Super Teardrop / Cabin car

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Super Teardrop / Cabin car

Postby Train Wreck » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Hello all. New guy here. I have made the desicion to tear apart my 25ft Flagstaff camper and build a 20ft long, 6ft tall cabin car/ teardrop. Just finished redoing the trailer and now working on the floor. Any suggestions or links to something this large would be helpful. I'm using alot of stuff from the camper. Man those aluminum frames sure are horrible. I'm going all wood. So I will keep you all updated with pics when I make progress. Here are some pics of the tear down and the trailer as of last week. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Train Wreck
Teardrop Builder

Re: Super Teardrop / Cabin car

Postby Train Wreck » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:21 am

Will update with better pictures soon. Does anyone have experience using a full size 25ft double axle trailer? Also has anyone on here used a full size fiberglass camper door with their TD? I want to utilize as much stuff from the camper as I can. I'm using all the windows, interior chairs and seats outdoor shower head. I dont want alot of stuff inside as when we camp we are outside 99% of the time. I plan on using all the electrical components. Also I was thinking, since I only want it 20ft long that leaves me 5ft on the aft end to build a small deck that would be covered by the hatch in case it rains. Does this sound crazy to you all ? I'm pretty excited and have every tool ever needed available to me. I took off work for 2 weeks in may strictly to work on the camper so I hope to get alot completed. Please any guidance or criticism is welcomed.
Train Wreck
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 am

Unless you are planning to haul a quad or something on the deck (which you would probably want at the front anyway), I don't like the idea of a camper deck; at least not for my idea of camping.

Think about it, you're in the woods, you've got your camp chairs placed around the fire pit where you can easily tend the fire well into the night, sipping an adult beverage. Get up out of your chair, drench the fire, use your head lamp to make your way to the trailer and crawl into bed.

With a porch it will be much more restrictive, there will be so much less space to arrange chairs, for safety reasons it will need to be further away from the fire, and I just know that I would be stumbling off the edge, knocking my shins and/or tripping to climb up in the dark.

My advice would be, "hey diddle diddle, cut it in the middle" (or a bit further back). With dual axles you may even want to shorten both ends, depending on weight distribution.
Last edited by KCStudly on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Train Wreck » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks for the info. You are right. I think I will skip the deck. I really dont want to cut the trailer so I may just make the rear kitchen area a little bigger. Not much weight will be in the rear. Basically a light weight fridge, cooler space, cutting board and some drawers. I have a propane grill I like to use but I will use it outside. This is going to be pretty basic concept not alot of bells and whistles and I dont want to use propane for anything in the trailer. I will have Lights, windows, bed, 2 chairs that fold down to bed , t.v., A.C./ heater, minimal kitchen. So it will be roughly 24ft long and 6ft tall. Man this is going to be diffrent. I have 30ft of the rubber roof I can cut to size as well.
Train Wreck
Teardrop Builder

Postby Train Wreck » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Did some more work today on the floor Image

Train Wreck
Teardrop Builder

Postby Train Wreck » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Windows checked for leaks and cleaned up. Need to figure out if I can use the original camper doors. There is 2 and I was thinking of putting both in on opposite sides. Anyone have any thoughts on that or at least have used camper doors in their build? I DONT want it to look crappy but they are nice doors and screens. This would save me alot of money if I could use them. Also not sure on how many windows I want to use. There is only 2 that are exactly the same. .ImageImage

Train Wreck
Teardrop Builder

Postby dancam » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:11 pm

What about making a small rear galley like on most teardrops? Flip up door for the rain so you can cook outside

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Train Wreck » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:31 pm

That's my plan. I will have a couple drawings posted soon. Hopefully with dimensions.
Train Wreck
Teardrop Builder

Postby kayak-camper » Thu May 03, 2018 5:14 am

I have a long trailer too, looking forward to seeing your design.
kayak-camper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Train Wreck » Thu May 03, 2018 8:09 am

What do you have built, Kayak Camper ?
Train Wreck
Teardrop Builder

Postby kayak-camper » Fri May 04, 2018 3:05 am

Nothing as yet, I have a 15ft caravan which I'll use once this summer and then get started breaking it down in the autumn.

The plan at the moment is to build a teardrop style pod on top of a metal rack, the idea being to be able to slide canoes and kayaks underneath.
kayak-camper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DaddyJeep » Fri May 04, 2018 11:39 am

The door and windows look to be in good shape so you might as well re-purpose them in your new build. I will certainly follow along with your build and see what you come up with. My build, if I ever get started, will be the same height and width as yours but only half the length. I will be going almost all foam for my build though. I feel there are several advantages over wood.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Train Wreck » Sat May 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Any suggestions on the route to take when I'm building the walls. I was thinking plywood exterior, using 2x2 for frame , insulation then thin paneling for the interior. The floor has 12 places to boot it to the frame but I want to make sure it's going to be sturdy enough. I dont believe they will be too heavy but any suggestions would help. Thanks

Train Wreck
Teardrop Builder

Postby dancam » Sun May 06, 2018 9:43 am

2x2 framing, 1/8 baltic birch plywood on each side with insulation in the middle would be my choice if i was doing a plywood trailer. The baltic birch is really nice and tough plywood that isnt supposed to delaminate if it gets wet

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Alice » Sun May 06, 2018 3:23 pm

You asked about the extra length. What I really miss in my Teardrop is space for all the things I only use outside. For example, chairs, umbrella, awning, dressing tent, flashlights/headlamps, wet jacket, tents/tarps/poles/stakes/hammer, table cloth, firewood, etc. A big compartment accessible from outside could be real convenient for things you otherwise stick in your car or tongue toolbox (or on the bed in a TD).
Alice
Titanium Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals