Tom & Shelly's build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Tom & Shelly's build

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:35 pm

We somehow managed to buy 11 of the 4 inch rollers, or something like that. Think we may have misunderstood how many came in the kit. So we'll use those.

Shelly is working on scheduling classes for the kiddos for next year, at home, while I vacuum and dust the garage and finish a little touch up epoxying, so we haven't started prepping or priming yet. Looks like we'll have some time to do it before the world becomes normal again.

In between coats, I'll likely start cutting firewood for next year. That's about all we're still allowed to do here in New Mexico, since it's on my land and I work alone. Groups of 5 or more are now outlawed and folks are encouraged to go outside only for exercise or to get essential groceries.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:57 am

I Thought about getting 9 or 10, 4" ones as well and doubling them 8" may help.
I will ask at least when ordering and share the answer about the 9" ones somewhere,
as fast as I change my mind I may spray it :shrug: She changed my mind on color.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm

I finally cleaned out the shop well enough to paint! So this morning Shelly scuffed the black epoxy with a Scotch pad, and then applied the first coat of gloss black enamel trim to the galley edges and hatch (no priming this part--hope that works!):

161420 161419

She plans on applying the 2nd coat tomorrow. Then we plan on prepping and priming the rest of the exterior with Rustoleum Marine primer, and then we'll Monstaline!

Since Shelly is the painter on this project, we were originally planning on doing all of the painting next week, during Spring break. But it looks like we may have a little more time than originally expected.

Because of the extended break, I figured I had time to do a little more thorough cleaning, so even sorted through our half-used sand paper drawer. I call this picture "Worst Case Scenario", but I'll let the reader decide what that might mean...

Tom :shock:
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby twisted lines » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:18 pm

If I am the reader, Id be all over that stack, I just emptied out a draw and need more room in the paper one I have :?

Have fun and get it done!
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:31 pm

Finished our prep work yesterday, so today we taped and Shelly rolled on the first coat of primer (Rustoleum Marine)

161475 161472 161474

We did the hatch and a shelf for the utility room at the same time

Tomorrow we plan to sand and apply a 2nd coat.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby tony.latham » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:43 pm

and Shelly rolled on the first coat of primer

She sure looks different in white!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:23 pm

tony.latham wrote:
and Shelly rolled on the first coat of primer

She sure looks different in white!

Tony

So does the teardrop! :wakka wakka:

Found out Shelly has to pack up some of her school's Chrome Books tomorrow, to distribute to the kids for distance learning for the rest of the year, so the second coat is delayed by a day. I could sand the first coat by myself, but it's so much more fun watching her do it! :lol:

We are clearing a pad for a metal garage, so I think I'll take a break and relax by cutting down some trees and making firewood.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Cabin Fever

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:09 pm

Think we finally decided on a name for our teardrop: Cabin Fever.

Could mean several things these days!

We sanded between coats, wiped the teardrop down two days ago, and put on a second coat of primer yesterday. Shelly sanded today (while I cut down a few trees that were in the wrong place at the wrong time--in this case growing where we want a garage). We'll let the dust settle today and wipe the teardrop down again tomorrow. Getting close to Monstalining!

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:58 am

Think we finally decided on a name for our teardrop: Cabin Fever.

An appropriate name for these trying times. I've settled on Burning Woman for our new box. I keep eyeing the snow up the creek and the forecasts... waiting to sneak away and boonie (which is still legal here.) It hasn't hit 60º yet.

I can't wait to see what Cabin Fever looks like wearing her final color.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:31 pm

Half time!

Shelly put the first coat of Monstaliner on this morning, starting at 10, finishing around 1. We'll start the second coat this afternoon around 3 or 4. Used about half a cup less than a gallon, and 5 rollers, so we have a gallon and 6 rollers left--should be more than enough!

161548 161546

161545 161549

Over-all, we're liking it so far. It seems to be hiding the imperfections from the epoxy job that we wanted to hide. Shelly started with the hatch, and I'm afraid there are some heavy lines, etc. as she gained experience, but we're hopeful the 2nd coat will fix some of it. (Actually, most of the problems are hard to see in the picture.)

One area we were concerned about was right behind the spare tire carrier, where we have less than an inch of clearance. The solution was to cut thin strips from the foam block we bought from Monstaliner and glue the strips to some of Shelly's big pop-sickle sticks.

We did that last night (one with 5 minute epoxy, two with wood glue) and first thing this morning Shelly blotted behind the carrier. Can't tell the difference now. I'll try to remember to get a close-up after the 2nd coat dries.

Incidentally, we reviewed what we have and what we needed for this project Sunday afternoon, and realized we should go out and buy that red bucket, a can of MEK or acetone, a fan, and a few glass measuring cups. the hardware stores are open here, but the new rules say only so many are allowed in at a time, and home-made masks are encouraged. To top it off, the local True-Value is converting to an Ace, half of the shelves are gone, and all of the products are no longer in their familiar places. I found the bucket, fan, and measuring cups, but they were out of acetone (many home projects going on these days with folks stuck in their houses) and the paint guy had never heard of MEK.

A lady in a bandanna rang up my purchases, and then pushed the bucket with the two glass measuring cups right off of the counter, where I, in the mask Shelly made me and my, partly steamed up, glasses, missed the save. (Evidently, Ace counters aren't as wide as True Value counters.) Broke one cup and left glass shards embedded in the bucket. So when I got home, we ran the bucket through the dishwasher.

Figured we had to have the acetone, so I drove into town only to find folks social distancing in a line stretching around the block at Home Depot. So I went home (buying gas at 1980's prices) mulled over the problem, until I realized that we can now email in an order and pick it up, hand delivered to us in the parking lot. Life is different, but I think we'll get the hang of it. I like the part about emailing an order and having the clerk bringing it to us! Not sure I ever get used to the True Value becoming an Ace!

We didn't clean the bucket after the first coat. Seems easier to wash a similar bucket that we already have. Also, we didn't find the paint fumes bad enough to need the fan; in fact not bad at all, and much nicer than the primer. On the other hand, losing a sense of smell is the first symptom for some... :frightened:

Anyway, I'll post some more pics after the 2nd coat, probably tomorrow.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:39 pm

If you don't need a lot of Acetone, you can use a bottle of fingernail polish remover that you can probably get at the drug store.

PS. It's looking really good! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:49 pm

...put the first coat of Monstaliner on this morning...

She looks stellar!

How about those fumes? :oops:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:07 pm

A lady in a bandanna rang up my purchases, and then pushed the bucket with the two glass measuring cups right off of the counter, where I, in the mask Shelly made me and my, partly steamed up, glasses, missed the save.
Tom[/quote]
People, an observation from someone who has worn breathing protection nearly every working day for the last 40 odd years - if you are steaming up your glasses, your mask is not sealing and you may as well not be wearing it.

Take a look at 3M brand flat fold disposables. They have a strip of reasonably malleable metal in the nose area. This is molded to the shape of the nose when donning the mask, so that it does seal.

Surgical masks that don't have this strip are actually designed to catch what you might be breathing out, which is why some people are saying they won't protect the wearer.
Perhaps in a homemade mask, and congrats to you for trying, you could somehow incorporate some paper clips or soft wire or something so you can mould the mask to seal on your face.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:31 pm

MickinOz wrote:People, an observation from someone who has worn breathing protection nearly every working day for the last 40 odd years - if you are steaming up your glasses, your mask is not sealing and you may as well not be wearing it.

Take a look at 3M brand flat fold disposables. They have a strip of reasonably malleable metal in the nose area. This is molded to the shape of the nose when donning the mask, so that it does seal.

Surgical masks that don't have this strip are actually designed to catch what you might be breathing out, which is why some people are saying they won't protect the wearer.
Perhaps in a homemade mask, and congrats to you for trying, you could somehow incorporate some paper clips or soft wire or something so you can mould the mask to seal on your face.

Yes, I agree. There is quite a bit of discussion about masks in the USA these days. I prefer the type with malleable metal in the nose, but commercial versions of those are unobtainium these days, with all supplies going for medical uses. The US FDA waived a lot of requirements so that N95 masks previously produced on non-FDA approved assembly lines for industrial purposes are now being sent to hospitals and such.

A few days ago the US CDC changed their guidelines saying home made masks may be of benefit, by catching or at least re-directing expelled moisture away from others. It does nothing for me, but the moisture that winds up on my glasses won't carry COVID-19 to anyone else (if, in fact, I were infected but still asympomatic).

In fact, I do have one old commercial dust mask in my shop, and I thought about wearing it, but decided it might seem unpatriotic, despite the fact that hospitals won't take donations of opened packages (and this one happens to be one I likely wore before for dust protection, so would never think of giving to anyone else). However, I saw a few other folks out wearing similar masks, so I don't think it would cause a perception problem.

If I were serious about trying to protect myself with a mask, however, the first thing I'd have to do is shave the beard I started to grow when this began. Probably should anyway--it itches, especially under the home made mask, which causes me to want to touch my face. As I said to the lady in the bandanna right before she broke the measuring cup, "I picked the wrong pandemic to grow a beard!"

In any event, Shelly and I are thinking this is the time to stop going out at all for a awhile, and to practice our long duration camping skills: Canned food, baking bread, etc. New Mexico should reach its peak in a few weeks, and we can afford to stay home.

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:36 pm

tony.latham wrote:
...put the first coat of Monstaliner on this morning...

She looks stellar!

How about those fumes? :oops:

Tony

Thanks Tony! We finished the second coat tonight, and I think the Cabin Fever is looking good. Shelly and I seem to share a trait that we're never quite happy with the results of our own work, and she's seeing a few flaws I don't think anyone will notice. I'm happy it ultimately covered a few things in the epoxy/fiberglass work I didn't like.

Of course, the first time we take it down a dirt road, nature will add her own marks.

Shelly won't let me near her until the paint is fully cured, but I'll try and sneak down and take more pictures tomorrow.

Can't wait to get back to cutting wood! This time for the interior trim and galley.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals