Building the Li'l Willy

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Building the Li'l Willy

Postby Rhinoman64 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:06 pm

I've been making sawdust for several weeks, so I decided I better start my journal before I forget the challenges/frustrations/triumphs I've encountered so far.

My decision to build a teardrop style trailer started when an ad for Hiker Trailers popped up on my Facebook feed. I'm an avid landscape photographer and have always tent camped. I don't have room to park a full size camper and this seem to fit the bill. A Google search turned up the Mechanix Illustrated plans and I figured if they could build them at home in the 40's, I should be able to build one now. When I came across this forum, my confidence level went up considerably. The amount of info here let me know that help was a few clicks or a quick post away. You folks are awesome. I don't possess the woodworking skills of many of you but I hope my build can help someone along the way.

The name comes from the TV. It's a Willys edition Jeep (in my profile pic). I'm going to use the same color scheme and decided the name fit. (And yes, I know that it's pronounced "willus". I even considered calling the trailer the "Whatchu talking about").

On to the design. My decision to go with an angular build comes from the fact that my wife liked the lines with the Jeep and I was scared of the curves. Y'all (and Steve Fredrick) helped relieve my fear, but my wife still liked the lines so there we are. Didn't take the time to learn Sketchup, so here is my original low-tech design

More to come tomorrow.
Rhinoman64
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Building the Li'l Willy

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:45 pm

Looking forward to your build,

We have a Rubicon I'm building my teardrop to pull behind. My wife said it had to be a traditional teardrop shape. The curves are not hard at all. And we skined with aluminum which was easier than corners that you would have to get the aluminum bent with a break.

Where are you located?

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:36 am

Hi and welcome, keep the posts and pics coming. And as you said a lot of awesome people on here, with the knowledge and experience to help just for the asking.. sure has helped me through my build..
So push on and keep that saw dust flying, keep us updated while we watch your progress.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby DaddyJeep » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:15 am

I look forward to following along. Welcome to another Jeep guy.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Rhinoman64 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:37 am

After deciding to go forward with building the camper (and kinda getting my wife's permission), I started watching Craigslist for a frame. Found one the first week that was a popup frame that the seller had repainted and floored. His work meant he wanted more than I wanted to pay, but I came home with it nonetheless. The main reason I stuck with this one is the dimensions. The frame was 54" wide and there was almost 6' between the hub faces, so I knew my minimum 5' width (for the queen mattress) could be built on it.
The 10' length was a plus.

First order of business, remove the fenders and floor boards.

I'll need to remove the spring assembly. Don't need that extra weight. Did find that the stabilizer jacks were still attached and working so that will save me a little money.

Todd (KTM_Guy), I'm in East Texas. Need to update my profile to show that.

Bryan
Rhinoman64
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:05 pm

Trailer is a good start, specially the dimensions working out for what you want to build. As everyone on here says, be sure to check, clean and pack the wheel bearings.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rhinoman64 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Even though the seller had recently painted the trailer, I didn't know what kind of prep he did nor what kind of paint he used, so I decided to strip it down and redo it. I'd hate to see paint flaking or rust poking through down the line.

I started with a drill-attached paint stripper because I already had it on hand. It worked but it was real slow going. It was also not going to last the job. This started out at 4 or 5 inches.

I bought a wire cup brush for my angle grinder and boy! what a difference. Knocked out the rest really quickly. Just shows how having the right tool can make the job so much easier. Both methods were messy.

I washed the residue off the frame, let it dry, then wiped down the entire thing with mineral spirits. I then sprayed on a coat of primer and then 2 coats of Rust-O-Leum and called it done.

Another big time-waster for me was removing the remnants of the step assembly from the popup. I used everything from a Roto-zip with a cut-off wheel attachment to an angle grinder with some absolutely worthless Harbor Freight metal cut-off disks to a hacksaw and a sledgehammer. Spent probably a couple of hours trying to get the stupid thing off...and it was totally unnecessary...

My original plan was to leave the outriggers on the frame and top them with diamond plate for a sort-of running board effect. A couple of weeks later I realized that this was going to make ingress/egress a bit difficult so I had a welder remove them when he was making some other modifications for me (more on that later). The step assembly had originally been attached to one of those outriggers. :DOH2:

The piece in question: 155904

I'm sure it won't be the last thing I do that wastes time or proves unnecessary on this project.

Hopefully, I'll get to post more tomorrow. I'm trying to get caught up to real time in case I need to ask questions going forward, but 4:15 comes around awfully early so I'm off to bed.

Bryan
Rhinoman64
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:56 am

More and more people building these tear drops and TTT's from Texas, glad to see that.. :)
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby DaddyJeep » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:13 am

A wire wheel on a grinder sure does get things done. My favorite part is picking the little wires that break off out of my clothes and skin. :thumbsup:
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Rhinoman64 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:47 am

Yeah, David there does appear to be a lot of us Texans building these. Found out on a Facebook forum I joined that there are a couple within a few miles of here. What part of the Lone Star state do you call home?
Rhinoman64
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:41 pm

I'm a little north of Austin off 35.. :)
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Return to Build Journals