FM82's Bug-out Camper Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: FM82's Bug-out Camper Build

Postby FM82 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:02 pm

More progress pictures! :thumbs up:

First, the headliner. It is nearly completed. As you can see in the picture, I have 7 missing pieces at some of the seams. Those will be added when I get to the walls surrounding the doors. A bit of trimming will need to be done when it's time for the fan to go in, but that will be a quick and simple task.

After juggling a few ideas, I opted for headliner material. The type that I used is made up of flat knit style, brushed tricot polyester with a foam backing. Fairly water resistant, and easy to wipe clean.

The 1/8" aluminum flat bar was mainly for the aesthetics, but also provided added support the paneling.

ImageImage

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I have no idea what I'm doing.
FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:08 pm

The wiring throughout the walls is complete. Not much to show here. The three splices that I made were reconnected with soldering and covered with standard heat shrink tubing. For now, all of the wiring is nested up in the spot where the fuse panel will be located. Tidying everything up, and making all of the final connections will come a little later.Image

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Lastly, I've nearly finished a couple of panels for the front wall. The cutouts will be used to hold small items (cell phone, keys, wallet, etc.) Once I finish them at a later time, it's simplistic functionality will make more sense.

The panels were covered in marine grade vinyl, and a color that isn't ideal, but it was free, so I couldn't complain. I've changed the color since taking these pictures, but I'll get new pictures when they are 100% complete.Image

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Looking good.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby FM82 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Thanks, SC! I appreciate that.

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby twisted lines » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:59 pm

I suggested the (headliner material) because I like it :) got shut down while I was talking :shock:

Watching to see what you do with the pockets.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby FM82 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:08 pm

twisted lines wrote:I suggested the (headliner material) because I like it :) got shut down while I was talking :shock:

Watching to see what you do with the pockets.
Shut down!? No way, man. I'm with you, I really like it. Tbh, it didn't even cross my mind until I had the panels ready to go. I'm used to the old fuzzy headliner material from back in the day. This new material is pretty awesome.

If the mental image in my head comes out like I hope it will, the panels should be pretty cool. Simple, but cool. Who knows whether or not it will come out looking good, or like a 2nd grader's science project haha. We'll see! :frightened:

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Alright guys and gals, bear with me on this one. I have a question, or more of a what would you do kind of thing.

I have a tendency to overcomplicate things, and get myself into cracks at times, so here's where I'm needing another opinion. These compartments were initially intended to be used for storing plates, cups, etc, but I had this idea of fabricating a tank for each side to hold water. From the tanks, I would have hoses ran to the sink, making the sink rely on gravity alone. No pump, no underbelly tank, just a simple gravity fed sink. Drinking water will come from another source.

I haven't taken measurements, but I'm guessing I can get 5-7 gallons from each compartment. That's excluding a portion on the lower end of the compartments to get the containers above the level of the faucet.Image

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby twisted lines » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:53 pm

Here is my thoughts of water in the walls :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP30okjpCko
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby FM82 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:03 am

twisted lines wrote:Here is my thoughts of water in the walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP30okjpCko
OMG hahaha I feel like it would have been easier at that point to just unbolt the toilet, shut the door and kick that towel under the bottom. Let 'er rip, ladies!

Point taken though!

Lower pressure, and a shower drain mounted in the galley! :thumbs up:

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby twisted lines » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Yea your post was good timing for that one, had just seen it. You had a useful thought I had nothing.
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals