Standy camper on a pop up frame

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Standy camper on a pop up frame

Postby tmclemore » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Two coats of paint and a window. I think it looks ok. Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:12 pm

tmclemore wrote:Two coats of paint and a window. I think it looks ok. Image

It's looking good.. :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby tmclemore » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:41 pm

Door and windows in. Still needs paint. Got the roof vent in too. Its starting to come together. May be camping in September. Woo hoo. ImageImage

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Olddog1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:43 pm

just finished stripping down a 2000 Coleman Fleetwood and found the frame this week. Thanks for all the info you've shared.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:16 pm

Olddog1 wrote:just finished stripping down a 2000 Coleman Fleetwood and found the frame this week. Thanks for all the info you've shared.
And now the fun begins.

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Olddog1 wrote:just finished stripping down a 2000 Coleman Fleetwood and found the frame this week. Thanks for all the info you've shared.

Whatever you do don't "obliterate" the VIN on the side of the frame. I made that mistake and am now having a hell of a time getting the trailer registered. The state of Texas doesn't like VIN obliteraters. :frightened:
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ojgrsoi » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:41 pm

tmclemore wrote:

Whatever you do don't "obliterate" the VIN on the side of the frame. I made that mistake and am now having a hell of a time getting the trailer registered. The state of Texas doesn't like VIN obliteraters. :frightened:

So true. I retired from the TxDMV. Email me and maybe I can help you. Sometimes there are options that you can pursue.

[email protected]
Mark
Weatherford - True Texas

https://youtu.be/BKs6XfgAKKc
ojgrsoi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:03 pm

ojgrsoi wrote:
tmclemore wrote:

So true. I retired from the TxDMV. Email me and maybe I can help you. Sometimes there are options that you can pursue.

[email protected]
Thanks Ill send you an email tomorrow with all the details. Looks like I will have to get a court order to reassign the VIN. Its a hard lesson to learn. Its important to know the pedigree of your trailer before making improvements. It used to be much easier to get a registration in Texas. I remember when it was a 5 minute process. I guess the trailer thieves put a stop to that. I guess its better in the long run. Just frustrating.

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 2bits » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:21 pm

I am an expert in bonded titles but yes with no VIN it is a no go on that. You were saying it used to be easy to get registration in Texas but it sounds like something changed.. So you can't go in and register a new lightweight home built utility trailer any more?
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 pm

I saw that you were using what looked like home style door hinges, what do you have planed to deal with water getting in?
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby tmclemore » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:21 am

Nope. You have to haul it to an inspection station to ensure it is not a stolen trailer and it is in fact home made. The problem I ran into is even though mine is 95% home made the original frame is not. So I can't register it as home made. There are steps to registering it but it involves getting a court order and spending time and money to accomplish the task. Instead I have chosen to build a frame with updated springs and axles. I can then set my home built camper body onto my home built frame go get it inspected and apply for a title and registration. It will take a little time but the cost is about the same and I will have a trailer frame that is not 35 years old. My wife tells me I do things the hard way. I'm beginning to believe her.
2bits wrote:I am an expert in bonded titles but yes with no VIN it is a no go on that. You were saying it used to be easy to get registration in Texas but it sounds like something changed.. So you can't go in and register a new lightweight home built utility trailer any more?

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:26 am

2bits wrote:I saw that you were using what looked like home style door hinges, what do you have planed to deal with water getting in?
That is a problem. I have a lip inside the door frame to put a rubber seal on. It works so far but i have not been driving in a hard rain. My other thought is to put an aluminum trim piece on the outside of the door with a seal also. I'm not sure what other type of hinge would work. Do you have any ideas that may work to seal the door better?

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 2bits » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:15 am

Yeah I had to drag my vintage campers down to Hutchins for my VIN check too, that is good to know for the future.

For your door, I would check out what vintage campers are doing, newer campers are harder because everything is prefabbed and built into the door, which you could do I guess (get a new RV door and frame altogether, I see them on craigslist all the time for a 100-300) but using your own door, you can try a piano hinge style hinge and then cover it from top to bottom with some of that rubber that you get at hD that you attach to the bottom of your garage door (It's in the door sweeper section). For an even cleaner look although a little harder to install, instead of screwing into the face of the side, you could screw the rubber stuff under the hinge itself so when you close the door you don't see the hinge at all and only see the loop of the rubber as it goes over the hinge. You could get an aluminum drip rail over the door and just make sure it covers the top of the hinge too and you would be set.

I used a harsh environment plastic hinge on my rear galley hatch, I don't think it would handle the vertical weight but I'm posting the pic because if you decided to just install it over your existing hinge or a piano hinge with some aluminum strips to hold it down it would look similar to the pic, just imagine it vertical. I hope that helps!!
Attachments
72.jpg
72.jpg (135.13 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Olddog1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:52 pm

Noticed in your photos the 2 crank out windows. Go to the dollar store and get a couple of the pool noodles. Slit them length wise and attach at least to the lower window when open. 8 stitches across the forehead of experience talking here.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ojgrsoi » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:47 am

tmclemore wrote:Nope. You have to haul it to an inspection station to ensure it is not a stolen trailer and it is in fact home made. The problem I ran into is even though mine is 95% home made the original frame is not. So I can't register it as home made. There are steps to registering it but it involves getting a court order and spending time and money to accomplish the task. Instead I have chosen to build a frame with updated springs and axles. I can then set my home built camper body onto my home built frame go get it inspected and apply for a title and registration. It will take a little time but the cost is about the same and I will have a trailer frame that is not 35 years old. My wife tells me I do things the hard way. I'm beginning to believe her.
2bits wrote:I am an expert in bonded titles but yes with no VIN it is a no go on that. You were saying it used to be easy to get registration in Texas but it sounds like something changed.. So you can't go in and register a new lightweight home built utility trailer any more?

Sorry things are going this way for you. Once your frame is complete you might consider is getting the 68a and applying for your vin before you mount your cabin. Then you can stamp your frame prior to painting it. You don't have to apply for title until you're ready.
Mark
Weatherford - True Texas

https://youtu.be/BKs6XfgAKKc
ojgrsoi
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals