Cedar 6x10 Ledge Vardo

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Cedar 6x10 Ledge Vardo

Postby Trip42 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:03 pm

I have been a long time lurker on this site but am finely ponying up and starting a build. I purchased a ~5.5x10' trailer and got a steal of a deal on 300 SF of used clear cedar 2x6 decking. I just ordered 2 sheets of 1/2" ACX 4x10 plywood to get my floor and pony walls constructed. I'm based out of Bend, OR and unfortunately winter is setting in. I may not get too much assembled as it'll mostly be too cold for wood glue but maybe I'll construct a driveway work shelter and mill up my components and work during weather windows

Fun fun, hope to receive lots of advice from you all here!
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Cedar 6x10 Ledge Vardo

Postby lincolnlerner » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Bend Oregon the outdoor capital of the world! You are placed at a great spot to travel. Sounds like a great plan. Might need more than two sheets. Looking forward to this build. Congrats!
lincolnlerner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:52 pm

I’ll keep my eye out for your project as I drive around my home town!

I was just glueing up a cabinet frame for my cargo trailer conversion today. The titebond was thick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby Trip42 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:28 am

I've got a completed floor on my trailer!!!
Over the last few days I knocked the dust off my project and got it going. I'll try and figure how to add pictures here soon
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Trip42 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:50 am

Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Trip42 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:53 am

My Floor system assembled and ready to put on the frame. I decided to add aluminum screen below the rigid foam to reduce chances of damage to floor system by critters or road debris while still drain/dry and remain light.

I used pressure treated ~2x2s as floor joists (?). I made sure to add additional wood treatment to all cut edges.

Its a tight fit to get all the foam wedged in. A bit frustrating but a tight fit should be good to have.

I primed the wood and added two coats of Sherwin Williams Superpaint that I picked up at the local ReStore for $4. I secured the joists from underneath with hot dipped galvanized 1 1/2" lag bolts. Some of the holes had no access to predrill from below so it took awhile to locate the precise locations from above :x
Last edited by Trip42 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Trip42 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:12 am

Kinda scary doing this myself and feeling like I had to do it as fast as possible. Still stopped to take a picture though for you. I used PL Premium construction adhesive along the wood joists and PL300 Foamboard adhesive on the foam. I used Titebond II along my halflap plywood joint

Screwed down my ply every ~10" with GRK #9 2" screws. They are coated to handle the pressure treated just fine
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Trip42 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:55 am

Here are the dimensions that I've figured out for my framing

Before installing my walls I used penetrating epoxy on all the plywood edges

I installed 1 1/2" eps foam in my pony wall cavities. I wedged it it real tight and so decided to skip the glue

Until I decide on my permanent supports, I will use these temporary plywood ones i knocked up

I finished my pony walls. I glued everything with more PL premium glue and bolted the walls to the frame with 4-3/8" and 1-5/16" galvanized bolt per side and 3-5/16" bolts for the front wall

Knocked up a jig to cut 1/2 mortises with my router on my ledge boards to add strength and support. First time I've tried something like this...

I had to futz the spline in to get a tight fit, notice the sandpaper and chisel
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Trip42 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:15 am

Demo of about how far my roof will overhang the rear of the trailer. This shows 16", I have about 3" over the front which i may change a bit. I double checked to make sure that I have enough t&g to cover my roof and I have just enough so hopefully I don't have too much waste

Getting my curved roof beam jig created and I worked on finding my arc and drawing my line. My roof beams will have a radius of 79 3/8" and give me an interior max height of about 81 1/2"

Testing out my beam glue up method on the jig that took me a day to build

This is really exciting for me to see as I was quite nervous doing my first curved glue-lam. I used Titebond III and I did this one by myself. For the future ones I will get help as I ran up to the set time on my glue. I think it bonded sufficiently still but this one may end up on top of one of my end walls where it won't be visible.

I had several screw holes/defects on the sides and bottoms which will be visible and so I tried bunging them with cedar pegs I cut. My beams are approx 2" x 2" x 98"

My first beam came out with hairline gaps along some of the seams. In the future I will need to use more glue, put clamping force across the whole width, and get help I think. I did add ~10, 1 3/4" screws from the top side to make sure that there is no slippage or increasing separation

I only need another 72 strips :) Gonna be a lot of saw dust
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Trip42 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:19 am

I'm struggling a bit with the approaching winter. We've had two or three really cold days which I've used for milling wood but I need 50 degree days for more roof beam gluing. My goal is to get a frame up by winter that I can tarp to keep everything dry and un-weathered. I could then fit out the interior when the weather is decent. I plan to do the siding and finishing in the spring assuming I can keep rolling right now
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Az Pete » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:17 pm

nice
Az Pete
Teardrop Builder

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:44 pm

Looks great! :applause:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Trip42 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:25 pm

It's been too long since I posted but I have been busy. I went of vacation for ten days. Finished gluing up my 10th roof beams, glued my ledge boards down, and have been working on framing out my walls. For my walls I used my router a bunch to inset my studs, cut mortises and then install a loose tenon. Now I'm now gluing and screwing my walls together so that I can finally install my roof! A couple pictures to follow
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Trip42 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Using my router, I made a pocket for my stud and then at a 9 degree outslope, mortised both the ledge board (as shown) and the stud to receive a loose tenon

This took lots of time for my 18 studs as everything was cut to fit and needed plenty of elbow grease and hand tools to get it just so

I used titebond 2 to glue the tenon into the stud and then PL Premium to glue the stud to the ledge board. I am attempting to get max rack resistance so that I can skip adding plywood to the exterior of my walls. So far I'm really impressed with the result and I haven't even tight fit the foam between the studs which I expect will additionally limit rack

Here is where I'm at with the front wall mocked up. It's really neat to see her take shape and get a sense of what the finished package will be like!!
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Trip42 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:00 am

Setting my Roof beams: I cut notches in the cedar boards installed above my top plates. Glued and screwed everything together with PL Premium 3x

Roof beams dry fitted: All my roof beams in place, starting to look like I actually might make something of this build!

Building and cladding my end walls: Using 6mm marine plywood on both end walls

Roof going on: Clad my roof with 4" tongue and groove boards. I found these as a deal on craigslist and they already were coated with one pass of lacquer

Foam sandwich bird blocking: I decided to get some insulation between my roof beams. I made a sandwich with 1 1/2" foam and 1/2" cedar to add up to my 2 1/2" wall thickness

I'm really happy about my interior roof view with the exposed beams. I plan to add 2" rigid insulation on the top of my roof

Roof on and tarped, just in time for the first snow of the season :)

Rafter tails trimmed and house wrapped: Trimmed the ends and sites of my roof. Sides overhang about an 1" which should get the water out side of my 1/2" siding
Trip42
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Build Journals