Mechanix Illustrated Teardrop, in 1/14 scale.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Mechanix Illustrated Teardrop, in 1/14 scale.

Postby frizzen » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:44 pm

I've been having some conversations, and some ideas keep popping up.
- - For once it's even NOT about Hippies or Surfing!

If anybody followed along with this set of projects, a guy might have some stock Dickie hard plastic wheels sitting around after doing the swap for Italeri semi-trailer tires. Eventually ya wonder what can ya do with them?

I'm just using a magnet on this test, but if you pop off the vw logo it's got a perfect location hole for a permanent tire mount.

If we hang a tire off the nose, it's usually to free up some interior space for something. So might as well yank the middle seat and start on making a galley...

Clearly it needs paint and more details, but it doesn't look too bad in there, even with leaving the full back seat so we'll say it's a Kombi and not a full time Camper.

If i roll this way, i'd take out the seat supports in the floor. Maybe even build the closet, bed, other storage. I dunno.

This might work. Green tire cover was planned for green one, but i'm already pretty happy with the interior on it. So it time to abuse red one as a test mule. Although building into a camper would quickly turn a Van build into what the scale rc truck people call a 'dollhouse truck'. I might have even been considering making parts to turn red one into a Westfalia poptop...

Anyway, have some Vw camper ads
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/vintage-volkswagen-camper-van-advertisements/
My build log, 1/14 scale

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70784
frizzen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:28 pm

Delightful! The detail is amazing! :o :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rjgimp » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:12 am

Hey! Those dudes aren't practicing proper social distancing! They don't appear to be at least six feet, uhhm... I mean 5.14 inches apart.

:R
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby frizzen » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Thank you!

Sorry rjgimp, i should have mentioned that these are employees of a Lao Che Airfreight warehouse. They were deemed essenital due to some of the supply chain things this warehouse deals with. These few volunteered to stay on site when they saw what a collosal Goat Rodeo of fail china was making of containment. It's hard enough to find normal n95 / p100 masks / any kind of respirators, let alone some in 1/14 scale Medium. You might as well forget about even finding 1/14 gloves right now!

They're being pretty well compensated for their sacrifice, and we're trying to make their off hours as enjoyable as possible.

https://youtu.be/x1aHqFgxA9U

They work with VERY important papers...
My build log, 1/14 scale

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70784
frizzen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rjgimp » Fri May 01, 2020 1:50 am

frizzen wrote:https://youtu.be/x1aHqFgxA9U

Oh, man! That lift operator needs to hit a safety class, STAT! :question: :O

I hope the DOT cop isn't waiting around the first bend in the road like he usually is. :twisted: His ticket book will get a workout today! $> $> None of those drivers strapped their loads down!
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals