Tom & Shelly's build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Tom & Shelly's build

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Looks great.

Wonder if we can find some quarter inch triangular shaped bass wood, or similar?

I assume you are talking about exposed wood that doesn't have varnish on it? Can you just give it a coat of poly? If not you should be able to find some quarter-round molding that would finish that off nicely.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:48 pm

tony.latham wrote:Looks great.

Wonder if we can find some quarter inch triangular shaped bass wood, or similar?

I assume you are talking about exposed wood that doesn't have varnish on it? Can you just give it a coat of poly? If not you should be able to find some quarter-round molding that would finish that off nicely.

:thumbsup:

Tony

I probably could just touch it up with poly, but we think the trim molding will look nice.

Maybe stained to match the plastic Kreg jig style hole covers that arrived this evening:

I'm partial to the darker brown, but Shelly likes the lighter shade, and she's in charge of the interior design. Not sure why, but Kreg is only selling them in white. I found these from a Chinese vendor on Amazon in a variety of colors. They gave metric sizes, but they appear to be a perfect fit to the Kreg jig holes, and best of all, they cover the tear-out

157366 157365

(We won't glue them in until we've matched the color with stained trim and are sure we want this shade.)

Almost have to wonder if a Chinese entrepreneur found a way to take the Kreg design and make them on a 3D printer. They did take the slow boat from China to get here.

Didn't mention it earlier in this thread, but before gluing in the bulkheads I had to deal with a design detail I screwed up earlier--putting the galley bulkhead right over two of the bolts into the trailer frame. I cut two "mouse holes" in the bulkhead, but didn't want to cut all the way up into the foam, so they weren't tall enough to get the bolts in and out. I solved that with a reamer, giving the holes in the floor a taper.

Now, they will go in and out, and will hold the floor down, but will not necessarily hold the box from shearing forces. I'll rely on the other six bolts for that.

I may take a scrap of 1/8" Baltic Birch and run it along the bottom of the bulkhead (on one side or the other) to help keep dust from migrating from the galley into the cabin.

Tom
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:20 am

Getting the walls up was a fun step for us. I put up one wall then put the cabinets in then put up the other wall. Seemed like in one day we had a camper.

won't the mattress cover the pocket screws?

Todd
KTM_Guy
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:00 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:won't the mattress cover the pocket screws?

Todd

Hi Todd,

I had the admittedly not too logical answer, "well yes, but I'd rather the chip out be covered by the plastic covers rather than simply hidden by the mattress".

but Shelly's answer is that, this way, we won't get dust in the pocket holes. :)

I'd rather have it look as good as it can, even in the parts that aren't seen easily. Can't explain the logic, but it makes me feel better. Also, we may decide someday to get one of those fold up mattresses, so we can make it into a love seat, or something like that, where the holes and floor would be seen. That's why we plan to paint the floor.

Tom
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Spent the day modifying my Climateright air conditioner. Yes, it might void the warranty, but, from what I've heard, they aren't too good about honoring their warranties anyway, and besides, it's only good for a year, and we've owned it for almost that long already. It will be well over a year before we take it to anyplace where we can truly test it under real conditions. (Not just hot, but hot and humid.)

First, I tried it out, and found it blows hot and cold, as requested. For some reason the thermometer seems to think it's about 10 degrees warmer than my digital thermometer, which I trust (to better than that).

The cord for the non-remote panel was designed to go up the return vent. I didn't like that, so I opened it up to see what could be done.

In this shot, the return is on the bottom, the cooler is showing, and the electronics are on top. That cord used to go out the bottom of the electronics box and was wire tied with the wire to the thermometer, right inside the return.

157513 157514

Here is a close-up of that wire, and the side of the AC with the side cover removed. I decided I'd rather have that cable come out right there, so I drilled a half inch hole in the cover

157515 157516 157519

Pictures from before, after, and while testing. Funny thing about that grommet. It likely is older than I am, having come from my Dad's electronics junk drawer. The rubber may be from British Malaya or French Indochina. Yet, it's still the required texture, etc. Just like new! I retested the AC system after the mod and it still works!

As I worked on this, I realized there were a few minor issues with the design and implementation. For one thing, they used wood screws to attach the flanges to the metal case, and, for another, they drilled the holes too big, with the result the screws never tightened. I found some similar half inch wood screws that were slightly thicker (8's vs 9's perhaps?) and they held much better. Also, they have the flange just slightly too high on the panel and so the top cover interferes

I decided to trim the flange on the bandsaw, just a little, so the whole thing fits together better now

Tomorrow, I'll figure out how to mount the AC to the teardrop, and cut and attach the flanges to the bulkhead/headboard

157465 157466 157467

Vibration while the AC is running doesn't seem like it will be a problem, but I want to mount it in such a way the vibration from travel is less likely to break the unit. Seems like we will have noise from the air out of the vent, but not sure we can do anything about that.

Tom
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:08 pm

Decided to mount our ClimateRight by replacing the feet with home-made mounts:

157572 157570 157571

These came from my scrap wood pile, with rubber that came from a Harbor Fright floor pad. The band saw cuts the pads nicely enough. I used some glue that came with a dryer fix-it kit which was originally intended to glue a rubber ring to the metal drum (not sure why they gave us such a big tube). The mounts went on the AC like this:

I went to the hardware store with one of the feet and found it was a metric thread, so bought four matching bolts. I tightened them down to the AC so the 3/8 rubber is compressed to about a quarter inch. The idea is that some of the vibration from the road will be damped by the rubber, so the AC won't see the full shock. When I make the final install, I will likely add Locktite to the bolts to keep them from vibrating loose. Since they are metric bolts, I guess I should've picked up some metric Locktite while I was at the hardware store. Just kidding! (I already have it in my shop!) :rofl:

I did buy a foot of hose that is 5/8" id, and 3/4" od. Fits over the AC drain nice and tight. I cut a hole in the right place in my floor and tried a test fit

157573 157574

I'll wait until we've coated the drain hole with epoxy and painted the floor to drill the holes in the mounts (which I will also varnish) and mount it more-or-less permanently.

Also mounted the brackets for the hoses in the bulkhead, as well as the louvers and controller

157576 157577

Next steps include making the upper deck over the utility room, a mid-deck above the AC (which will hold our Easy-up and other camping furniture), and the shelves for inside the cabin.

Shelly and I are on Spring Break this week, so hopefully I'll make some progress.

Tom
Tom&Shelly

Previous

Return to Build Journals