The Coddiwompler

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Coddiwompler

Postby eLink » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:10 pm

Welcome to the build journal for The Coddiwompler!
(Coddiwomple (v.) Origin: English Slang Word. Definition: To travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination.)
I figure that it is time for me to stop over-thinking the design and begin the actual building! My progress will be slow, because I also have a ton of other projects that need to be done around the house. But, I hope to get this done in about a year... maybe in time for the 2020 ski season.

The design is based on the Generic Benroy, and it will be 5' wide x 9' long, plus 12 inches of over-tongue storage. It will be 4'-6" tall with 45" cabin head-height.
It will be built on the NT Ironton 5x8 trailer with the typical modifications: Frame width will be cut to 58", Leaf springs will moved back about 6 inches with axle positioned above the spring, tongue extension bar will be added, and larger wheels.
I'm leaning toward solid 3/4" walls for simplicity, but the roof and floor will be insulated. The interior surfaces will be just finished plywood, with minimal, or no exposed hardware, trim or fasteners.

I just received the trailer from Northern Tools. My nearest store is like 2000 miles away in Ohio or something, so it had to be shipped. $198 big ones! They did throw in a $50 gift card! But I am finding that to be useless because none of the tools I'm interested in can be shipped to CA. Oh well.

I'll post my next batch of photos when I have the frame built.

Enjoy!

CoddiwomplerElev.jpg
The Profile
CoddiwomplerElev.jpg (68.45 KiB) Viewed 542 times

Coddiwompler.jpg
Plywood layouts
Coddiwompler.jpg (135.8 KiB) Viewed 542 times

MyGarage.jpg
1st Step: Build the trailer. Well, maybe clear some room in my garage first.
MyGarage.jpg (49.97 KiB) Viewed 542 times
eLink
eLink
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The Coddiwompler

Postby soapcreek » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby redbicycle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:39 pm

Order some wiring or a spare tire or sandpaper from Northern tool. $50 is consumable items is easy on a trailer build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eLink » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 am

Fun with Sketchup 2019. It now has solid section fills and line styles!!
Section-Small.jpg
Notice the dotted spar lines
Section-Small.jpg (28.91 KiB) Viewed 383 times
eLink
eLink
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eLink » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:18 am

Started chopping the cross-members to reduce width of trailer to 58 inches. I cut an inch off of both ends, and re-drilled the bolt holes. In retrospect, I should have cut 2 inches from one end only to reduce the amount of re-drilling.
IMG_4164.JPG
Chop-saw
IMG_4164.JPG (139.83 KiB) Viewed 268 times

I think I am close to finishing the design. I increased the height from 54" to 60". I'm a big dude and I need the headroom!
I have also decided that I need 42" high doors because I would hate having to crouch to see out the windows, and I prefer not bonking my head all the time. I got a price from Challenger for almost $700 each! So I guess will be building them myself. They will look better anyway. I also re-positioned the door to allow me to more easily sit and swivel into the cabin.
5x9x5_Side2.jpg
5x9x5_Side2.jpg (72.88 KiB) Viewed 268 times

5x9x5_3D.jpg
5x9x5_3D.jpg (122.83 KiB) Viewed 268 times
eLink
eLink
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Keep the bottom of the door opening halfway up the mattress so that when you are sitting there your but won’t be on the door frame.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby eLink » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:07 pm

Thanks Tony. I am going to set the door sill at about 2 1/2 inches above the floor... maybe lower if I add an interior doorstop, which, I guess, will have a 5/8" lip. I was considering a 4" folding mattress, but If the door sill bites into the legs too much I suppose I'll have to find a thicker one.

Here is my sidewall/ door sill detail, kinda cobbled together from all the information found in these forums...
Sidewall.jpg
Sidewall.jpg (53.32 KiB) Viewed 120 times
eLink
eLink
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals