The Coddiwompler

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Coddiwompler

Postby eLink » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:10 pm

Welcome to the build journal for The Coddiwompler!
(Coddiwomple (v.) Origin: English Slang Word. Definition: To travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination.)
I figure that it is time for me to stop over-thinking the design and begin the actual building! My progress will be slow, because I also have a ton of other projects that need to be done around the house. But, I hope to get this done in about a year... maybe in time for the 2020 ski season.

The design is based on the Generic Benroy, and it will be 5' wide x 9' long, plus 12 inches of over-tongue storage. It will be 4'-6" tall with 45" cabin head-height.
It will be built on the NT Ironton 5x8 trailer with the typical modifications: Frame width will be cut to 58", Leaf springs will moved back about 6 inches with axle positioned above the spring, tongue extension bar will be added, and larger wheels.
I'm leaning toward solid 3/4" walls for simplicity, but the roof and floor will be insulated. The interior surfaces will be just finished plywood, with minimal, or no exposed hardware, trim or fasteners.

I just received the trailer from Northern Tools. My nearest store is like 2000 miles away in Ohio or something, so it had to be shipped. $198 big ones! They did throw in a $50 gift card! But I am finding that to be useless because none of the tools I'm interested in can be shipped to CA. Oh well.

I'll post my next batch of photos when I have the frame built.

Enjoy!

CoddiwomplerElev.jpg
The Profile
CoddiwomplerElev.jpg (68.45 KiB) Viewed 353 times

Coddiwompler.jpg
Plywood layouts
Coddiwompler.jpg (135.8 KiB) Viewed 353 times

MyGarage.jpg
1st Step: Build the trailer. Well, maybe clear some room in my garage first.
MyGarage.jpg (49.97 KiB) Viewed 353 times
eLink
eLink
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The Coddiwompler

Postby soapcreek » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby redbicycle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:39 pm

Order some wiring or a spare tire or sandpaper from Northern tool. $50 is consumable items is easy on a trailer build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eLink » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 am

Fun with Sketchup 2019. It now has solid section fills and line styles!!
Section-Small.jpg
Notice the dotted spar lines
Section-Small.jpg (28.91 KiB) Viewed 194 times
eLink
eLink
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eLink » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:18 am

Started chopping the cross-members to reduce width of trailer to 58 inches. I cut an inch off of both ends, and re-drilled the bolt holes. In retrospect, I should have cut 2 inches from one end only to reduce the amount of re-drilling.
IMG_4164.JPG
Chop-saw
IMG_4164.JPG (139.83 KiB) Viewed 79 times

I think I am close to finishing the design. I increased the height from 54" to 60". I'm a big dude and I need the headroom!
I have also decided that I need 42" high doors because I would hate having to crouch to see out the windows, and I prefer not bonking my head all the time. I got a price from Challenger for almost $700 each! So I guess will be building them myself. They will look better anyway. I also re-positioned the door to allow me to more easily sit and swivel into the cabin.
5x9x5_Side2.jpg
5x9x5_Side2.jpg (72.88 KiB) Viewed 79 times

5x9x5_3D.jpg
5x9x5_3D.jpg (122.83 KiB) Viewed 79 times
eLink
eLink
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals