues, that I ditched the idea of just a 3/4 plywood floor. So, the entire camper will be insulated. :twisted:
As the saying goes, pics or it didn't happen.
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg (775.2 KiB) Viewed 3954 times

IMG_0050.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg (814.8 KiB) Viewed 3954 times

IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0054.jpg (720.51 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Re: FloridaWild's build

Postby FloridaWild » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:12 pm

After getting half the floor glued together, I ran out of the PL Premium adhesive, I was using. Doesn't seem like a tube of this stuff, goes very far. :thinking: Home Depot was already closed, so no way to get any more last night. I was worried about the floor twisting on me or something crazy, so I put temporary screws in the other half of the floor, until I can get back to it, this weekend.
IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0054.jpg (720.51 KiB) Viewed 3949 times

IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0057.jpg (584.88 KiB) Viewed 3949 times

IMG_0059.jpg
IMG_0059.jpg (548.83 KiB) Viewed 3949 times
FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:36 pm

That's a good start. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby FloridaWild » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:01 pm

I believe I read somewhere here that Titebond glue will not stick to Bondo? Anyone have any info on that? If so, I can return an unopened container of Bondo and get something else.
FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:56 pm

After getting half the floor glued together, I ran out of the PL Premium adhesive, I was using. Doesn't seem like a tube of this stuff, goes very far....

It's a lot cheaper if you buy the big tubes. I know they are a bit ungainly.

And don't buy the cheapest gun...

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby FloridaWild » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:09 am

tony.latham wrote:
After getting half the floor glued together, I ran out of the PL Premium adhesive, I was using. Doesn't seem like a tube of this stuff, goes very far....

It's a lot cheaper if you buy the big tubes. I know they are a bit ungainly.

And don't buy the cheapest gun...

Tony

Thanks Tony. I just used a caulk gun I’ve had laying around for years. I’ll look for the bigger tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FloridaWild » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Finished insulating and skinning the floor today. I also installed the 1/4” furring strips, that will sit on the frame cross members. I then, squared the floor to the frame and clamped it. I used a rubber mallet to tamp the floor over the frame bolts, to mark their location. I flipped the floor and used a 7/8” Forstner bit to drill pockets for the frame bolt heads to rest in. Flipped the floor again and positioned and clamped it. Crawled underneath the trailer and marked bolt hole locations. Rain was coming, so I called it a day. Tomorrow, I’ll begin coating the bottom of the floor with roof and foundation coating. Here’s some pics from today.

FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dsotto » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:32 am

Nice! I'm struggling to even have the motivation to finish putting the NT trailer together. It's not my favorite thing I've ever done.
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FloridaWild » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:48 am

Yesterday, I made a run to HD, to get some caulk. I wanted to caulk around the furring strips, to make sure no water can get in between the wood. I picked up some PL paintable caulk. No information on dry time was on the label. I caulked around every seam and even the sides of the floor. I also spackled all the nail holes. Didn’t take long to realize, this caulk wasn’t going to dry anytime soon. I googled it and found that it can take up to a week to fully cure. Oh, well, I’ve experienced, the slower something dries, the better it is. So, I’ll wait. In the meantime, I mixed up a batch of “the mix” and put a coat over the wood. Will put the foundation coating on after everything dries good.

FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FloridaWild » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:34 pm

This weekend, I spent applying the roof and foundation coating. More like tar, but actually does dry, just not very fast. If doing it again, I would probably just have spent extra and used bedliner coating or automotive under coating. The floor is now bolted down and I applied two coats of “the mix” to the topside floor. First coat at 50/50 ratio and the second at 75/25. I will eventually do one more coat at full strength. I’m using Helmsman exterior spar urethane. Even though it’s the inside of the camper and will get carpeted, I wanted the floor sealed, just for added protection. Hopefully, this camper will stand the test of time.

FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FloridaWild » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:18 pm

If anyone is interested, I'm video documenting this build. Here are the first two installments, from YT.

FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FloridaWild » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Scale model of what my teardrop camper will look like. Kayak roof rack, roof vent fan, A/C, 120v and 12V wiring, with battery and electrical run through the tongue box. Not seen is the chuck box, that will be mounted on a receiver hitch on the back. This will be my kitchen and distribute weight evenly. To further even the weight, my cooler and gear will be strapped inside the camper to D-rings, mounted over the axle. Disregard the interior colors. I was just using some camo colors I had on hand. I will be carpeting the floor and everything else will be stained and polyurethane.Should be a nice little adventure camper, when it’s done.Image
ImageImageImage

FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FloridaWild » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:13 pm

Here’s the interior

FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FloridaWild » Sun May 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Ok, finally on to wall construction. Bought my windows a few weeks ago and yesterday, picked up some wood. I bought a sheet of hardboard, to make a template. Also picked up a 10 foot piece of quarter round, to shape the curve of the roof. I used this method a couple years ago, when I constructed a tarp with caterenary curves, for hammock camping. It works well and I don’t have to do math. I sandwiched the two exterior walls together with clamps and traced my template onto them. As soon as I was done, I labeled inside, outside, front and rear on both pieces, to avoid confusion later. I have two mirror image walls. Today I marked all the framework for the passenger side wall. The pain in the butt part, was making pieces for the curved roof. I have every saw known to man, EXCEPT a band saw. Started with a jig saw and that didn’t go well, then just decided to use the skill saw and do short cuts along the curve to shape. Also cut out the notches that the roof spars will rest in. Decided to quit, before the rain comes.ImageImageImageImageImage

FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FloridaWild » Wed May 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Well, I’ve been dodging rain for the last few weeks. I’m on vacation this week and it’s been raining a lot here. I have managed to get quite a bit done, though. The walls are framed and I decided to attach them to the trailer. I originally intended to canvas(pmf) the walls on the ground, but changed my mind. Today, I attached all the roof spars and roughed in the opening for the roof vent. I know my Build looks a little overkill, but I’d like to do some boondocking and I may have to navigate some bumpy dirt roads. Besides, I felt I could afford a little beefier build, as I’m not doing the galley kitchen, normally done on teardrops. I think I will still be under my 800 lb. goal. I borrowed a 13” trailer tire from a friend and it fits perfect, so I will also be upgrading those too.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

FloridaWild
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals