"yet to be named" new 4 berth slide in build.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

"yet to be named" new 4 berth slide in build.

Postby Feen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:22 am

Hey Folks,

After lurking for a while and studying the internet for a few weeks I've decided to make a start.

We are a tent camping family and whilst I love it, sometimes it just takes too long to pack up, pitch up, pack away and then dry out. Ideally I'd have a caravan however we can't justify it right now. And so I began thinking about teardrops. I've got a lot to squeeze in so function has taken precedent over form. It will end up rather "box like" however I think some clever graphics will help the appearance.

So after finalising a design in my head for the interior and exterior I came across the No Bo 10.5. I couldn't believe how similar it was to what I wanted and gave my a perfect impression of what I might (could) end up with.

I already own three trailers which all live at home and occupy valuable space. A 5x4 for behind the ATV, a 7x4 road legal for hauling the ATV and a 10x5 twin flat bed for anything bigger. The 7x4 is a French trailer by Lider, has a galvanised tilting chassis and aluminium (removable) sides. And so it is this trailer that will form the base for the camper build. However, I still need the trailer to haul logs or the ATV which led to the decision to make the camper removable, or slide in.

Since 2010, the laws have changed in the UK regarding trailers and since that date, all new build trailers must be type approved which pretty much ruined things for the DIY builder. Of course, there is nothing to say you didn't build or refurbish your trailer before 2010 and it's here that the law is a bit vague. (unless you document the build on the internet!!!!!) The 7x4, when stripped of it's sides is very minimal and lightweight and retains all it's lights and reflectors within the chassis making it an ideal base platform. Lider actually sell a type approved chassis only for the home builder.

I'll apologise now for the metric sizes but such is the way of world.

The base trailer is 2080mm long and 1410mm between the mud guards. I can stretch the length out to 2440 by overhanging front and back but that is the limit. I should add now that the axle is in the centre (more or less) rather than towards the rear which seems to be the norm. I am keeping an eye on how I distribute the weight to maintain a stable ride. The axle and draw bar are limited to 750kg total weight however I'm aiming to make it as light as possible. By limiting the box height to 1220, it keeps the roof height below the height of the tow car roof which may or may not help with drag. At 1410mm wide it's also narrower than the tow car. The tow car, by the way, will either be our Peugeot Partner Teepee or a Landrover Defender. I'm sure they'll pop up in forth coming photos.

I don't have a budget as such, but am hoping my method can keep the costs to a minimum. If I can make a good enough job of the finished article I may be able to market the concept so costs are important.

I need to take the kids out now so I'll post this and continue later.

All the best

James
Feen
Teardrop Inspector

Re: "yet to be named" new 4 berth slide in build.

Postby Feen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:10 am

Part 2...

I’m sat waiting for recovery so have time on my hands.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday producing a mock-up then spent the rest of the day staring at it.

Whilst my kids think it’s great and can stand up in it, it is ver y compact. But therein lies the challenge. I recently built a chuck box to fit within an exact space in the camp trailer. It was a challenge to fit everything in but turned out to be one of my most enjoyable projects of late. So this trailer my turn out to be a similar experience.

I’ll attach a few photos and look forward to any comments.

I had cut a 500mm radius on the front and was planning to run with it until I had a square box formed and decided I liked it. it’s very boring but that’s where I think vinyl graphics will help.

The entire outer skin is made up of a homemade sandwich of 4mm ply, 25mm XPS, 4 mm ply. All the ply is Birch, which gives a nice finish inside and allows a better key on the outside for fibreglass resin. The manufacture of Birch ply is also far more dependable than WBP or marine, now coming out of China with a very rapid rate of delamination.

IVe mentioned a fibreglass skin but I’ve yet to decide on the outside finish. Originally, I was having curves and bends in the body work and struggling to source suitable trims in the UK that I could bend. I do a lot of fibreglass work on flat roofs so thought I could use that which negates the need for trims. A nice big radius cutter in the router ran around all the corners would provide a nice base for the fibreglass. I just need to research flow coat finishes in white. Alas, now that the box may be square and boxy, I could revert back to trims and even aluminium skins. Water ingress is a major worry for me, we live in a fairly wet climate in this part of the UK and damp is a major issue for caravans over here.
I guess there are pros and cons to either method.

Internally, fit out will be using 6mm birch ply throughout. The mattress will be custom made in eight pieces and will convert to a sofa or chair. I’m still torn between one or two access doors, and may proceed with only one but make allowances for the addition of a second later on. Two windows, plus one in the door and a fairly large skylight. I’ll introduce some sort of mechanical vent but not sure where. Kitchen is all in the rear under an up-and-over door and storage in the front for gas and 12v battery. There will also be a 2.5x2.5m awning on the door side.

All the best

James
Attachments
9A5691A9-9F17-47DA-994A-F66F65E957C8.jpeg
9A5691A9-9F17-47DA-994A-F66F65E957C8.jpeg (154.5 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
BA08182E-DE75-443C-BE35-C0854AFEC6D8.jpeg
BA08182E-DE75-443C-BE35-C0854AFEC6D8.jpeg (149.14 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Feen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Feen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Some more from Sketchup
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-06-10 at 08.46.00.png
Screenshot 2018-06-10 at 08.46.00.png (241.15 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
Screenshot 2018-06-10 at 09.06.08.png
Screenshot 2018-06-10 at 09.06.08.png (233.87 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
Feen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mallymal » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:23 am

Wow, what a great start!

Being in the uk myself, I shall watch this with interest :thumbsup:

I probably hold the record for the uk (maybe the whole forum :lol: ) as the longest lurker / yet to start building!

Good luck with your build!

By the way, the one bit of golden advice that pops up on this site time and time again is “don’t over engineer it.... you’re building an aircraft, not a tank!”
mallymal
The 300 Club

Postby Feen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:59 am

The over engineering is always at the back of my mind.

I'm a joiner to trade so hopefully have a good understanding of what's required. The trailer base is already made and type approved so I don't need to worry about that. The rest is insulated sandwich panel with 3 and 4mm ply. I'll probably use just 6mm ply for all the internal fit out.

Plywood arrives tomorrow so all go after that.

James
Feen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Feen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:07 am

Just came on these, since you all love a photo.

Chuck box.

James
Attachments
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG (100.61 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG (132.08 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Feen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Feen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:32 am

Mock up behind tow car.

Just some scrap and second hand materials I had lying around.

James
Attachments
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG (163.13 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG (134.93 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG (157.24 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
Feen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Feen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:45 am

Kids being kids, I never made it into the workshop until Sunday afternoon but ended up rebuilding the stater motor on my Defender. So, Monday night it was, once the kids were in bed.

I skinned, insulated, and skinned the floor. I'm using "Gator" glue for all timber to timber bonds. It's re-branded glue that we use at work now for flooring. It means we don't use any fixings and it expands slightly so seals out water until we get the roof on. If you have to lift or change the floor anywhere, the top of the joist gives way before the flooring or glue.

For the poly insulation, I'm using a decorator's adhesive designed to adhere old school poly ceiling tiles. Again on testing, the polystyrene gave up before the bonds. However I used a whole container on the two bonds in the floor alone. That's 4kg of weight in just the glue. I'm going pursue other avenues for the rest of the build.

Bedtime reading is currently for aluminium trims to make doors and access panels. I'm not having much luck.

James
Attachments
IMG_0752.JPG
25mm polystyrene insulation
IMG_0752.JPG (111.4 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
IMG_0751.JPG
Decosa adhesive from a 2mm notched trowel
IMG_0751.JPG (66.91 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
IMG_0750.JPG
The adhesive for the poly doesn't have much "grab" so needs weighted down until cured.
IMG_0750.JPG (127.82 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Feen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Feen wrote:Kids being kids, I never made it into the workshop until Sunday afternoon but ended up rebuilding the stater motor on my Defender. So, Monday night it was, once the kids were in bed.

I skinned, insulated, and skinned the floor. I'm using "Gator" glue for all timber to timber bonds. It's re-branded glue that we use at work now for flooring. It means we don't use any fixings and it expands slightly so seals out water until we get the roof on. If you have to lift or change the floor anywhere, the top of the joist gives way before the flooring or glue.

For the poly insulation, I'm using a decorator's adhesive designed to adhere old school poly ceiling tiles. Again on testing, the polystyrene gave up before the bonds. However I used a whole container on the two bonds in the floor alone. That's 4kg of weight in just the glue. I'm going pursue other avenues for the rest of the build.

Bedtime reading is currently for aluminium trims to make doors and access panels. I'm not having much luck.

James

Looks good James!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Feen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:43 pm

I have to admit, it's going to be a very boring camper to look at. I made the tough decision of function over aesthetics a couple of weeks ago, after all I have four bodies to fit in to it. There is the option of taking the corner off at the top front later but my awning will run the entire length anyway so hide any curve. Time will tell.

My wife and kids are off to Canada for 5 weeks next week so should allow me a good bit of progress.

James
Feen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Feen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:48 pm

Had a couple of hours at it last night and managed to sheet the ceiling and inside front skin.

I also trimmed the roof out for a 400x400mm vented skylight.

Before I glued the ceiling skin in place, I packed up each corner of the frame by 25mm. Once glued, I then weighted the middle down before nailing up the sheet thus kind of pre-stressing the roof. I'd rather water didn't pool on the roof when it's finished.

I then stood and stared at it all for about half an hour. I decided my bunk idea isn't going to work and so re=designed the 3rd and 4th berth. I also started thinking about cable routes and window sizes.

All for now.

James
Attachments
IMG_0756.JPG
IMG_0756.JPG (114.46 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Feen
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals