Carbon Fiber/Aluminum build for a family of 5

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Carbon Fiber/Aluminum build for a family of 5

Postby StrongFeather » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Here's some interior shots. Not much going on here - it's a pretty utilitarian inside since we have be able to sleep 5 of us. I'll take some time this winter to add some shelving and storage, but it'll be pretty minimal. A queen size mattress that also doubles as a couch will occupy most of the floor, and two cots will hang from the walls, one in front and one to the rear of the cabin doors.

The ceiling is still not done, but this picture shows the rear storage area that creates the rear bunk. It's just screwed in for now. Later it'll get skinned with birch and epoxied in permanently. The rear cot will go right in front of the rear bunk at the same level.
DSC00447.JPG
DSC00447.JPG (111.69 KiB) Viewed 224 times

Here's a shot from the rear bunk looking forward. Again, the ceiling is not finished, but you can see the slot in the front bulkhead that will allow the cool air from the air conditioner to enter the ceiling duct. The front cot will be at the same level as the rear cot & bunk in front of the cabin doors. The black grate on the bottom of the front bulkhead is the return air for the air conditioner.
DSC00449.JPG
DSC00449.JPG (127.25 KiB) Viewed 224 times

This is what it looks like in the dark with the lower interior lights on. The lights are the same landscape lights that I used on the outside for porch lighting and I couldn't be happier with them. Not too bright, not too dim.
DSC00450.JPG
DSC00450.JPG (95.82 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Build Journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71138
Composite Panel Construction Technique viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71192

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
~Red Green
StrongFeather
Teardrop Master

Postby StrongFeather » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:27 pm

Here's a couple shots from our maiden voyage. It was just a quick overnight shakedown trip into the national forest near our house. Everything worked great; no break downs or causalities. It was really cold that night (including a snowy morning hike), but we stayed pretty warm inside with no heat. We did have a little condensation on the part of the roof that is not yet insulated, but other than that everything was great. Plus it was a Thrusday, so no one was around!
IMG_3792.JPG
IMG_3792.JPG (162.79 KiB) Viewed 222 times

Here's a shot of the rear storage door open. I can't wait to plan and built some shelves back here. I'm considering making my own full-extension slide-out cooler to maximize space vs. a Yeti or something similar. I will be adding the lighting and power outlets this winter, but you can see two of those same landscape lights on the bottom of the open rear hatch. They'll be nice to keep the ground lit to avoid tripping on things and or hitting your head on the hatch.
IMG_3790.JPG
IMG_3790.JPG (191.93 KiB) Viewed 222 times

Here's a picture of the front cot. It was actually hung after the first trip, so we didn't get to use it, but my tester said it was very comfortable. It's a little hard to see in the picture, but it's made of two aluminum poles and canvas. The poles sit in wooden brackets that are screwed to the wall. The brackets are open on top, so the poles can just be lifted out and removed or stored. I mounted similar brackets underneath the forward pole that will be used to store the rear pole when it's not in use, giving us some much needed interior space. I'll try to get a picture of the brackets, the rear cot and how they look when stored.
IMG_3826.JPG
IMG_3826.JPG (91.81 KiB) Viewed 222 times

:beer:
Steve

~Red Green
StrongFeather
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:54 pm

Congratulations Steve on (substantial) build completion and the first camping trip! This build was a lot of work I am sure, but it looks great! Thanks for sharing your build here. Looking forward to hear of more trips and experience with this build. I am sure I'll have some questions about your panels building after I study all your posts. :thumbsup: :applause:
My foldable foam trailer build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61344
OP827
Donating Member

Postby StrongFeather » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:45 pm

Thank you, OP. It was a lot of work, a lot of time and a lot of fun.

Here are some pictures of the rear cot.

Deployed...

Stored...

Hangers...

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Red Green
StrongFeather
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals