The Wedge (Name Subject to change!)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Wedge (Name Subject to change!)

Postby working on it » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:56 pm

NorthEGPhoto wrote:
Carl01234 wrote:35 degrees is an average summer day here. Do Canadiens melt?

Well, the 'feels like' is around 45c. so probably 70-80% humidity.. so sweating will not help. But yes, generally, I can't handle the heat - If given the choice between 45C and -45C i'd take -45c.

I took a trip to the badlands once.. it was 30c there, and it was the most awesome summer day i'd ever had, because there was no humidity.
  • I'm looking at the thermometer outside my office window (actually my dog-sitting room) at home, as I read this. It reads 101 degrees F (38.33 Celsius). I just came in after watering my wife's flowers, while she travels around in the northlands, and after an hour in the sun, I really wasn't uncomfortable. It's because the humidity is quite low for around here, at 32%.
  • Your statement about the low humidity in the Badlands made me think about one summer day in 1977, at the Petrified Forest in Arizona, where I hiked miles & miles for many hours in direct sun, and barely broke a sweat. It was 105 degrees, and <10% humidity, as I recall (can't remember what I ate two days ago, but I remember odd things from the past...the remnants of my once-photographic memory, I guess). I just now checked the weather at the Petrified Forest, via Google...it's 96 degrees and 5% humidity. Not bad at all.
2013 HHRv a "squareback/squaredrop" 4x8 TTT,
semi-offroad?, at barely under 2000 lbs travel weight
  • 3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube axle, w/brakes
  • 27x8.5-14LT all-terrain tires (x 3)
  • LED lighting, triple fans. Pioneer stereo
  • A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator
  • Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill
  • zinc/stainless steel front racks
working on it
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:39 am

working on it wrote:
NorthEGPhoto wrote:
Carl01234 wrote:35 degrees is an average summer day here. Do Canadiens melt?

Well, the 'feels like' is around 45c. so probably 70-80% humidity.. so sweating will not help. But yes, generally, I can't handle the heat - If given the choice between 45C and -45C i'd take -45c.

I took a trip to the badlands once.. it was 30c there, and it was the most awesome summer day i'd ever had, because there was no humidity.
  • I'm looking at the thermometer outside my office window (actually my dog-sitting room) at home, as I read this. It reads 101 degrees F (38.33 Celsius). I just came in after watering my wife's flowers, while she travels around in the northlands, and after an hour in the sun, I really wasn't uncomfortable. It's because the humidity is quite low for around here, at 32%.
  • Your statement about the low humidity in the Badlands made me think about one summer day in 1977, at the Petrified Forest in Arizona, where I hiked miles & miles for many hours in direct sun, and barely broke a sweat. It was 105 degrees, and <10% humidity, as I recall (can't remember what I ate two days ago, but I remember odd things from the past...the remnants of my once-photographic memory, I guess). I just now checked the weather at the Petrified Forest, via Google...it's 96 degrees and 5% humidity. Not bad at all.

In general, it is rare to have heat in Ontario without accompanying crazy humidity. But, lots of lakes. Its hard to travel 50 miles without having to divert around one. But yeah, when it gets over 30% or so it starts feeling like you're walking around trying to push through a wall of hot jello. Starting to wonder if i should reconsider installing an A/C or at least a dehumidifier in the box of my trailer. I don't have much weight allowance, but maybe a small dehumidifier along with my fan would work. Or maybe if I use the dehumidifier I could use a swamp cooler inside the box.

I mostly camp in the off season anyhow, so it probably won't be a problem. Spring before the bugs, fall after the bugs and the leaves are nice. Though, the bugs this year are not so bad, last year if you went out unprotected they'd swarm you so thick you could barely see.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:24 am

Well, I survived. I think I probably drank enough water to fill lake Ontario, but I managed to get the DC wiring all hooked up, and generally cleaned up the mess inside. I'm not finished with it yet, during the process I ran into a few problems which I will need to fix. I've got a couple of bus bars on order to make wire management a little easier. I'll need to extend some wires as well. I did decide to not vent my battery box to the outside since the only time that might be a problem would be at night with the top all buttoned up - which will never happen, since I don't intend to die of carbon monoxide/dioxide (as with all homebuilt trailers, I imagine this may change at some future date). I have a simple 48 AH car battery in there, but I built the box big enough for 2 'golf cart' batteries, which I'm still looking for 'the price is right'. Found a place near home that rebuilds them for $80 a pop.. so that may be where I end up going. I'd really like to get them for $50, but I may be being too much of a skinflint.

I managed to install my 27" monitor on the center stack and wired up my switches and ceiling lights. It is nice and bright. I'm getting 40v during full sunlight to my MPPT charge controller and 19v during overcast, so charging isn't an issue. I can run all my lights and fan + monitor off of solar and still charge during full sunlight. For overcast, or at night, I've wired up the six ceiling lights in such a way that I can turn on the front left, right, or the back left or right to minimize battery usage.

I have DC outlets on my battery box which are not connected to the main 'battery disconnect' so they can be used indipendantly, they have their own switches (because those have annoying LED indicators I didn't notice when I bought them, which are always on)

Pictures to come in the next few days, I'm still collecting an converting all the footage. Heat wave is still going strong so getting home usually involves collapsing in front of the TV with a nice Cold one. :beer:
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:44 am

As promised, here's the video.

NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals