My Rolling Screened-In Porch

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: My Rolling Screened-In Porch

Postby GrantRobertson » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:09 pm

I have finished all the parts of the frame for the walls. The walls are not fastened down to the floor yet. Neither are the front and rear walls fastened to the side walls. Everything is just cut and fastened together as much as is reasonable right now. I am waiting till things are a little further along to fasten everything together.

I'm particularly proud of this corner joint. The parts from the side wall are glued and screwed, but the top rail of the front wall (going out of the picture to the right) is only setting in place for the picture.

Just today, I put the insulation into the bottom of the floor and glued on one piece of the bottom skin of the floor. Rather than do a lap joint of the 1/4" plywood, I am just going to glue a 4" strip over the seam.

Note: Even though I measured the thickness of my frame members and the insulation board several times, and they both were exactly 1.5" every time, the insulation ended up sitting "proud" of the frame members no matter how hard I tried to mash it down. I even got up on top of it and pushed down along the edges with my knees. So, I slathered on super thick beads of construction adhesive, only on the frame members, then clamped and weighted the whole thing down over the frame members. It seems to be filling the tiny bit of a gap just fine. Also, I need more clamps. Those cheap, red ones are only $3.48 each at Walmart. Cheap enough to use then give away when I don't need them anymore.
GrantRobertson
Teardrop Inspector

The skin is on the bottom of the floor.

Postby GrantRobertson » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:16 pm

Not a whole lot of new news. I just finished the skin on the bottom of the floor. As you can see, I didn't do a routed lap joint on the bottom like I did on the top. I just glued another 6" strip of 1/4" plywood over the seam. That was a lot of wood glue. Not counting the extra strip, the floor is now 2 1/4" thick.

The whole thing is super stiff, which is great for what I plan to do with it.

I can lift one end with one hand, and I am a super-skinny guy who hasn't done curls in decades. So, other than being awkward, I could probably lift the whole floor myself. Don't know how much it actually weighs though.
GrantRobertson
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals