First time builders - building a "woodie"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First time builders - building a

Postby ojgrsoi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:07 pm

jbell.louisburg wrote:I'll put in a 'minority' vote here -- I happen to love my solid walls.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69699

me too. It's all personal preference. Variety is the spice of life.
Mark
Weatherford - True Texas

https://youtu.be/BKs6XfgAKKc
ojgrsoi
Teardrop Advisor

Re: First time builders - building a "woodie"

Postby nicoleandkyle » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:12 pm

Sorry it's been a while since we posted! We decided to paint the trailer with the color we picked out for the roof. It's been so cold here in North Dakota that it took 2-3 days per coat of paint to dry. We found some time tonight to cut out the bottom layer of our floor. Next step will be to glue the seams and put the framing on. It's not much yet, but still some progress!ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:32 pm

FYI, we love pictures so keep them coming. LOL

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby redbicycle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:05 am

Progress is progress! One step at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby swoody126 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:43 am

what Todd said

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby FM82 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:23 am

Pretty wild color, Nicole. I like it! Any progress is great. Looking good!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I have no idea what I'm doing.
FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! We made a little more progress on the floor framing today. Slowly but surely!ImageImageImageImage

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:18 am

Hi everyone! It's been a long cold winter up here in ND, and so we ended up putting off working more on the project until it finally warmed up more. I thought I should post an update of what we've done since my last post, and possibly get some tips on our homemade doors.

We insulated the floor about a month ago just to get something done. We finished the template. Last night we glued and screwed the outside framing of one wall. We elevated it off the template before going to bed as to avoid the frame getting stuck to the template if any glue got in between them. It's not a lot, but it is progress!

In the 2nd picture you can kind of see how I drew our door on the template (this was before we cut the template out). It's going to be rounded, which I have decided we will be using aluminum t-moulding and a seal to go around the exterior edge of the door. According to pictures of other teardrop trailer doors online, it seems the t-moulding should be able to handle the curvature. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how it can curve so well, so I'm thinking about going to find some in a store to play around with it before completing the framing for the doors.

That's it for now! Any tips are greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Nicole

ImageImageImageImage

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:55 pm

Finished framing one wall. Going to go over and cut out/smooth the edges to make sure we didn't make any critical errors before starting the next wall.ImageImageImage

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sat May 25, 2019 4:12 pm

I haven't posted in here for a while again, but I thought I'd throw up an update. BY THE WAY! We have been heavily following instructions from Dad Rambles YouTube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/gunguyandfam just want to be sure I'm giving credit where credit is due!

At this point we have undercoated our floor with Through the Roof, and we just bolted it down today. We have started on our interior walls with the tongue and groove pine, and hope to finish up that process soon. Looking forward to getting our walls up!ImageImageImage

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:12 pm

Okay! Since my last post we have finished putting up the pine interior on the walls, trimmed + sanded the edges, finished the floor, and we have put one coat of polyurethane on the walls. Wanted to do the floor at the same time but I didn't want to put a screw in the middle of the floor and it needs to be held down. So! We are keeping the cinder blocks in place while the glue cures.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:57 pm

Finishing up the floor and planning to put the walls up tomorrow or Tuesday Image

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nevadatear » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:12 pm

As the owner of a 10 year old woody which we have spent the weekend repairing water damage, you may want to go back to your original thought of epoxy on the outside. Spar varnish really is not enought to protect it from the elements. We have ours epoxied then coated with 3 coats of spar varnish to protect the epoxy, and the failure areas are the edges. Granted, ours is primarily plywood, but friends with woodies that only have varnish are redoing every year. We only have to redo the varnish every 3 years,except of course for water repairs at the joint to the frame from a 12 hour trip in the rain. Just our own experience.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:20 pm

Fyi this Deb talking. I was the chief expoxier and finisher in charge. Randy was the major construction and i was in charge of epoxy and finish.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:56 pm

nevadatear wrote:As the owner of a 10 year old woody which we have spent the weekend repairing water damage, you may want to go back to your original thought of epoxy on the outside. Spar varnish really is not enought to protect it from the elements. We have ours epoxied then coated with 3 coats of spar varnish to protect the epoxy, and the failure areas are the edges. Granted, ours is primarily plywood, but friends with woodies that only have varnish are redoing every year. We only have to redo the varnish every 3 years,except of course for water repairs at the joint to the frame from a 12 hour trip in the rain. Just our own experience.

Hi, Nevadatear! Thank you for the first hand experience information. You have given us a lot to think about. So you just have epoxy directly on your wood and then varnish over the epoxy? What kind of epoxy did you use? Did you also line it with fiberglass?

Thanks,
Nicole and Kyle

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals