Photo Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Photo Build

Postby RTAMidwest » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:32 pm

I've dreamed of having a teardrop for years, and with the kid grown and out of the house, last winter we finally decided to make the upgrade from a tent. I have a very limited amount of mechanical ability, but my father can build anything so I gave him the assignment. I gave him some general ideas of things we'd like, and we toured several of them together last spring at Canoecopia, but beyond that, he pretty much had free reign to build it as he saw fit. It's still being finished up, but we're going to take it out on its maiden voyage this week.

Here's some of the photos of the build, in progress, starting with the built from scratch trailer:

RTAMidwest
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Photo Build

Postby RTAMidwest » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:42 pm

The exterior

RTAMidwest
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RTAMidwest » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:48 pm

The interior:

RTAMidwest
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RTAMidwest » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:58 pm

The Galley:

That's were things stood as of last weekend. I'm told the hatch has since been finished, and the countertop, sink, plumbing, and electrical are also installed now - although I don't anticipate much in the way of other cabinetry to be completed until after we get in a few trips this fall.
RTAMidwest
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:36 pm

Think he'd like to adopt anyone? Looks fantastic! And all that storage under the floor. Wow!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby RTAMidwest » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:42 am

The floor storage is impressive. Part of it is going to house the battery and electrical, leaving the tongue free to potentially haul our bicycles on longer trips.
RTAMidwest
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:48 am

Very impressive.

Is the trailer frame aluminum? I hope the main draw bar (and even the 'A' frame rails) extend back further than the front cross member (xmbr). If not, that attachment point at the front xmbr will be especially susceptible to cracking; you will want to inspect frequently.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby lincolnlerner » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:18 pm

First and second pictures show the area but not clearly enough for me to know. Seems you are on to something. There appears to be a solid longitudinal stringer but the tongue and such are welded to the front with the frame welded to the back of the transverse member. Could be a very stron tub-like arrangement but that still depends on the weld? Maybe a gusset or more.

Still love the work! Maybe heavy? But sure looks great. Aerodynamics looks pretty good from what I can tell so far! Seems the galley is pretty deep. Maybe another strength maneuver to have the vertical walls line up in such a way. He really can build anything!
lincolnlerner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G2tP » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:10 am

Wow! Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
G2tP
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RTAMidwest » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:15 pm

Haven't had time to post, because I've been too busy using it! In other words, it's functionally done. There's still plenty of finishing work to do. There's no interior cabinets, beyond the floor storage, and the kitchen is very basic and will still get additional cabinet work probably over the winter when I won't be enjoying it anyway!

In answer to some of the previous questions, yes it is an aluminum frame, and the empty weight as pictured below came in just below 1100 lbs.

RTAMidwest
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals